Gay theology (i.e. Mel White, Soulforce) why even try?

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gay theologians posit that the Bible affirms same-gender sex acts can be engaged in by Christians.

By what authority and by what scriptural support do they do this?

It is broken down by them to this: The Bible is silent on condemning "homosexuality," and it is claimed by gay theology the Bible has some supporting evidence approving same-gender sexual behavior.

Gay theologians present only a few examples of or for this position.

The first is argument from silence.

Sodom (sodomy) was about inhospitality or pagan religion worship, which included same-gender sex acts for adherants as a matter of worship. If a person avoids pagan religion he/she are free to engage in same-gender sexual unions. (Genesis 18, 19, Ezekiel 16)

Ruth and Naomi, a mother in law and daughter in law are presented by gay theology as having had a lesbian relationship. Ruth, went on to marry a man named Boaz. They had a son named Obed. (Book of Ruth)

Next is David and Jonathan whose close friendship is said to include a homosexual encounter. (1 Samuel 18, 2 Samuel 1)

The last is a situation where a Roman Soldier ownes a slave boy (pais) and is said to have a sexual relationship with this slave. This slave had become sick and Jesus was asked by this Roman commander to heal the boy, and since Jesus healed the slave-boy, this is a gay affirming situation. (Matthew 8, Luke 7)

All of these incidents can be easily explained as NOT affirming same-gender sex (as being apporpriate behavior for believers, as in the case of the Roman and the Sodomites) and can in the case of Naomi and Ruth and David and Jonathan can be explained as common and exceptional love between people with no sexual aspect at all.

There are many places in scripture that shows sexual immorality is to be avoided and/or given up and repented of by believers. And there is the definition of marriage being man/woman as an immutable structure (for believers) designed as such by God the Father. (Matthew 19, Mark 10)

Why then does gay theology even exist?

Why try?

FlamingFemme

The Flaming One
May 2, 2008
USA
✟12,903.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Because there are gay people (believe it or not) that believe in G-d. They also know that G-d made them the way they are, and, since G-d supposedly makes no mistakes, they know that they are loved by G-d just as you are. As for the Bible, people like yourself consistently use it to condemn gay people, even though those passages are highly debatable, as well. You accuse gay people of using 'gay theology', but when you use the Bible to condemn any of G-d's children, you are using "anti-gay theology" - Not to mention, you come across quite a bit as speaking for G-d, which I find highly arrogant. Why don't you leave the judging to G-d, and leave the non-heterosexual people alone to live their lives, and love who they love?

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gay theologians posit that the Bible affirms same-gender sex acts can be engaged in by Christians.

It is broken down by them to this: The Bible is silent on condemning "homosexuality," and it is claimed by gay theology the Bible has some supporting evidence approving same-gender sexual behavior.

Sodom (sodomy) was about inhospitality or pagan religion worship, which included same-gender sex acts for adherants as a matter of worship. If a person avoids pagan religion he/she are free to engage in same-gender sexual unions. (Genesis 18, 19, Ezekiel 16)

Ruth and Naomi, a mother in law and daughter in law are presented by gay theology as having had a lesbian relationship. Ruth, went on to marry a man named Boaz. They had a son named Obed. (Book of Ruth)

Next is David and Jonathan whose close friendship is said to include a homosexual encounter. (1 Samuel 18, 2 Samuel 1)

The last is a situation where a Roman Soldier ownes a slave boy (pais) and is said to have a sexual relationship with this slave. This slave had become sick and Jesus was asked by this Roman commander to heal the boy, and since Jesus healed the slave-boy, this is a gay affirming situation. (Matthew 8, Luke 7)

All of these incidents can be easily explained as NOT affirming same-gender sex (as being apporpriate behavior for believers, as in the case of the Roman and the Sodomites) and can in the case of Naomi and Ruth and David and Jonathan can be explained as common and exceptional love between people with no sexual aspect at all.

There are many places in scripture that shows sexual immorality is to be avoided and/or given up and repented of by believers. And there is the definition of marriage being man/woman as an immutable structure (for believers) designed as such by God the Father. (Matthew 19, Mark 10)

Why try?

So the homosexual pastor might keep his job or find another "SYMPATHETIC" audience to pay him his salary. It's as simple as that.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because there are gay people (believe it or not) that believe in G-d. They also know that G-d made them the way they are, and, since G-d supposedly makes no mistakes, they know that they are loved by G-d just as you are. As for the Bible, people like yourself consistently use it to condemn gay people, even though those passages are highly debatable, as well. You accuse gay people of using 'gay theology', but when you use the Bible to condemn any of G-d's children, you are using "anti-gay theology" - Not to mention, you come across quite a bit as speaking for G-d, which I find highly arrogant. Why don't you leave the judging to G-d, and leave the non-heterosexual people alone to live their lives, and love who they love?

GOD also made Lucifer and later called him a liar when he perverted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FlamingFemme

The Flaming One
May 2, 2008
USA
✟12,903.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
GOD also made Lucifer and later called him a liar when he perverted.
Pedophilia, inappropriate behavior with animals, necrophilia, and now Satan himself? Why do you feel the need to compare homosexual people with horrible crimes, and, now, the Devil? Why, in your opinion, are homosexuals so EVIL?

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pedophilia, inappropriate behavior with animals, necrophilia, and now Satan himself? Why do you feel the need to compare homosexual people with horrible crimes, and, now, the Devil? Why, in your opinion, are homosexuals so EVIL?

