Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, he didn't -- read it again.
"But for those folks who’ve lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now, because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back. And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned [Trump] who I'm not going to advertise for -- that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well, how exactly are you [Trump] going to do that? What are you [Trump] going to do? There’s no answer to it. He [Trump] just says, well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal. Well, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you [Trump] have? And usually the answer is he doesn’t have an answer." - Obama said that.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I proved my point by providing proof that Obama said what I said he did. Obama said Trump would need a magic wand if he wanted to bring back the jobs that had left. Obama said he wasn't going to mention Trump's name, but he clearly alluded to him. Here's the part where he said it:

"But for those folks who’ve lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now, because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back. And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned [Trump] who I'm not going to advertise for -- that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well, how exactly are you [Trump] going to do that? What are you [Trump] going to do? There’s no answer to it. He [Trump] just says, well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal. Well, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you [Trump] have? And usually the answer is he doesn’t have an answer." - Obama

Obama explained that the reason he would not say Trump's name is he didn't want to advertise for him.

In my post, I didn't say that Obama said Trump's name when he talked about him. As Obama showed, it's possible to talk about someone without actually saying their name.

QFT

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
"But for those folks who’ve lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now, because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back. And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned [Trump] who I'm not going to advertise for -- that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well, how exactly are you [Trump] going to do that? What are you [Trump] going to do? There’s no answer to it. He [Trump] just says, well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal. Well, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you [Trump] have? And usually the answer is he doesn’t have an answer." - Obama said that.

Very good! he did indeed say two words: "magic wand."

Now, perhaps you think you you can put whatever you wish in his mouth, so long as you include those two words -- alas, truth does not work that way.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Now, perhaps you think you you can put whatever you wish in his mouth, so long as you include those two words -- alas, truth does not work that way.

And to whom was Mr Obama referencing?

And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned who I'm not going to advertise for -- that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well, how exactly are you [Trump] going to do that? What are you [Trump] going to do? There’s no answer to it. He [Trump] just says, well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal. Well, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you [Trump] have? And usually the answer is he doesn’t have an answer." - Obama
Who is the person “you just mentioned.

Please, it is as simple as stating a name

And that person is....... truth please

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

You're being vague. What exactly are you disagreeing with?

Are you disagreeing because Obama didn't say Trump's name directly?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And to whom was Mr Obama referencing?

And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned who I'm not going to advertise for -- that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well, how exactly are you [Trump] going to do that? What are you [Trump] going to do? There’s no answer to it. He [Trump] just says, well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal. Well, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you [Trump] have? And usually the answer is he doesn’t have an answer." - Obama
Who is the person “you just mentioned.

Please, it is as simple as stating a name

And that person is....... truth please

Not whom -- what... as in a plan -- which Donald wasn't revealing.

Did Donald ever answer that, by the way?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You're being vague. What exactly are you disagreeing with?

Are you disagreeing because Obama didn't say Trump's name directly?

No. I'm disagreeing because Obama never said Donald needed a magic wand -- Obama said that Donald needed a plan.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No. I'm disagreeing because Obama never said Donald needed a magic wand -- Obama said that Donald needed a plan.
Wait. Are you thinking that I was saying Obama literally meant that Trump needs a magic wand? If you thought that then you misunderstood my post. I understood what Obama said about the "magic wand" as a figuratively rhetorical question, a way of saying he didn't think it was possible for Trump to bring those jobs back. And I don't see where Obama said the jobs can be brought back with a plan. In fact, here's what he said just before the "magic wand" comment:

"But for those folks who’ve lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now, because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back. "
- Obama said that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

like the person you just mentioned

Who is the person “you” just mentioned.

He is speaking of a person. Who is that person.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Wait. Are you thinking that I was saying Obama literally meant that Trump needs a magic wand?

I'm thinking you meant what you said... and now you're backtracking.

If you thought that then you misunderstood my post. I understood what Obama said about the "magic wand" figuratively as him saying he didn't think it was possible for Trump to bring those jobs back. And I don't see where Obama said the jobs can be brought back with a plan.

I see Obama asking repeatedly if Donald had a plan... if you keep reading, you'll see it too.

"But for those folks who’ve lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now, because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back. "
- Obama said that.

And Obama is absolutely correct -- coal jobs, for example, are not coming back. America is moving beyond coal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm thinking you meant what you said... and now you're backtracking.
I'm not backtracking. I'm telling you what I meant by what I said. I didn't contradict what I said before. Obama didn't have to say "I don't mean this literally" about the "magic wand." So why are you insisting that I had to include that disclaimer when I mentioned it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Obama hit some good numbers too. However, it is easy to hit an improved number when you were down or even the year before. It is tough to accelerate this late in the business cycle. Black unemployment now at or near the lowest in history. Trump tax and regulatory policies are creating better growth, in fact so much that the Federal Reserve having to slow things down by putting on the brakes with higher interest rates.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not backtracking. I'm telling you what I meant by what I said. I didn't contradict what I said before. Obama didn't have to say "I don't mean this literally" about the "magic wand." So why are you insisting that I had to include that disclaimer when I mentioned it?

I insist that you don't misrepresent what Obama said anymore.

He did not say "Trump needs a magic wand to bring back jobs."

He did say:

1. you need a plan to bring back jobs.
2. Donald was big on talk, but had no plan.
3. Some jobs are not coming back no matter what.

Let's unpack that, shall we?

1 is obviously true... don't you think?
2 is debatable -- we now know that Donald is planning to use the three T's -- tax cuts, tariffs, and trade wars -- to bring jobs back to the US. What neither Obama nor anyone else can possibly know is whether Donald had that plan all along, or came up with it later.
3 is also, sadly, obviously true. Some jobs are gone, and gone for good... don't you think?

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He did say:

1. you need a plan to bring back jobs.
Obama doesn't say that those jobs can come back with a plan for it. Are you looking at the same Town Hall talk that I provided a link for?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
like the person you just mentioned

Who is the person “you” just mentioned.

He is speaking of a person. Who is that person.

@TLK Valentine i insist you answer the question. Since we are insisting things from each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,692.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Sure, he put a plan in place to save jobs at e.g. a Carrier plant in Indiana : https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ry-trump-made-deal-to-keep-open-idUSKBN1F02TL

More than 200 workers clocked in for their final shifts on Thursday at Carrier Corp. in Indianapolis in the latest round of layoffs at a plant President Donald Trump toured in December 2016 to trumpet a deal to save jobs and prevent its closure.
Now obviously it was a failure of a plan, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a plan of some sort.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Obama doesn't say that those jobs can come back with a plan for it. Are you looking at the same Town Hall talk that I provided a link for?

He said you're not going to bring jobs back without a plan, and asked (not literally; disclaimer for your benefit), "what's the plan?"

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
@TLK Valentine i insist you answer the question. Since we are insisting things from each other.

Are you still hung up on the wrong question? Yes, indeed, it was Donald... but that wasn't the question, was it?

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He said you're not going to bring jobs back without a plan, and asked (not literally; disclaimer for your benefit), "what's the plan?"
The current plan appears to be when decisions are made that lose jobs, give those people who lose jobs billions of dollars for welfare. So long as they are part of base. I think if not part of base, there will be no billions of dollars coming.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The current plan appears to be when decisions are made that lose jobs, give those people who lose jobs billions of dollars for welfare. So long as they are part of base. I think if not part of base, there will be no billions of dollars coming.

But of course -- you pay off your base to overlook the economic problems you're bringing down on them, so that they'll vote to keep you and your party in power.

Now that's a plan.

Upvote 0