Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well it's early so no stories out yet, but my best friend just called me and he heard somewhere like the radio that incumbent governor of California, Gavin Newsom did not file in time to be the Democratic Governor in the recall election. I assume, that he assumed that his party apparatus, or staffers would handle that. Meanwhile they were scheming on the recall effort itself, questioning signatures (very hypocritical for folks always talking about voter disenfranchisement etc.), trying to move up the deadline etc.

Gavin Newsom has been a very unpopular governor for anyone who is not solidly liberal etc. I was surprised in early Covid he made a few good decisions that I agreed with (I'm an ex-California native, but living back in California for the first 2 months of the outbreak visiting relatives and handling personal business). But he was very heavy handed with the lock downs etc. and also hypocritical with following his own orders.

And besides that California is a nightmare of mismanagement for years.... so good riddance!

California judge denies Newsom's request to be listed as Democrat on recall ballot - CNNPolitics

Newsom can't identify himself as Democrat on recall ballot

OK found a direct link from CNN, so I assume this is all true. Republicans I think stand a good change of him running against him if he is an "Independent". I would say this all seems almost like an act of Divine Intervention.... :)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Right now I'm trying to understand the mechanics of this event. The video I posted is probably correct in it being a confidence vote yes or no, and then if it is 51% for the recall, voting for one of a long list of candidates. If this is so, him being an Independent is not a big deal, vs. him having to be on the ballot like a regular election where many Democrats might vote for an official Democratic challenger over him as an independent. But it still isn't good, because in a special election, you are much more likely to get more angry voters turning out than a regular election where more people turn out to vote on all the other stuff on the ballot of a major election year.

If I can find anything more I will post a quote or link etc.

Yep it is a confidence vote first, and if that works pick somebody else. I think this is potentially modeled on how they do things in other countries... that have Parliamentary governments like Britain etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Pavel Mosko

Well, I'm not a Californian, but the articles you appended to your post, don't support the claim you are making. Newsom can still have his name listed as running for the Governor spot on the recall ballot, but he just can't identify that he's a Democratic candidate. So, his name will be on the ballot. It'll just have a check mark and say, "Gavin Newsom"

As I understand it from the video you supplied, voters will be asked to answer two questions. The first being whether or not they believe that Newsom should be recalled. He has to lose on that question first before the even look at who voters might want as a replacement. If a majority of the respondents don't check off that they think Newsom should be recalled, then business goes on as usual no matter how many votes any of the myriad number of contenders might have gotten. It's over. If, on the other hand, a majority of respondents agree that Newsom should be recalled, then they will go to step two and tally up the number of votes the various governor wantabes get. Not that it's likely, if a majority say that he should be recalled, but if the count also takes into account all the people that checked no on question 1 as de facto voting for Newsom. Then the contenders would have to surmount that number PLUS any number of voters who might have checked to keep him even though they voted to recall him. Elections can be funny things these days.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@Pavel Mosko

Well, I'm not a Californian, but the articles you appended to your post, don't support the claim you are making. Newsom can still have his name listed as running for the Governor spot on the recall ballot, but he just can't identify that he's a Democratic candidate. So, his name will be on the ballot. It'll just have a check mark and say, "Gavin Newsom"

As I understand it from the video you supplied, voters will be asked to answer two questions. The first being whether or not they believe that Newsom should be recalled. He has to lose on that question first before the even look at who voters might want as a replacement. If a majority of the respondents don't check off that they think Newsom should be recalled, then business goes on as usual no matter how many votes any of the myriad number of contenders might have gotten. It's over. If, on the other hand, a majority of respondents agree that Newsom should be recalled, then they will go to step two and tally up the number of votes the various governor wantabes get. Not that it's likely, if a majority say that he should be recalled, but if the count also takes into account all the people that checked no on question 1 as de facto voting for Newsom. Then the contenders would have to surmount that number PLUS any number of voters who might have checked to keep him even though they voted to recall him. Elections can be funny things these days.

God bless,
Ted

Yeah I pretty much came to that conclusion an hour after I posted, and watch some videos etc. Which are all included in the later posts.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
California Gov. Gavin Newsom is facing a recall — here's what to know and why he'll likely win

Malcontents and troublemakers seem to be in the minority.
"Covid has waned, the economy is resurging and there are far more Democrats than Republicans in this state that will vote in favor of him. I think Newsom should be in good shape," Stutzman said.

A poll conducted in early May by the Public Policy Institute of California, or PPIC, found that 57% of likely voters would support Newsom in the election while 40% would vote to recall him.

The poll also found that Newsom's job approval rating among likely voters is 54%, which is almost double Davis' approval rating in 2003, according to PPIC President Mark Baldassare.

To explain this data, Baldassare cites "two important indicators" of Newsom's standing that dramatically improved between January and May of this year. This includes Californians' perceptions about the U.S. economy and Covid, which are both data points recorded in the poll as well.

"These indicators have evidently improved in the last few months, putting Gov. Newsom in a relatively strong position as he faces a recall," Baldassare said.

Upvote 0