Evil is evil. If you break one commandment have not you broken them all? Why do you try so hard to make homosexuals out to be good? Only GOD is good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Evil is evil. If you break one commandment have not you broken them all. Why do you try so hard to make homosexuals out to be good. Only GOD is good.

Everyone has broken commandments - not just homosexuals.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,589.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Why try?

I'll give it a 4/10. It has a good beat and I can dance to it, but the lyrics make no sense.

Upvote 0

FlamingFemme

The Flaming One
May 2, 2008
USA
✟12,903.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Evil is evil. If you break one commandment have not you broken them all? Why do you try so hard to make homosexuals out to be good? Only GOD is good.
LIke Cantata said, everyone has broken commandments - And you even just said: "only G-D is good". So, once again, why do you insist on portraying homosexuals as being more evil than any other group of people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LIke Cantata said, everyone has broken commandments - And you even just said: "only G-D is good". So, once again, why do you insist on portraying homosexuals as being more evil than any other group of people?

Evil originates among those who promote sin as good.

Upvote 0

jadebullet

Jan 31, 2008
✟7,688.00
Faith
Christian
but being a homosexual doesnt mean that you are damned forever like some people believe. Plus in refference to Satan, couldnt it be possible that God created him for the purpose of falling. God has a plan for everything, everything is already written out. Without evil there can be no good so what if God created Satan to be evil, to fall, and to give us a moral lowground to try and escape from.

BTW this statement in no way means that i worship the devil, im just saying that he might have been created for a specific purpose.

Upvote 0

FlamingFemme

The Flaming One
May 2, 2008
USA
✟12,903.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Evil originates among those who promote sin as good.
IMHO, Evil originates among those who are so arrogant to believe that they can speak for G-d.
I'm glad that you are secure in your beliefs. But when you try to say that my G-d (because She's mine, too, y'know) rejects me and my capacity to Love, you're spouting blasphemy.

Reactions: Baggins
Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I've never understood why homosexuals would want to be part of a religion which gets it so laughably wrong on sexual ethics to be honest.

The pro-gay interpretations do seem a little bit of stretch to me.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

It's nearly as unconvincing as feminist interpretations of Genesis. I wish they'd just give it up as a bad job, sometimes. I suppose it's done as an attempt to talk to other Christians on their own terms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
but being a homosexual doesnt mean that you are damned forever like some people believe. Plus in refference to Satan, couldnt it be possible that God created him for the purpose of falling. God has a plan for everything, everything is already written out. Without evil there can be no good so what if God created Satan to be evil, to fall, and to give us a moral lowground to try and escape from.

BTW this statement in no way means that i worship the devil, im just saying that he might have been created for a specific purpose.

God is good, so clearly GOOD has existed without evil. GOD created Lucifer to be a being who would want to worship GOD without GOD creating a robot. Clearly GOD realized that Lucifer would not; however, GOD ALLOWED satan to happen so that we would happen and love GOD for HIS love towards us, that though we were yet sinners CHRIST died for us. HIS eternal intent seems to be to bring HIS chosen back to the garden --- NEW Heaven and NEW Earth ---- See the chapter 21 of Revelations.

Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
God is good, so clearly GOOD has existed without evil. GOD created Lucifer to be a being who would want to worship GOD without GOD creating a robot. Clearly GOD realized that Lucifer would not; however, GOD ALLOWED satan to happen so that we would happen and love GOD for HIS love towards us, that though we were yet sinners CHRIST died for us. HIS eternal intent seems to be to bring HIS chosen back to the garden --- NEW Heaven and NEW Earth ---- See the chapter 21 of Revelations.

Sounds like a convoluted and cruel way of running a universe to me.

Reactions: FlamingFemme
Upvote 0

FlamingFemme

The Flaming One
May 2, 2008
USA
✟12,903.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never understood why homosexuals would want to be part of a religion which gets it so laughably wrong on sexual ethics to be honest.

The pro-gay interpretations do seem a little bit of stretch to me.

Maybe they are a bit of a stretch. But there are Christians (both gay and straight) who do not take the Bible literally. Instead, they use the Bible as a guide, and use the literal meaning of the word Christian - Meaning they try to live their lives as Christ-like as possible. Though I'm not Christian, this would be the most likely type of Christianity I could accept, as I think most people on this planet could make it a better place by living more like Jesus the Christ. Or Mahatma Ghandi. Or the Buddha. Also, I think the Bible has many good messages that would behoove most people to follow to make this world a better place. However, these Christians (at least the ones I know) do not take it upon themselves to insist that EVERYONE believe exactly as they do. And, if the anti-gay Christians really believe that G-d will do the judging, why can't they just leave GLBT people alone to live their lives?

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like a convoluted and cruel way of running a universe to me.

Only to those who enjoy living with cruelity and are seeking simplicity but perhaps not the truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Adversary. Ha Satan, the Adversary.

Hate the sin, but love the sinner. Only the GLBT community sees that as a hate crime. All of us other sinners see this as grace and love.

Please note that it is gay theology that brought us the Roman child-slave-owning pederast as a great example for all to celebrate. It is gay theology that brings us a sexual relationship between a mother in law and a duaghter in law. Incredible as that may sound, it is their position.

Ever heard of the story of Baalam and his donkey? They had quite the tempestuous relationship. Dare I go liberal/gay theology on that couple?

Last edited:
Upvote 0