Garrett Foster Brought His Gun to Austin Protests. Then He Was Shot Dead.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“The presence of Mr. Foster’s weapon could play a key role in the case if the driver claims that he shot Mr. Foster out of fear for his life, a defense allowed under the so-called “stand your ground” law in the state.

end quote

Hard to imagine a nation where you can just shoot someone because you are scared.

So like in the pictures earlier what if an individual with assault rifle got scared about all the other guys with assault rifles and just shot them down ?

He would be within his rights ?
That sounds like a very good reason for not walking around with an assault rifle in a crowd of angry and violent people

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It wasn’t? From what I can tell, this particular demonstration was peaceful until the incident in question happened.
My point would be related to time, at the time of the peaceful demonstration by the armed individuals we were not experiencing the violent demonstrations that we are now.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When protesters for liberal causes have guns, then it is not a problem. Guns are only for the right kind of people.
who are the right kind of people, I see liberals with guns, I see conservatives with guns, I see a problem with the individual who elects to use a gun illegally, this problem is not isolated to any one group.

• Agree
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree with your first sentence, but I think that this story demonstrates how much a gun can "protect" you.
the gun can do nothing, that is the point that has to be explained to liberals time and time again. It is the person with the gun that you need to be concerned about, if that person is well trained there is no doubt that he or she can defend themselves.

• Agree
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Cool, we agree on something...I think.

I don't think carrying visible weapons is ever appropriate for any kind of demonstration.
well by gosh we do agree on something. Guns should not become a political statement.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That sounds like a very good reason for not walking around with an assault rifle in a crowd of angry and violent people

Yeah, he should totally have concealed carry that AK 47 in his pants. Might have impressed the ladies as well.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
the gun can do nothing, that is the point that has to be explained to liberals time and time again. It is the person with the gun that you need to be concerned about, if that person is well trained there is no doubt that he or she can defend themselves.

"Explained to liberals time and time again"? How patronizing, obviously it's the person with the gun you need to be concerned about. (I say "you" because fortunately we don't allow every nutter or yahoo to wander around armed in my country".

And it was you who said "a concealed gun will protect you if you need it".

How well trained do you think Garrett Foster was? Was the man in the car better trained? Or the other idiot who was firing off shots at the car as it drove away?

What a pointless and avoidable death this was.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Explained to liberals time and time again"? How patronizing, obviously it's the person with the gun you need to be concerned about. (I say "you" because fortunately we don't allow every nutter or yahoo to wander around armed in my country".

And it was you who said "a concealed gun will protect you if you need it".

How well trained do you think Garrett Foster was? Was the man in the car better trained? Or the other idiot who was firing off shots at the car as it drove away?

What a pointless and avoidable death this was.
So is someone a "nutter or yahoo" because they carry a gun? I have not idea who was trained or untrained or what actually happened and who is responsible for what happened, But I do know that while there may be a few people out there who should not have a gun those few do not justify limiting the rights of everyone. I also know that many lives could have been saved if the person who should not have a gun had encountered someone who had a gun and knew how to use it.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So is someone a "nutter or yahoo" because they carry a gun?

No.

I have not idea who was trained or untrained or what actually happened and who is responsible for what happened, But I do know that while there may be a few people out there who should not have a gun those few do not justify limiting the rights of everyone. I also know that many lives could have been saved if the person who should not have a gun had encountered someone who had a gun and knew how to use it.

Yes, more guns, that's the way to avoid these tragic deaths.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

NRA approves. Just imagine if everyone on that demonstration had a gun. They could all have shot any threatening people.

Legally. Imagine how great legal case you have of being afraid when dozens of people near you suddenly draw weapons.

• Winner
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No.

The problem is not the number of guns. The problem is that we do an incredibly poor job of providing care for people who have mental health issues. You could put 1000 guns on a table and nothing would happen. You put one person on the streets that has mental health problems that cause him to be violent to the point of wanting to kill someone, that person will find a way to get a gun, plenty of stolen guns are available on the streets, if that person is not stopped he will kill someone or perhaps several people. Gun control is a joke, criminals do not obey laws.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
person will find a way to get a gun, plenty of stolen guns are available on the streets

And there always will be stolen, smuggled, illegally bought weapons available since just about everyone with heartbeat can acquire them.

Reminds me of bit of wildlife regulation around here.

Too many bunnies around so you can kill them. Great.

Expect when they have baby rabbits around then it is clearly in humane and whatnot because little bunnies would starve to death.

Too bad winters are so warm now that bunnies have little bunnies through the year so you can’t legally kill them which translates to ..... more bunnies.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The problem is not the number of guns. The problem is that we do an incredibly poor job of providing care for people who have mental health issues. You could put 1000 guns on a table and nothing would happen. You put one person on the streets that has mental health problems that cause him to be violent to the point of wanting to kill someone, that person will find a way to get a gun, plenty of stolen guns are available on the streets, if that person is not stopped he will kill someone or perhaps several people. Gun control is a joke, criminals do not obey laws.

I agree with your point about mental health issues and that criminals would carry guns regardless of restrictions.

You could make a case for it being too late for any significant changes, what with all the guns, both legal and illegal, in circulation, I don't know.

I just can't help feeling that incidents like in the OP are a completely pointless and could be avoided.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can skip ahead to the last ~5 minutes.

That's great. If you want to write them all jaywalking tickets, have at it.

If people are standing in the street illegally, I'm not allowed to just run my car into them. Again, if the car I pointed out is the correct car, then the car drove into the crowd; they didn't swarm it.

Have you seen the updates? There's now video of the guy with the AK pointing it at the car and the protestors swarming it. It was also being reported that he fired the first five shots before the guy in the car killed him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you seen the updates? There's now video of the guy with the AK pointing it at the car and the protestors swarming it.

Got a link? Because I just found this link with video from a second angle:

What We Know About the Austin BLM Protest Shooting

Here's the video itself:
https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1287279078186205184

It clearly shows the car going around other stopped traffic to turn into the crowd - not only was my earlier interpretation correct, but now it's clear that he blew through a red light to do it. This is 100% the driver's fault. Foster would've been justified in pointing his weapon.

It was also being reported that he fired the first five shots before the guy in the car killed him.

That's not what the police said earlier. They said that his weapon had never been fired.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status