Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have tried to watch it for over 30 years; but have never made it thru--it's 188 minutes long; over 3 hours! :eek::rolleyes:

Going to try again, anyone ever watched it all the way thru; it seems like such a fascinating film?:D

2021-03-06 17.15.35 en.wikipedia.org 17588ca21759.png

<i>Gandhi</i> (film)

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,652,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like you, never made it through. I take the depiction with a good chunk of salt anyway from the things I’ve read concerning Gandhi and the things he did and actually said.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like you, never made it through. I take the depiction with a good chunk of salt anyway from the things I’ve read concerning Gandhi and the things he did and actually said.

Yes; but it was praised for it's historical accuracy; when it came out.:)

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am going to try when I find out the times.
thanks, I haven't seen it advertised and I watch tbn a lot.
never mind, lol
Must be wishful thinking, I thought you posted tbn.

It's on right now on TCM --Turner Classic Movies--Intermission is on right now.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's on right now on TCM --Turner Classic Movies--Intermission is on right now.
Thanks but I don't have that, I did google it and there are other outlets but I don't have them either:(

• Informative
Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,652,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes; but it was praised for it's historical accuracy; when it came out.:)
Well you know Hollywood and it was 1982.

When Great Movies Fail The History Test

There are many more sources as far as historical accuracy. There are a ton of quotes attributed to Gandhi that never crossed his lips among many other things he did or did not do.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well you know Hollywood and it was 1982.

When Great Movies Fail The History Test

There are many more sources as far as historical accuracy. There are a ton of quotes attributed to Gandhi that never crossed his lips among many other things he did or did not do.

Thanks for that link. That's why I put the smiley on the end of that sentence; the movie is so much better then most history-dramas; that it's not even funny. :)

Like one of my favorite films "Lawrence of Arabia" it only has a passing resemblance to the historical T. E. Lawrence.

"Lawrence's public image resulted in part from the sensationalized reporting of the Arab revolt by American journalist Lowell Thomas, as well as from Seven Pillars of Wisdom. In 1935, Lawrence was fatally injured in a motorcycle accident in Dorset." from wiki.

Still like the movie though. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How'd the movie go for you all? Were you able to sit through the whole 4 hours?

Actually with the way TCM post the time for a movie; they add in all the Host talking and the little short videos; it only was 188 minutes--3 hrs 8 minutes--so it was not that bad.

Some of the violence was hard to watch--people being caned by the hundreds--and machined gunned down crowds. Also the political aspects of India being part of Pakistan--and how they were separated by force of the Muslim and Hindu breach--was not very historically accurate.

But it was very entertaining; and like the host Dave Karger said; Ben Kingsley gave a spell-binding performance. The move set a few records; for the number of Oscars; 11; the biggest live scene ever; with 300,000 extras. Here is that opening scene:

Gandhi (1982) - Conscience Of All Mankind
Opening scenes, the death of the title character (Ben Kingsley) in Delhi, Harsh Nayyar as assassin, then the funeral, Shane Rimmer as the commentator, generally recognized as the largest movie scene ever filmed, with over 300,000 extras, from Richard Attenborough's Gandhi, 1982.

Gandhi (1982) - Conscience Of All Mankind

Upvote 0