Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
During a visit to a Penn State University campus over the weekend i used a gender-neutral restroom. A female student came it to use the restroom while I was in there. It was not a big deal; she did her thing, I did my thing. Nobody saw anything that they shouldn't have seen. We had a nice chat at the sinks and agreed that a gender-neutral restroom worked just fine.

http://thetab.com/us/pennstate/2016/01/22/penn-state-get-gender-neutral-bathrooms-campus-2816

GPK

Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
✟15,132.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
During a visit to a Penn State University campus over the weekend i used a gender-neutral restroom. A female student came it to use the restroom while I was in there. It was not a big deal; she did her thing, I did my thing. Nobody saw anything that they shouldn't have seen. We had a nice chat at the sinks and agreed that a gender-neutral restroom worked just fine.

http://thetab.com/us/pennstate/2016/01/22/penn-state-get-gender-neutral-bathrooms-campus-2816
I agree if they are used appropriately. It is the people who use this situation inappropriately that is of concern. I have seen many articles where men have been caught preying on women and children in these restrooms. It just opens up the possibility for criminal activity. Not offending transgender people is the theory but the reality of the situation is that it is just not safe.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's good to see Penn State get safe bathroom accommodations pointing in the right direction.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/penn-state-joe-paterno-jerry-sandusky-sexual-abuse-scandal

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except that the Sandusky scandal occurred in same-sex locker rooms.

The point being that culture and leadership set the tone. You experienced a good one.

How Penn State handles protecting young minors is a different matter.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The point being that culture and leadership set the tone. You experienced a good one.

How Penn State handles protecting young minors is a different matter.

Penn State is now bending over backwards to protect young minors on campus. Unfortunately those protections were not in place before.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Stanford has gender-neutral restrooms throughout our campus, both in the areas that are exclusively for the community - such as in dorms - and for publicly accessible areas. People actually seem to prefer them. Men because they provide a higher level of privacy than in single-gender restrooms, since there are no unenclosed urinals, and women because the lines tend to be shorter. It does require a bit of mental acclimation, though.

Since the 1990s some colleges have had coed bathrooms on dorm hall floors, so it's not an entirely new concept, but is one that is labeled differently. My stepmom graduated from college back then and said she lived in coed on-campus apartments and dorms that had coed bathrooms. Perhaps because it didn't come with any form of label, such as "gender-neutral" or or with the public divisiveness of now, it generated far less of controversy. The layout most often used is a central area with sinks, and then on either side of it stalls with commodes and cubicles with showers. To me, what's most important is a stall or cubicle door that affords privacy and properly locks. The gender of the person barging in on me because of a defective lock is entirely irrelevant.

To add - I've seen many histrionic threads on here to the effect of "Obama wants our teenage daughters to share bathrooms with men! Oh noes!" I'm a teenage woman who shared a bathroom with many men every day last year (this year I'm interning and living off campus), without even the slightest bit of detriment. I never saw the genitalia of either gender because everyone used individual stalls, and not once did I ever feel vulnerable or compromised.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Stanford has gender-neutral restrooms throughout our campus, both in the areas that are exclusively for the community - such as in dorms - and for publicly accessible areas. People actually seem to prefer them. Men because they provide a higher level of privacy than in single-gender restrooms, since there are no unenclosed urinals, and women because the lines tend to be shorter. It does require a bit of mental acclimation, though.

Since the 1990s some colleges have had coed bathrooms on dorm hall floors, so it's not an entirely new concept, but is one that is labeled differently. My stepmom graduated from college back then and said she lived in coed on-campus apartments and dorms that had coed bathrooms. Perhaps because it didn't come with any form of label, such as "gender-neutral" or or with the public divisiveness of now, it generated far less of controversy. The layout most often used is a central area with sinks, and then on either side of it stalls with commodes and cubicles with showers. To me, what's most important is a stall or cubicle door that affords privacy and properly locks. The gender of the person barging in on me because of a defective lock is entirely irrelevant.

To add - I've seen many histrionic threads on here to the effect of "Obama wants our teenage daughters to share bathrooms with men! Oh noes!" I'm a teenage woman who shared a bathroom with many men every day last year (this year I'm interning and living off campus), without even the slightest bit of detriment. I never saw the genitalia of either gender because everyone used individual stalls, and not once did I ever feel vulnerable or compromised.

That's how it is at my sister's college too & there isn't a fuss about it either.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Sex-neutral lavatories are not a problem (so long as there are no urinals!).

The problem is the notion of either sex-neutral changing rooms or the allowing of people to use the opposite sex's changing rooms [staff edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sex-neutral lavatories are not a problem (so long as there are no urinals!).

The problem is the notion of either sex-neutral changing rooms or the allowing of people to use the opposite sex's changing rooms [staff edit].

Why cant there be urinals?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Urinals in a sex-neutral lavaatory would amount to indecent exposure.
How? Your facing the wall and you have a shield on either side. Unless you are talking about one of the old trough-style urinals that runs the length of the room, you are pretty well protected.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How? Your facing the wall and you have a shield on either side. Unless you are talking about one of the old trough-style urinals that runs the length of the room, you are pretty well protected.

It's really not an environment we should be encouraging; especially when, for example, parents taking young daughters in there whilst a row of men with their ___ hanging out are stood there.

Its a matter of decorum.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's really not an environment we should be encouraging; especially when, for example, parents taking young daughters in there whilst a row of men with their ___ hanging out are stood there. Its a matter of decorum.

If it is shielded from sight what is the issue?

• Agree
Reactions: mayadanielle
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If it is shielded from sight what is the issue?

The issue is that shielding is far from faultless and the general tone of the situation is off.

Can you really not see that?

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's really not an environment we should be encouraging; especially when, for example, parents taking young daughters in there whilst a row of men with their ___ hanging out are stood there.

Its a matter of decorum.
I have never been in a men's restroom so I asked my husband and sons and they said they had never visited a restroom where there was a row of men standing around with their penis's hanging out. They said that men just get the job done and go.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The issue is that shielding is far from faultless and the general tone of the situation is off.

Can you really not see that?

The "general tone of the situation is off" means...???

I was using the mn's room at a beer festival in Scranton. A lady came in, said she couldn't wait in the line for the ladies room and went in one of the stalls. She did her thing, those of us at the urnals did our thing. We all had a nice conversation while we all were peeing and nobody saw anything that they shouldn't have seen.

Upvote 0

Beaker

Jan 31, 2008
South Western Ontario
✟32,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
[Staff edit]

Not having ever gone into a G.N. washroom and being a male in gender, I am wondering, are the G.N. washrooms just stalls like any womans washroom, or do they have the urinals as in the men's washrooms as well as the stalls. If it is just stalls, then are the masses trying to de-masculate us men into having to use a stall even if we only need to pee? I will NEVER be using a G.N. washroom

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not having ever gone into a G.N. washroom and being a male in gender, I am wondering, are the G.N. washrooms just stalls like any womans washroom, or do they have the urinals as in the men's washrooms as well as the stalls. If it is just stalls, then are the masses trying to de-masculate us men into having to use a stall even if we only need to pee? I will NEVER be using a G.N. washroom

The one I used had stalls and urinals. I cannot say that they all have urinals.

Upvote 0