Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow these are quite the gardens. Public Hermit, how to you keep the bunnies and deer out? No fence?

BTW I found a surprise in my deck strawberries.
View attachment 276622

That's a nice find! I bet mama was watching you. :)

I use Liquid Fence. I believe it's manufactored predator scent. I stinks right strong when first applied, but it works. It has to be re-applied after it rains (despite what the bottle says, haha), or every so often. When I first broke this piece of ground about five years ago, the deer didn't realize it was dinner. But once they found it they destroyed my green beans, haha. (I had the picture because someone asked me that the other day)

20200508_140041.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I have garden envy...here's some shots of a less ambitious garden.
upload_2020-5-22_20-19-13.png

And some patiently waiting...
upload_2020-5-22_20-20-3.png

and some you can't eat.
upload_2020-5-22_20-20-30.png

BTW I'm now using the Liquid Fence, since my fence is apparently just for show.
upload_2020-5-22_20-21-0.png

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is the Liquid Fence working?

It's been raining but so far so good. It is definitely the stinkiest thing in the garden, my dog thinks it smells wonderful. The fauna around here likes to wait until I'm just about to pick before they attack, so time will tell. Only problem has been slugs, hence the smashed egg shells you may have noticed in the pic. It may be more of an old wives tale than an effective deterrent, may need to break out the Sluggo.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is definitely the stinkiest thing in the garden, my dog thinks it smells wonderful.

Hahaha! ^_^ That's great. Yeah, it reeks something awful.

It's been raining but so far so good.

I reapply it after rain. I have failed to do that and they started to eat. But, once I applied it again, they stayed away. My beans are coming up. The deer love them, and haven't stepped foot in the garden. Fingers crossed, anyway.

Only problem has been slugs, hence the smashed egg shells you may have noticed in the pic. It may be more of an old wives tale than an effective deterrent, may need to break out the Sluggo.

I haven't had a big problem with slugs, but I'll keep the egg shells in mind, just in case. The Sluggo, too. I struggle with bottom rot on my tomatoes. I usually rotate where I plant and crush up Tums to add calcium to the soil, but my first few always have bottom rot.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For bottom rot you might just try always keeping the soil moist. If you let it dry completely between watering, that kind of sucks the juice out of them or something like that. Not very scientific I know, but I've heard it works. When I researched it on the net, it talked about the calcium problem as you mentioned, maybe drying out depletes the calcium?

• Informative
Upvote 0

ZekeB

May 27, 2020
Peoria
✟9,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
IMG_2832.jpeg
Blossom Rot is very common for nightshade vegetables (tomatoes and peppers, but tomatoes its more common) and can be easily solved by rotating your crops every year and introducing calcium in the spring. You can solve it once it becomes apparent, but it's a lot harder to do as the plant is severely deficient.

We bought a new house last year and my veggie garden is way downsized (from 400 sq feet to about 32 sq feet) so I really made every inch count. I've grown enough veggies in my life to know how closely I can plant without having issues - but ideally I'd have more room.

In the below picture: 16 pepper plants, chives, parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, 30(fish) purple beans, 4 tomatoes, a row of red oak leaf lettuce and a row of butter lettuce.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Blossom Rot is very common for nightshade vegetables (tomatoes and peppers, but tomatoes its more common) and can be easily solved by rotating your crops every year and introducing calcium in the spring. You can solve it once it becomes apparent, but it's a lot harder to do as the plant is severely deficient.

Well then, that's part of my problem. I have always waited until I see it and then add calcium. I guess I should add it now since my plants are just now getting on. Maybe it's not too late.

Reactions: ZekeB
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZekeB

May 27, 2020
Peoria
✟9,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm just guessing here, but no one has ever parked in that garage, have they? ;)

Ha; it's a 2.5 car garage and for some reason this is a side garage door. No clue what the builders thought they were doing as there is a foot drop off from the side!

• Haha
Upvote 0

ZekeB

May 27, 2020
Peoria
✟9,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well then, that's part of my problem. I have always waited until I see it and then add calcium. I guess I should add it now since my plants are just now getting on. Maybe it's not too late.

I've not used it, but you can turn the calcium into a foliar spray which dramatically increases the speed the plant receives the nutrients. I would read up on this big time as foliar feedings are very potent and if you do the math wrong you could kill/damage your plants. If you follow a guide perfectly you should have no issues.

Suggestion for anyone out there looking for fertilizer - I have had EXCELLENT (nay, outstanding) results with Fox Farms Organic Liquid Fertilizer. If anyone is interested in my feeding schedule I'd be happy to share - I never thought I'd buy organic fertilizer but the results don't lie.

• Informative
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Suggestion for anyone out there looking for fertilizer - I have had EXCELLENT (nay, outstanding) results with Fox Farms Organic Liquid Fertilizer. If anyone is interested in my feeding schedule I'd be happy to share - I never thought I'd buy organic fertilizer but the results don't lie.

I'm interested in hearing your feeding schedule. I'll look up the product.

Upvote 0

ZekeB

May 27, 2020
Peoria
✟9,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I use "Fox Farm Grow Big" weekly using the "heavy feedings" dosage and the moment I see plants begin to flower, I switch to "Fox Farms Tiger Bloom" for the heavy feedings weekly. I had bell pepper plants last year that exceeded 2 feet tall and held 8-10 peppers each. I had to put stakes on them because they couldn't support themselves anymore.

• Informative
Upvote 0