Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's interesting than Spain, of all countries, leads the world in making reparations to the LGBT community for past wrongs, despite the fact that under Franco it had some very repressive policies. It's also noteworthy that, in the US, very few governmental institutions have engaged in any kind of apology for abusing the human rights of LGBT persons. One exception is the New York Police Department, which apologized for attacking protesters at Stonewall in 1969.

Why Gay Reparation’s Time Has Come

In my discussions with some of my friends on this issue, I've said before that really what is needed is a Truth and Reconciliation style movement in the US. This will lead to people changing attitudes as long as they feel they can come forward and apologize without recriminations, and will also allow the horrors experience by LGBT persons to be brought to light to the wider public.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom 1

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think it's interesting than Spain, of all countries, leads the world in making reparations to the LGBT community for past wrongs, despite the fact that under Franco it had some very repressive policies. It's also noteworthy that, in the US, very few governmental institutions have engaged in any kind of apology for abusing the human rights of LGBT persons. One exception is the New York Police Department, which apologized for attacking protesters at Stonewall in 1969.

In my discussions with some of my friends on this issue, I've said before that really what is needed is a Truth and Reconciliation style movement in the US. This will lead to people changing attitudes as long as they feel they can come forward and apologize without recriminations, and will also allow the horrors experience by LGBT persons to be brought to light to the wider public.
Too many people in the US aren't ready to apologize. They want to double down instead.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

By the time we are through parsing society into ever-finer special interest groups who require apologies and reparations, I'm not sure who will be left. Give it a rest. Get on with real life. I'm quite skinny with a prominent nose - can I get an apology here, at least if I agree to apologize to all the obese people with pug noses I've teased in my life? If you can't see how silly, divisive and counterproductive this all is - well, I'll apologize in advance for what I'm thinking about your common sense. No reparations, however, although I'll buy you lunch at Denny's if you're ever in town.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So wickedness worldwide is increasing greatly.....
Not really. If, as it appears, the only wickedness you're worried about is LGBT, then it's not increasing. About 5% of the population identifies as LGBT and it's pretty steady.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I am considering permanently leaving my church because I realized my church hasn't done anything like this. If anything, a half measure is a way to gloss over historical memory. A bishop coming out here and there, an ambiguous social statement on sexuality are merely glosses for not engaging in a genuine process of seeking forgiveness for real wrongs done. And that dishonors historical memory of all the victims of repression.

Reactions: stevil
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
And you're proud of it? Sure, you think they're sinners. But all of us are sinners, are we not? Why single some out for bad treatment?
Walk in the light, and there is freedom and repentance and life ! IN JESUS ONLY.

Walk in darkness, and bad treatment is the LEAST of your concerns.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
By the time we are through parsing society into ever-finer special interest groups who require apologies and reparations, I'm not sure who will be left. Give it a rest. Get on with real life. I'm quite skinny with a prominent nose - can I get an apology here, at least if I agree to apologize to all the obese people with pug noses I've teased in my life? If you can't see how silly, divisive and counterproductive this all is - well, I'll apologize in advance for what I'm thinking about your common sense. No reparations, however, although I'll buy you lunch at Denny's if you're ever in town.

Have you read about what the British government did to Allan Turing, a mathematical genius and influential father of modern computing? How can you ever say apologizing for that kind of abuse is "silly"? He was chemically castrated and became so despondent he committed suicide.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No reparations for any group before there are reparations for women, who as a group have been discriminated against since the beginning of time.

Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Have you read about what the British government did to Allan Turing, a mathematical genius and influential father of modern computing? How can you ever say apologizing for that kind of abuse is "silly"? He was chemically castrated and became so despondent he committed suicide.
Did the British government EVER treat ANYONE PROPERLY ? EVER!? or did they and most all other governments grow in honoring the beast system , bringing everyone down to destruction in the system, that they could ?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No reparations for any group before there are reparations for women, who as a group have been discriminated against since the beginning of time.

Yahuweh's Kingdom, Jesus, and the New Creations, are not the same kingdom you are talking about, nor will the kingdom you are talking about ever do what is right or good.

Nor will men nor women nor children get what is good and right from the fleshly concerns, the carnal unregenerate world.

Nor have women been discriminated against any more or less importantly than men and babies (even the unborn) , nor do the new creations in Christ Jesus SEEK something or anything from this world, but ONLY trust and rely on the Father in Heaven , for every good gift is from Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Elisha's Bear

Nov 24, 2019
NorthEast
✟10,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where does it end? When I was a kid I got bullied and beaten mercilessly by other kids (my dad even got in on the act) because I was fat for a few years. Christ gave me the victory over that traumatic setback. Should the government apologize and pay me reparations because they stood by and did nothing? None for me, thanks.

If every group that suffers abuse unites, demands reparations and distinct "civil rights," sooner or later those rights will become cheap commodities to be discarded when fair weather passes. Then the real suffering will begin.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is there someone, anyone, who doesn't think that somebody wronged them at some time in the past? If so, they are not the subject of this post. The rest of us deserve free money from the government.
:satisfied:

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wasnt so long ago people with noses like you could be chemically castrated if you were caught smelling things.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,978.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The wrongs done are continuing and getting worse rapidly, in such churches, and in the world.
Sin is not decreasing. It is growing.
I am confident you have no data to support this assertion. Ironically, what data there actually is suggests that human morality is getting stronger.

A dramatic decline in violence is but one example.

Upvote 0