"Gay Marriage" Opposition on the Rise in America?

Where do you stand on "gay marriage?"

• Strongly Oppose

• Oppose

• Favor

• Strongly Favor

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Sex is a natural part of life, but it shouldn't be distorted. Sex was meant to be for a man and wife. There are certain things that aren't natural, like sex with children, or animals, or incest. You can't just say that sex is natural. It has to have limits.

As was stated before, you are misusing the term "natural". Need I even mention the great quantities of animal species who participate in homosexual activities? Homosexuality is completely natural, caused by chemicals in the bodies, and everywhere in nature. There is no reason why homosexuals shouldn't have the same rights as heterosexuals.

And just in case anyone was wondering, I voted "strongly for" gay marriage. ;)

Upvote 0

zx128k

Jul 8, 2007
✟15,172.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Its an issue for the ppl it affects, its not the right of other ppl to tell ppl what two people can do or agree to, given that it does not cause harm to them or other ppl. Noone has the right in the name of faith (something that can't be proven as true) to make decisions based on that faith, that affect other ppl who do not beleave.

Upvote 0

wagsbags

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
✟15,757.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Its an issue for the ppl it affects, its not the right of other ppl to tell ppl what two people can do or agree to, given that it does not cause harm to them or other ppl. Noone has the right in the name of faith (something that can't be proven as true) to make decisions based on that faith, that affect other ppl who do not beleave.
Your mistake here is in assuming that the christian right actually wants separation of church and state.

Upvote 0

wagsbags

Nov 21, 2004
Visit site
✟15,757.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
dictionary.com said:
natural: existing in or formed by nature.

Humans didn't invent homosexuality by a long shot.

I'm reminded of an old thread where someone pointed out "shoving your penis down your girlfriend's throat isn't 'natural' but I'll bet you do it."

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Your mistake here is in assuming that the christian right actually wants separation of church and state.

Very valid point. I was in a debate the other day with my dad who is a staunch conservative Christian, who wouldn't mind the church controlling the state.

Upvote 0

GryffinSong

open-minded skeptic
May 7, 2007
✟8,739.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I voted other. And my opinion may be unpopular, but not for the reasons you might think.

I believe that all adult humans are entitled to the same rights, regardless of orientation, color, gender, sex, or just about any category you can think of.

However. I feel that the institution of marriage is fundamentally broken, and in need of an overhaul. Marriage is both a legal, and sometimes a religious institution. From a religious perspective, each religion can choose to do whatever they like

From a LEGAL perspective, marriage as its currently defined seems not to work. Anything with a 50% (or more, depending on which study you read) failure rate, is NOT working. I like the idea of signing some kind of co-habitation contract, that requires periodic renewal. Perhaps a couple signs a child rearing contract for 20 years. Perhaps a couple signs a "marriage" contract with review each year, with the help of a mediator. Each of the persons in the relationship would have to review and re-sign if they want to continue. I wonder if such a thing would make infidelity less frequent. Cheating is an epidemic. One that I can't comprehend myself, feeling that one should be honest and leave one relationship before starting another. Would a renewable contract help people stick to their promises?

Anyway. I hope that explains my "other" vote. From a legal perspective, in terms of medical and child rearing rights, legal financial rights, and so on, revamp the whole system. And make it available to any consenting adults.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I voted other. And my opinion may be unpopular, but not for the reasons you might think.

I believe that all adult humans are entitled to the same rights, regardless of orientation, color, gender, sex, or just about any category you can think of.

However. I feel that the institution of marriage is fundamentally broken, and in need of an overhaul. Marriage is both a legal, and sometimes a religious institution. From a religious perspective, each religion can choose to do whatever they like

From a LEGAL perspective, marriage as its currently defined seems not to work. Anything with a 50% (or more, depending on which study you read) failure rate, is NOT working. I like the idea of signing some kind of co-habitation contract, that requires periodic renewal. Perhaps a couple signs a child rearing contract for 20 years. Perhaps a couple signs a "marriage" contract with review each year, with the help of a mediator. Each of the persons in the relationship would have to review and re-sign if they want to continue. I wonder if such a thing would make infidelity less frequent. Cheating is an epidemic. One that I can't comprehend myself, feeling that one should be honest and leave one relationship before starting another. Would a renewable contract help people stick to their promises?

Anyway. I hope that explains my "other" vote. From a legal perspective, in terms of medical and child rearing rights, legal financial rights, and so on, revamp the whole system. And make it available to any consenting adults.

You make good points. I think that from a religious standpoint, churches should be able to refuse marriage (as they can for heterosexual couples now.) From a legal standpoint, I think that religion is not a factor, and it should be opened to any two consenting adults.

There is a huge problem with marriage. There is a lot of divorce, but my belief is that it has to do with a lot of factors. It was once socially acceptable (maybe as recently as 50 years ago) to have a mistress, and a wife. It was a "boys will be boys" attitude, and tolerated, whereas, it is no longer accepted.

There is also a romantic version of marriage, especially on the part of women. I once knew a girl in college that sang a wedding song that she had written for a guy she hadn't even met yet. People often refer to the wedding day as "the bride's day", when it is about the couple. The bride gets caught up in the paegentry, and is pulling her hair out because the peach napkins don't match the piping on the wedding cake.

But then again, girls are cultured differently. Before a girl can walk, someone is sticking a doll in her hands to learn how to be nurturing, and a boy is mocked for having a doll, not learning it. Girls fantasize about being married, boys are cultured not to, are cultured to prove their manhood by having sex with as many women as possible, etc.

Then, the two come together, and the romantic idea meets the reality - that people don't always live happily ever after, that men can be abusive, etc.

I believe that is why more young people choose to live together first - to see if the relationship would work, before getting tied up in legality. Many people look at it as "living in sin," while not condemning people who live separately but have sexual relationships. To me, living together at least shows more commitment, and is more honest.

We also live with a false idea that God made one special person for you, and if you can find that one special person, you will be whole. Unfortunately, that means that you want someone to make you feel complete, you want to take, when you should be wanting to give, and you can't give unless you can be happy alone, and be complete alone. You have to also realize that there is no One True Love, but endless possibilities.

Then there is the suggestion that you should get married, and finding themselves not married at 25, or 30, many people simply rush into it, grabbing onto the first person that says yes.

Unfortunately, marriage is hard, and takes understanding, patience, communication, honesty, etc., and all too often, rather than focus on why heterosexual marriages continue to fail, people look to a scapegoat, and gays often are chosen.

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
The overhaul marriage needs is expansion to include same sex couples. Hetrosexual marriages in this culture are an unhealthy default position. It is so expected that people are to have a standard type of marriage that it becomes an unfair burden on many people trapped into it. When people are exposed to marriages other than the steriotyped (such as same sex ones) version it will spur people to consider what marriage is. It can spur contemplation about everyones marriage decisions and perhaps some will stop trying marriages that don't work for them.

Upvote 0

sister_maynard

Senior Veteran
Feb 20, 2006
✟18,882.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
we take offense when you join your gay rights movement to our struggle for racial equality. stop it please.
I won't bother making the connection since it appears to bother you so, but some people who struggled for racial equality are happy to have the link made. I respect your opinion that the two are not connected, but you are not the sole authority as to which historical comparisons are valid and which are not.

Upvote 0