Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've become a fan of Dave Rubin's 'The Rubin Report'. I disagree with some of his views... mainly his social views. But I also agree with him on several things.
The main reason I like his show is because he is respectful and willing to listen to and consider opposing view points. Plus he just seems like a really likable, friendly person.

If you have time to watch his interview with the Bishop you won't be dissappointed.

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First, he set up a false narative in an attempt to sound compassionate. He said something to the effect...if all you hear from the Church is that you are objectively disordered. The Church teaches the act is objectively disordered, not the person.

Second, he denied the Truth of the Church by saying he wouldn't push for and reversal of gay marraige.

Bishop Barron is a smart guy, I doubt these 2 things were an accidental slip up.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church should fight against things that will destroy the family...And by extension society.
I understand that but at the same time, we have Scripture that says we have no business judging those outside the Church. So it is a bit confusing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see how preaching against the evils of same sex marraige is judging.
Well reading Scripture it is more than just that. The concerns of the world are not our concerns. We all have a place in the public square but it seems the Church is a bit too overly political in my view when there is much that needs to be attended to inside the Church.

• Agree
Reactions: hsilgne
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was great. Both sides had a civil discussion. Like in one of the Catholicism videos, Bishop Barron says "we've forgotten how to have a good argument".

Things have broken down too much into tribalism and vitriolic aggression, I think he's sitting across from a man (whom, to be fair, I thought was courteous and respectful despite what they both obviously know are opposing viewpoints) and engages him in a civilized way.

Upvote 0

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First, he set up a false narative in an attempt to sound compassionate. He said something to the effect...if all you hear from the Church is that you are objectively disordered. The Church teaches the act is objectively disordered, not the person.

Second, he denied the Truth of the Church by saying he wouldn't push for and reversal of gay marraige.

Bishop Barron is a smart guy, I doubt these 2 things were an accidental slip up.
I think that’s being a tad bit cynical. I think the Bishop has a good and valid point. If the only message being heard by the gay community is “you are disordered” then that is a problem. As a matter of fact anyone who is living in sin needs to first know that they are loved and valued before any change of heart can occur. That’s how Jesus Himself approached sinners. He sat with them. He Ate with them. He talked with them. He demonstrated that they were valued and loved. THEN their hearts were changed and they became convicted of their sin.

That is what I hear the Bishop saying here.

As for pushing for the reversal of gay marriage... I think his assertion is reasonable given the situation we are in(now that gay marraige is the law of the land). I don’t hear him saying it’s acceptable. But rather, at this point, pushing for reversal would be more detrimental to the mission of the Church than would be good. He clearly says that we continue speaking the Truth about it. But again... that conversion happens when we(sinners in general) realize we are valued and loved.

Maybe we will just need to agree to disagree, but I think the Bishop did an outstanding job in this interview.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
But why should he push for the reversal of gay marriage/unions when that is a secular issue and has nothing to do with the Church?

Your other objections I do not understand. It seemed correct to me.

I agree to a point Michie, but ,what concerns me is that it seems some of what he says seem like talking points designed to to Introduce a new message.

Your previous posts on the 'popular movement" and "modesto statement" leave me a little suspect.

I have zero interest in fighting against secular marriage but we know that the ideas behind these beliefs are now incorporated into public school teaching and anyone who disagrees is ostracized and isolated.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I like that Bishop Barron first really got a love of theology from the Thomistic arguments of causality :) those also really got me interested in theology when I heard them in college at age 18

near the end Bishop Barron is asked about "Judeo-Christian values" and he just accepts the premise of the question

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Insisting that a prelate—especially one of Bp. Barron's intellectual caliber—reiterate the Church's position on pet social issues every single time he has an interview with a secular journalist is kind of like demanding the Rolling Stones always play Satisfaction.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0