✟761,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Gates of Heck*

Lately I've been thinking about hell as like... a vacuum of nothingness. If God can be likened to a rock, then what is evil can be likened to wind/ether which has the unmistakable quality of impermanence. Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away" (Luke 21:33)

If we sow the wind, we reap the whirlwind. Hosea 8:7 If we are not baptized by the Holy Spirit then our souls will not reside under the immovable, Almighty God. Sowing into impermanence (things of this world) we reap hell.

Matthew 7:24-27 The parable of the wise builder, instructs the faithful to build on the solid foundation that is Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:1-3
1 And you [did he make alive,] when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins, 2 wherein ye once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the powers of the air, of the spirit that now worketh in the sons of disobedience; 3 among whom we also all once lived in the lust of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest:--

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Drick

Aug 22, 2017
Alabama
✟18,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hades was essentially the old Greek religion's equivalent of Hell, or the underworld, or whatever you might call it. The King James Version tends to render any reference to such places as "Hell", and that's certainly the most straightforward interpretation, but it unfortunately means that there's been little deliberation on whether these different words are truly referencing different things or not.

I believe the verse could just be a turn of phrase meaning "No force, no matter how terrible, can overcome the church", or something to that effect.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gates of Heck*

Lately I've been thinking about hell as like... a vacuum of nothingness. If God can be likened to a rock, then what is evil can be likened to wind/ether which has the unmistakable quality of impermanence. Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away" (Luke 21:33)

If we sow the wind, we reap the whirlwind. Hosea 8:7 If we are not baptized by the Holy Spirit then our souls will not reside under the immovable, Almighty God. Sowing into impermanence (things of this world) we reap hell.

Matthew 7:24-27 The parable of the wise builder, instructs the faithful to build on the solid foundation that is Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:1-3
1 And you [did he make alive,] when ye were dead through your trespasses and sins, 2 wherein ye once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the powers of the air, of the spirit that now worketh in the sons of disobedience; 3 among whom we also all once lived in the lust of our flesh, doing the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest:--
Thank you. My OP question is about the definition of the word "hades", found in this particular scripture.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hades was essentially the old Greek religion's equivalent of Hell, or the underworld, or whatever you might call it. The King James Version tends to render any reference to such places as "Hell", and that's certainly the most straightforward interpretation, but it unfortunately means that there's been little deliberation on whether these different words are truly referencing different things or not.

I believe the verse could just be a turn of phrase meaning "No force, no matter how terrible, can overcome the church", or something to that effect.
I guess what i want to know is, does hades refer to the grave, or to eternal hellfire?

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hades was essentially Sheol, the Old Testament Underworld. It was divided up into two sides, Hell and Paradise, and a gulf was fixed between the two of them, which is what the wicked rich man was referring to in Luke 16:26.

The gates of Hades kept the righteous dead of Old Testament times contained in the Paradise side of Sheol until the blood of the Lamb of God could be shed for their sins, after which Christ descended, preached to the spirits in prison (i.e. the righteous dead still being held in the Paradise side of the Underworld - 1 Peter 3:19), and then broke through the gates, leading captivity captive into Heaven (Ephesians 4:8).

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hades was essentially Sheol, the Old Testament Underworld. It was divided up into two sides, Hell and Paradise, and a gulf was fixed between the two of them, which is what the wicked rich man was referring to in Luke 16:26.

The gates of Hades kept the righteous dead of Old Testament times contained in the Paradise side of Sheol until the blood of the Lamb of God could be shed for their sins, after which Christ descended, preached to the spirits in prison (i.e. the righteous dead still being held in the Paradise side of the Underworld - 1 Peter 3:19), and then broke through the gates, leading captivity captive into Heaven (Ephesians 4:8).
So hades never refers to the grave?

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So hades never refers to the grave?

If ever, only in the loosest sense. Even expressions like "descending into the pit" have Underworld connotations, because Hell is filled with pits of fire that the wicked become imprisoned in and are not allowed to escape from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If ever, only in the loosest sense. Even expressions like "descending into the pit" have Underworld connotations, because Hell is filled with pits of fire that the wicked become imprisoned in and are not allowed to escape from.
Ok, thank you.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thank you. My OP question is about the definition of the word "hades", found in this particular scripture.
The words gate and hades are used in this covenantle parable in Luke 16 [which I have a thread on].
The word table is also used:

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

LUKE 16:
20 "But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate,
21 desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.".........
23 "And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes...................
[In the LXX hades occurs more than 100 times, in the majority of instances to translate Heb. she'ol, the underworld which receives all the dead. It is the land of darkness .]

Palms 69:22
Let the bountiful table set before them become a snare and their prosperity become a trap.
[Romans 11:9]

Luke 22:30
That ye may eating and may be drinking upon the table of Me in the kingdom of Me
and ye shall be sitting upon thrones judging the twelve tribes of the Israel.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The words gate and hades are used in this covenantle parable in Luke 16 [which I have a thread on].
The word table is also used:

LUKE 16:
20 "But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate,
21 desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.".........
23 "And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes...................

