Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Instead of nitpicking, why not be happy that the economy is doing well?
It's not a nitpick. It's a significant difference. Trying to equate the two and acting like Trump is some sort of economic God for doing what people said isn't possible when he hasn't actually done so is sloppy at best and dishonest at worst.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟698,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So your claim is that he was trying to reverse the economic trend of the Obama administration?

No claim, just stating the facts as they’ve happened.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,747,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Also, why are people having so much trouble understanding the difference between a quarterly growth in the GDP, which can vary a lot, and a annual growth in the GDP which is the actual important one. The people who said that Trump couldn't achieve 3% growth were talking about the annual growth, not quarterly.
Right.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's not a nitpick. It's a significant difference. Trying to equate the two and acting like Trump is some sort of economic God for doing what people said isn't possible when he hasn't actually done so is sloppy at best and dishonest at worst.
Can you at least admit that the economy is doing well?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,185,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why did Obama say that Trump would have to wave a magic wand to bring back jobs?
Because what he's promising, mass low skill employment in mills, factories and mines, is not coming back except for magical means.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Because he didn't say that. Go back and listen to Obama's townhall.

MS. IFILL: Thank you, Mr. President. Thank you, Mr. Kurchner.

As you may have noticed, following this election, Donald Trump came to Indiana and talked a lot about what happened with the Carrier Corporation and shipping their jobs out of state. Here is someone who worked for Carrier, and he has a question for you.

Q How are you doing, Mr. President?

THE PRESIDENT: How are you?

Q My name is Eric Cottingham (ph). And I'm representing the Steelworkers Union, No. 1999. And I'm trying to find out what do we have left as far as all of our jobs are leaving in Indianapolis. And I see here you're doing a lot of things, but in Indianapolis, there’s nothing there for us. I mean, what’s next? What can we look forward to in the future as far as jobs, employment, whatever? Because all of our jobs have left or in the process of leaving, sir.

THE PRESIDENT: Well, in fact, we've seen more manufacturing jobs created since I've been President than any time since the 1990s. That's a fact. And if you look at just the auto industry as an example, they’ve had record sales and they’ve hired back more people over the last five years than they have for a very long, long time. We actually make more stuff, have a bigger manufacturing base today than we've had in most of our history. The problems have been -- part of the problems have had to do with jobs going overseas. And this is one of the reasons why I've been trying to negotiate trade deals to raise wages and environmental standards in other countries so that they’re not undercutting us.

But, frankly, part of it has had to do with automation. You go into an auto factory today that used to have 10,000 and now they’ve got a thousand people making the same number of cars or more. And so what that means is, even though we're making the same amount of stuff in our manufacturing sector, we're employing fewer people.

Now, the good news is that there are entire new industries that are starting to pop up, and you're actually seeing some manufacturers coming back to the United States because they’re starting to realize, you know what, energy prices are lower here, workers are better here, this is our biggest market, and so even though we off-shored and went someplace else before, now it turns out we're better off going ahead and manufacturing here.

But for those folks who’ve lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now, because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back. And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned who I'm not going to advertise for -- that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well, how exactly are you going to do that? What are you going to do? There’s no answer to it. He just says, well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal. Well, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you have? And usually the answer is he doesn’t have an answer. More

Source:
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2016/06/02/remarks-president-pbs-newshour-town-hall-discussion-gwen-ifill-elkhart

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

As you may have noticed, following this election, Donald Trump came to Indiana and talked a lot about what happened with the Carrier Corporation and shipping their jobs out of state. Here is someone who worked for Carrier, and he has a question for you.

Q My name is Eric Cottingham (ph). And I'm representing the Steelworkers Union, No. 1999. And I'm trying to find out what do we have left as far as all of our jobs are leaving in Indianapolis. And I see here you're doing a lot of things, but in Indianapolis, there’s nothing there for us. I mean, what’s next? What can we look forward to in the future as far as jobs, employment, whatever? Because all of our jobs have left or in the process of leaving, sir.

THE PRESIDENT: Well, in fact, we've seen more manufacturing jobs created since I've been President than any time since the 1990s. That's a fact. And if you look at just the auto industry as an example, they’ve had record sales and they’ve hired back more people over the last five years than they have for a very long, long time. We actually make more stuff, have a bigger manufacturing base today than we've had in most of our history. The problems have been -- part of the problems have had to do with jobs going overseas. And this is one of the reasons why I've been trying to negotiate trade deals to raise wages and environmental standards in other countries so that they’re not undercutting us.

