• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  1. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+10,984
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Hi,

I read on another thread that the Roman Catholic teaching on Purgatory may relate to the Jewish concept of Gehenna. I don't know anything more about it than that. Any thoughts on that?

Many thanks,

Tom

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Deadworm

Deadworm Well-Known Member

+702
    Methodist
    Single
    An excellent question! Jewish (and Jesus') Purgatory is compared to Gehenna because in ancient rabbinic theology Jews with mediocre spirituality are NOT PERMANENTLY confined to Gehenna. For example, in one ancient rabbinic tradition, such Jews are released from Gehenna in a year! Thus, the fires of Gehenna are figurative, purifying, and educational.

This point is thrillingly important because Gehenna is Jesus' preferred term for Hell and because He elaborates His Gehenna concept with the image of Hell as a debtor's prison, from which ultimate relase is possible by paying off sin's debt (See e. g. Matthew 18:34). By implication, God's love never permanently abandons anyone after death, because in some unspecified ways the "debt" of Hell-bound sinners can be paid off. This insight removes the stigma of a vindictive unloving God of wrath and transforms Gehenna into an educational system. In this respect, it is important to note that the Hebrew (olam) and Greek (aionios) words often translated "eternal" don't actually mean that; rather, they mean for an indefinite or age-long period of time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+10,984
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Thanks for the informative answer

4. lordjeff

lordjeff Active Member

+92
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single

Purgatory is a man-made Church invented doctrine. Makes no sense & this is why. If Jesus said: It is finished. And then there is this after-condition that it's not really finished, then faith is in vain. Generations of people committing sin upon sin. You know if you overthought every second of the day, you can get pretty mentally sick. Because mankind is never perfect. So it makes more sense that the cross finishes it once & for all.

5. Joyous Song

Joyous Song Well-Known Member

+589
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Purgatory is mercy! True HaShem, praise be He, could just make it so that you fell short to hell with you. But I believe He is merciful, so that He will throw may throw one into hell with a time limit. That time limit is based on how much you loved here on earth. It is that love and hunger for Him that helps to finish the purification process and allow far more into grace and mercy than would normally be the case. The the way is indeed narrow, the the L-rd is merciful as well.

So I certainly pray their is hope after death, I not so arrogant and foolish to believe I not fall short. Of course maybe it my age...