Palms 69:22
Let the bountiful table set before them become a snare and their prosperity become a trap.
[Romans 11:9]

Luke 22:30
That ye may eating and may be drinking upon the table of Me in the kingdom of Me
and ye shall be sitting upon thrones judging the twelve tribes of the Israel.
Thanks LLOJ

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
LittleLambofJesus said:
Thanks LLOJ
Thank you for bringing up this thread. That parable is set in the 1st century at the time Jesus was preaching.
Which gate could Jesus be referring to in that story? Both Jerusalem and the Temple were still standing at the time and I still view the Rich Man as a type of Jewish High Priest.
Those who come to Jesus, both Jew and Gentile, become kings and priests

Rev 1:6
and did make us kings and priests to his God and Father, to him is the glory and the power to the ages of the ages! Amen.

I found this site interesting and it is actually helpful in studying that parable:

The Beautiful Gate of the Temple in Jerusalem | Ritmeyer Archaeological Design

One of the questions I am frequently asked is where the Beautiful Gate of the Temple was located. This gate is mentioned in the New Testament (Acts 3.2,10) as the place where the lame man was begging. After he was healed by Peter and John “he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God” (Acts 3.8).

The Nicanor Gate stood in front of Herod's Temple. It gave access from the Court of the Women to the Temple Courts. In front of this gate were fifteen semi-circular steps on which Levites sang the fifteen "Psalms of the Steps" (Psalms 120-134 of Degrees or Ascents). © Leen Ritmeyer

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is hades?

Matthew 16:18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
Hades is a subterranean collection of prisons housing(housed) the dead and said to be under the Euphrates(if I remember correctly) river but probably outside our dimensions to observe.

Hades once housed Paradise(Abrahams bosom) but Jesus, "Led a host of captives, captive". So hades no longer houses Paradise(garden with a wall) so, hades will eventually be thrown into the Lake of Fire.

Peter used the verb tartaroO in 2 Peter 2:4 translated "hell" means: to imprison.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for bringing up this thread. That parable is set in the 1st century at the time Jesus was preaching.
Which gate could Jesus be referring to in that story? Both Jerusalem and the Temple were still standing at the time and I still view the Rich Man as a type of Jewish High Priest.
Those who come to Jesus, both Jew and Gentile, become kings and priests

Rev 1:6
and did make us kings and priests to his God and Father, to him is the glory and the power to the ages of the ages! Amen.

I found this site interesting and it is actually helpful in studying that parable:

The Beautiful Gate of the Temple in Jerusalem | Ritmeyer Archaeological Design

One of the questions I am frequently asked is where the Beautiful Gate of the Temple was located. This gate is mentioned in the New Testament (Acts 3.2,10) as the place where the lame man was begging. After he was healed by Peter and John “he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God” (Acts 3.8).

The Nicanor Gate stood in front of Herod's Temple. It gave access from the Court of the Women to the Temple Courts. In front of this gate were fifteen semi-circular steps on which Levites sang the fifteen "Psalms of the Steps" (Psalms 120-134 of Degrees or Ascents). © Leen Ritmeyer
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hades is a subterranean collection of prisons housing(housed) the dead and said to be under the Euphrates(if I remember correctly) river but probably outside our dimensions to observe.

Hades once housed Paradise(Abrahams bosom) but Jesus, "Led a host of captives, captive". So hades no longer houses Paradise(garden with a wall) so, hades will eventually be thrown into the Lake of Fire.

Peter used the verb tartaroO in 2 Peter 2:4 translated "hell" means: to imprison.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is hades?

Matthew 16:18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
Using a concordance, I found that the plural word "gates" is used only 1 time in the NT Gospels, and that in Matt 16:18. Wow!

Here are the first and last times that word is used:

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)
"gates" occurs 139 times in 128 verses in the NKJV.

Gen 24:60
And they blessed Rebekah and said to her:
“Our sister, may you become
The mother of thousands of ten thousands;
And may your descendants possess The gates of those who hate them.

Rev 21:25
Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there).
Reve 22:14
Blessed are those who do His commandments,[fn] that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter through the gates into the city.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Using a concordance, I found that the plural word "gates" is used only 1 time in the NT Gospels, and that in Matt 16:18. Wow!

Here are the first and last times that word is used:

Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)
"gates" occurs 139 times in 128 verses in the NKJV.

Gen 24:60
And they blessed Rebekah and said to her:
“Our sister, may you become
The mother of thousands of ten thousands;
And may your descendants possess The gates of those who hate them.

Rev 21:25
Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there).
Reve 22:14
Blessed are those who do His commandments,[fn] that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter through the gates into the city.
Amen. We will enter through the gates into the city. :)

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What is hades?

Here Hades refers to the kingdom of this world, or the present age, or the kingdom of darkness. It refers to all that is under the dominion of Satan in this present age.

Upvote 0