skinnymike1

Aug 26, 2013
Tampa, FL, USA
✟22,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a topic that always made me wonder. I try to examine the music that I hear because it is such a powerful influence. Therefore, I also examine the artists I listen to as well to guard what comes in to me from their lifestyle.
I have been doing pretty well until I come and find out that a musician is homosexual. We know it's a sin, but does listening and supporting their music mean that we support their sin? If they are homosexual should we drop their music too and not be associated with them even though the music they make is "clean"?
I can go either way on this issue, but I have never seen discussion on this and I am interested to know how deep our relationship with the world can run. Thank you.

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
I avoid listening to music in general. However, when I do listen to music it is usually gospel music or very tame secular music (such as bluegrass). I tend to base my musical selections on the lyrics. So if an unrepentant homosexual is writing music, the lyrics are probably a reflection of their own attitude. If the lyrics are safe then you should be fine. My rule of thumb is this: if I would not let my grandmother listen to it, then I probably should not listen to it.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't see how listening to and being a fan of their music is supporting their actions in any way whatsoever. It's like if you stopped eating at your favorite restaurant because you found out the owner was gay.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
We know it's a sin, but does listening and supporting their music mean that we support their sin?

What is does is help to normalize it. Even using their term, "gay" helps to normalize homosexuality.

I don't imagine listening to this music will ruin your life, nor will them losing one listener have an effect on them, but be careful what you listen to, it does have an effect on your thinking.

Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a topic that always made me wonder. I try to examine the music that I hear because it is such a powerful influence. Therefore, I also examine the artists I listen to as well to guard what comes in to me from their lifestyle.
I have been doing pretty well until I come and find out that a musician is homosexual. We know it's a sin, but does listening and supporting their music mean that we support their sin? If they are homosexual should we drop their music too and not be associated with them even though the music they make is "clean"?
I can go either way on this issue, but I have never seen discussion on this and I am interested to know how deep our relationship with the world can run. Thank you.
You wrote: "We know it's a sin, but does listening and supporting their music mean that we support their sin?" Good question. When I read it to my hubby, he said that isn't the question. The question is: Is it glorifying God?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how listening to and being a fan of their music is supporting their actions in any way whatsoever. It's like if you stopped eating at your favorite restaurant because you found out the owner was gay.
How do you know you are getting quality Christian lyrics when the homosexuals have been turned over to a reprobate mind?

• Agree
Reactions: Dave Watchman
Upvote 0

Dave Watchman

Jan 10, 2014
✟67,573.00
Faith
Christian
How do you know you are getting quality Christian lyrics when the homosexuals have been turned over to a reprobate mind?

I was listening to a John MacArthur sermon where he defined what it meant to have a "reprobate" mind. He said that basically, it meant that his mind was "worthless". He had a worthless mind. It sounded a little funny hearing him say it.

I agree with you. And you husband.

And I'm not going to bake them a cake either.

Reprobate

that which is rejected on account of its own worthlessness ( Jeremiah 6:30 ; Hebrews 6:8 ; Gr. adokimos, "rejected"). This word is also used with reference to persons cast away or rejected because they have failed to make use of opportunities offered them ( 1 Corinthians 9:27 ; 2 co 13:5-7 ).

These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

Reprobate Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

• Agree
Reactions: danstribe
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Let me ask you something: Would you also consider refusing to listen to the music of someone who had been divorced, or had committed adultery? What if they were a glutton or a member of another religion, who worshipped a different god? Or if they were a drunkard or drug abuser? Or is it only homosexuality that's a problem?

Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was listening to a John MacArthur sermon where he defined what it meant to have a "reprobate" mind. He said that basically, it meant that his mind was "worthless". He had a worthless mind. It sounded a little funny hearing him say it.

I agree with you. And you husband.

And I'm not going to bake them a cake either.

Reprobate

that which is rejected on account of its own worthlessness ( Jeremiah 6:30 ; Hebrews 6:8 ; Gr. adokimos, "rejected"). This word is also used with reference to persons cast away or rejected because they have failed to make use of opportunities offered them ( 1 Corinthians 9:27 ; 2 co 13:5-7 ).