But, frankly, part of it has had to do with automation. You go into an auto factory today that used to have 10,000 and now they’ve got a thousand people making the same number of cars or more. And so what that means is, even though we're making the same amount of stuff in our manufacturing sector, we're employing fewer people.

Now, the good news is that there are entire new industries that are starting to pop up, and you're actually seeing some manufacturers coming back to the United States because they’re starting to realize, you know what, energy prices are lower here, workers are better here, this is our biggest market, and so even though we off-shored and went someplace else before, now it turns out we're better off going ahead and manufacturing here.

But for those folks who’ve lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now, because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back. And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned who I'm not going to advertise for -- that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well, how exactly are you going to do that? What are you going to do? There’s no answer to it. He just says, well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal. Well, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you have? And usually the answer is he doesn’t have an answer. More

Source:
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/the-press-office/2016/06/02/remarks-president-pbs-newshour-town-hall-discussion-gwen-ifill-elkhart

Thank you for proving my point. Obama did not, as you claimed, say that Donald would need a magic want to bring back jobs... he said you need a plan.

Upvote 0

AllButNone

Jan 18, 2017
Canada
✟77,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Also, why are people having so much trouble understanding the difference between a quarterly growth in the GDP, which can vary a lot, and a annual growth in the GDP which is the actual important one. The people who said that Trump couldn't achieve 3% growth were talking about the annual growth, not quarterly.

What you've written can't be stressed enough. The celebration here is maddening. The arguments of Trump's critics are being misrepresented, either deliberately or through ignorance. And it boggles my mind that people can't concede the basic fact that Trump critics weren't talking about single quarter growth.

The critics weren't even talking about annual growth, they were talking about sustained annual growth. It should be possible to juice the economy for a single year just through large increases in the deficit, but deficit spending isn't going to create a significant long-term benefit.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Source:

How refreshing to read a President who responds in complete, coherent paragraphs.

[...and his questions remain unanswered]

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Obama suggested that Trump would need a figurative magic wand if he wanted to bring back the jobs that had left. Obama said he wasn't going to mention Trump's name, but he clearly alluded to him. Here's the part where he said it:

"But for those folks who’ve lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now, because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back. And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned [Trump] who I'm not going to advertise for -- that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well, how exactly are you [Trump] going to do that? What are you [Trump] going to do? There’s no answer to it. He [Trump] just says, well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal. Well, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you [Trump] have? And usually the answer is he doesn’t have an answer." - Obama

Obama explained that the reason he would not say Trump's name is he didn't want to advertise for him.

In my post, I didn't say that Obama said Trump's name when he talked about him. As Obama showed, it's possible to talk about someone without actually saying their name.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
No, I proved my point by providing proof that Obama said what I said he did. Obama said Trump would need a magic wand if he wanted to bring back the jobs that had left. Obama said he wasn't going to mention Trump's name, but he clearly alluded to him. Here's the part where he said it:

"But for those folks who’ve lost their job right now because a plant went down to Mexico, that isn't going to make you feel better. And so what we have to do is to make sure that folks are trained for the jobs that are coming in now, because some of those jobs of the past are just not going to come back. And when somebody says -- like the person you just mentioned [Trump] who I'm not going to advertise for -- that he’s going to bring all these jobs back, well, how exactly are you [Trump] going to do that? What are you [Trump] going to do? There’s no answer to it. He [Trump] just says, well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal. Well, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you [Trump] have? And usually the answer is he doesn’t have an answer." - Obama

Obama explained that the reason he would not say Trump's name is he didn't want to advertise for him.

In my post, I didn't say that Obama said Trump's name when he talked about him. As Obama showed, it's possible to talk about someone without actually saying their name.

The issue with what you said wasn't that Obama did or didn't say Trump's name. It's your claim "Why did Obama say that Trump would have to wave a magic wand to bring back jobs?"

You need to actually listen to what Obama said. He didn't say Trump needed a magic wand to bring back jobs. He specifically said "some jobs" aren't going to be coming back. Specific manufacturing jobs. The jobs that have been created in the current economy aren't the manufacturing jobs Obama was referring to. He talks about training workers for the jobs of the future, not the jobs of the past (i.e. specific manufacturing jobs which are not coming back because they've become obsolete).

Moreover, the magic wand reference was specifically regarding bringing back jobs that have become obsolete by technology. He absolutely did not say "Trump would have to wave a magic wand to bring back jobs". If that's what you took from that clip from Obama, the issue is with your comprehension.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No, I proved my point by providing proof that Obama said what I said he did. Obama said Trump would need a magic wand if he wanted to bring back the jobs that had left.

No, he didn't -- read it again.

Upvote 0