Gays march through Jerusalem

StogusMaximus

Feb 5, 2002
Visit site
✟4,841.00
Faith
Protestant
Organisers said it was a protest against hatred

Thousands of Israeli gays and lesbians have marched through Jerusalem for the holy city's first gay pride parade.

There was heavy police protection and fierce opposition from ultra-Orthodox Jews and other right-wingers to the march, which took place a few hours before the start of the Jewish Sabbath.

Ultra-Orthodox Jews condemn homosexuality as a disgrace

Orthodox Jewish groups had put up posters condemning the march as blasphemy, saying it would drive holiness out of the city.

Organisers of the parade, which included the Jerusalem Open House, said it was a march against hatred in a city where religious opposition to homosexuality dominates.

One organiser told the crowd: "We did not believe the day would come when this could happen in Jerusalem.

"It wasn't simple, but there are people here for whom this is their first day out of the closet to get out of the dark and into the light."

Estimates of the number of participants ranged from 2,000 to 4,000.

Many were brightly dressed and carrying the rainbow flag of the gay movement in the afternoon sunshine.

The parade kicked off in central Jerusalem and made its way to Independence Park, where a concert was organised featuring a line-up of prominent gay Israeli singers and entertainers.

But the march also addressed the continuing violence between Israelis and Palestinians and black balloons were released to commemorate the victims of the uprising.

We won't let this become Sodom

Among the posters, one called for "Free condoms, free Palestine".

Police had prepared for possible disruptions by Palestinian militants and other Israelis who opposed the march.

But only around 50 protesters were seen on the side of the one-kilometre (half-mile) route, holding signs reading: "We won't let this become Sodom," a reference to the Biblical city known for its depravations.

Before the march, Jerusalem's Deputy Mayor Rabbi Haim Miller, denounced the participants.

"I think they have a problem, they have a perversion, it is a disgrace," he said.

"Before, you would be ashamed of this. A person who had this problem used to hide in the street. Today they want to go out into the city streets and call it 'pride'."

Homosexuality is not considered a crime in Israel, and a number of courts have even recognised the rights of gay couples.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_2031000/2031817.stm

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No! HE would not look out for people flaunting their sins.
He would only look out for them if it were a repentance rally.
How dare people unrepentantly practicing immorality defile the Holy City in such a way?
Why didn't they march through Ramallah instead. :mad:
They all deserve an eternity in you-know-where.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmm. Well, if He wouldn't look out for people flaunting their sins, those people must not have been flaunting any sins. Sorta makes you wonder. Maybe what they were flaunting was not, in and of itself, sinful. For all I know, the dozens of scholars who think that, and who say they have been guided by God away from their previous positions of hatred, are correct.

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
"They all deserve an eternity in you-know-where."

Pardon me, isn't there something in the bible about not judging, lest you be judged? It is one thing to believe that God will condemn these people for their sins, and quite another one to condemn them to Hell oneself. Statements such as these do not merely display concerns over public morality; they are a direct expression of hatred.

Upvote 0

sr. scholls

The dimmest of lights
May 4, 2002
Alaska
Visit site
✟1,934.00
Faith
Protestant
I agree with Rose-Mary and Brimshak. I totally disagree with homosexuality, it says in Galations 5 that people that practice things like that will not inherit the Kingdom of God, but their sin is NO greater than ours. Who are we, being so sinful ourselves, able to judge another's sins? Just pray that they turn from their sin towards Jesus instead.

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"It wasn't simple, but there are people here for whom this is their first day out of the closet to get out of the dark and into the light. "

I feel that they are still living in the dark. I pray that one day Jesus will lead them into true light.

:) LOVE

Upvote 0
This topic is always so extreme. People are either for it or against it. Not hardly any middle of the roaders.
This convinces me that these issues are a battle between god and satan.
The bible says that man shall not have sex with man. It is a sin. The same goes for women.
These people are not showing pride or how brave they are. They are showing themselves in shame before God and hell is the price they will pay if the don't seek redemption.
rek.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe that gays live under a misguided notion that human acceptance will nullify their sin.

I am not a gay hater. For they are people, worthy of our Christian love. But I could never agree with them that their lifestyle is agreeable to God. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather then lovers of God-having a form of godliness but denying it's power. Have nothing to do with them. II Timothy 3:1-5.NIV

GySgt
James

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Catchup
I believe that gays live under a misguided notion that human acceptance will nullify their sin.

I am not a gay hater. For they are people, worthy of our Christian love. But I could never agree with them that their lifestyle is agreeable to God. :sigh:

http://www.reluctantjourney.co.uk/

I've known too many gay people who were told by God that their personal way of living was acceptable to Him to really doubt it.

Once again, there is no "gay lifestyle" any more than there's a "straight lifestyle". It could be that every straight person you've ever met has exactly the same pattern of sexual behaviors, but it's not been my experience so far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You keep saying this, but no amount of repeating it will change whether it's true or not.

Homosexuality is an inborn quality of some people. It is not subject to moral considerations. Having gay sex may be sinful; it's at least meaningful to consider the question. However, this is a question subject to legitimate debate, and many scholars have researched the issue at some length. Some come to the conclusion that it's sinful; others come to the conclusion that it isn't.

Once again, please consider taking the time to read the thread on this over in General Apologetics. The issues have been thoroughly explored.

This goes in apologetics because most of the Christians I know spend most of their apologetics time apologizing for the hateful and false claims made by other Christians.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Kristen
SEEBS....The Lord can't look upon sin!!!

Someone had better get a time machine and go back and tell Jesus that, he seemed to spend a lot of time talking to sinners. Maybe no one had informed Him that He was unable to even look upon sin?

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seebs: I took a look at your web site. I know your intentions are admirable. But you can not change the Bible nor God. Homosexual activity is a sin. God speaks of that many times in very direct point blank terms.

Are we to hate the Gays. NO, defiantly not. We are to love all people. Because I do love them I will not align myself with your beliefs. I will not tell them that everything is going to be just dandy and God understands. That would be so nice. It sounds as sweet and good as sugar candy. But I know, that at the end of their walk of life... it would be in reality the most cruelest thing I could do!

Shining a light is much better than cuddling someone in their darkness.

Upvote 0

Kristen

Blah Blah
Dec 24, 2001
California
Visit site
✟6,488.00
Faith
Christian
Someone had better get a time machine and go back and tell Jesus that, he seemed to spend a lot of time talking to sinners. Maybe no one had informed Him that He was unable to even look upon sin?

Hab 1:13 [Thou art] of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: wherefore lookest thou upon them that deal treacherously, [and] holdest thy tongue when the wicked devoureth [the man that is] more righteous than he?

Psa 66:18 If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear [me]:

Jhn 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

It clearly says homosexuality is a sin. The Lord was not with those gay marchers. They are living clearly in sin.

Upvote 0