These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

Reprobate Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

hmmmmm.....I don't see homosexuals as "worthless", and I'm surprised MacArthur said such. They just are people who need Jesus and haven't realized it yet. He died for them also, so that and worthless, don't seem to meet; you know?

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship

I don't judge or pick my music based on how Christian it is so that's not a problem for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
William Booth, who founded the Salvation Army, was criticized because he took lively music hall drinking songs and rewrote them as Christian hymns. He simply laughed and said "Why should the devil have all the good music?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To support, or not to support..... I dont have a problem with either one. so I say to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. We have all sinned.... In this case we would be deciding to not support someone because they are in a situation we consider sin. I say you should not support them and their music, if you want others to not support you in your endeavors if, in their minds, you are sinning in anyway.

Upvote 0

ub4me

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2005
USA
✟20,873.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are a Christian, the moment you asked the Lord into your life, the Holy Spirit took residence inside of you. Nobody can answer except for themselves. If you feel a conviction in your spirit when you listen to certain music, that would be the Holy Spirit witnessing to your spirit that it is wrong or grieves Him.
Some can listen to what other's can't because there heart and mind is in a right place. Meaning that the music doesn't change them or their relationship with God.
Some are weak, and the music may take them away from God, or become something that's an idol to them.
So I believe it is an individual thing. That the Lord will let you know what is not pleasing to Him.
I can walk into certain stores and immediately my spirit changes, or I can feel darkness, and I have to walk out, because it makes me physically sick.
Now if a song is promoting actions that are not of God, then certainly you will know that is wrong and glorifies that sin.

Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
When it comes to any of the arts, including music, the question is "Is it good?" not "What are the beliefs of the artist?" When I got married in 1965 we asked for Felix Mendelssohn's "Wedding March". The priest refused because the composer was a Protestant. At the time I thought that to be unutterably stupid. All these years later I now regard it as well beyond unutterably stupid.

Upvote 0

skinnymike1

Aug 26, 2013
Tampa, FL, USA
✟22,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry for replying late to my own thread. I am grateful for everyone's replies and views. I have read through them all and it has helped me a lot.
I was just scared that choosing to shun certain music based on the artist being gay was a bigoted attitude for a Christian to have ("if not for God, there go I" kind of thing).
I know one sin is not more grave than the other such as being a glutton or slothful, but I just wanted to know how we are to treat the gays when it comes to them creating media that we may encounter in our daily life. Shall we treat them like any other being with their own sin like I mentioned above?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me ask you something: Would you also consider refusing to listen to the music of someone who had been divorced, or had committed adultery? What if they were a glutton or a member of another religion, who worshipped a different god? Or if they were a drunkard or drug abuser? Or is it only homosexuality that's a problem?
We have a winner !

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have a tough time thinking we have the right to judge one sin as any more sinful than another. And who among us has never sinned?

So unless we require anybody presenting the music to be pure as the driven snow, in which case there would be no music at all, I would judge the music on its own merits and not who is presenting it.

I have enjoyed Jewish music, Buddhist music, Hindu music, Muslim Music, etc. and as an old choir director and worship leader I have been multi blessed by all kinds of Christian music from bluegrass to gospel to country to old fasioned to classical to the new modern stuff. And it doesn't matter who is presenting the music. The music speaks for itself.

Frankly some of this is about as pleasant sounding to me as fingernails on a chalkboard, and some of it I can just lose myself in. So if you like it and the lyrics don't raise any spiritual red flags for you, I say enjoy.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Content matters...if the music is against God/biblical standards, don't buy it/don't listen to it... doesn't matter if the artist claims to be a Christian, homosexual, gangsta' or whatever...it's sad enough that christian artists have taken up singing very secular songs such as: Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, That's The Way I Like It,
Sympathy For The Devil etc... and this is being passed off to our young people
at christian Youth rallies/concerts.

Upvote 0

skinnymike1

Aug 26, 2013
Tampa, FL, USA
✟22,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for the replies, I have come to a decision that works for me. Foxfyre you wrapped it up in a neat package!

it's sad enough that christian artists have taken up singing very secular songs such as: Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, That's The Way I Like It,
Sympathy For The Devil etc... and this is being passed off to our young people
at christian Youth rallies/concerts.

No way!!!! You don't say! I really can't believe this (I am saying this unsarcastically).

Upvote 0