✟372,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
anyway we're getting off track.

I think gaming is a Christian liberty issue that requires discernment as to what can lead you to sin, or subjects yourself to content that is unhealthy spiritually.

others say don't game at all.

I have literally spent thousands of hours of my life in games. The last one alone was 5275 hours total. Also, 14 years in Second Life, give or take. I've played something like a dozen MMORPG's, investing years in them. That's when you know you're spending too much time gaming and not enough time with God. Granted, most of that time I wasn't professing to be Christian.

You're right, it requires discernment. An understanding that you're potentially breaking one or more commandments by allowing something like gaming to rule your life. I suggest picking a different pursuit, if you can.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have literally spent thousands of hours of my life in games. The last one alone was 5275 hours total. Also, 14 years in Second Life, give or take. I've played something like a dozen MMORPG's, investing years in them. That's when you know you're spending too much time gaming and not enough time with God. Granted, most of that time I wasn't professing to be Christian.

You're right, it requires discernment. An understanding that you're potentially breaking one or more commandments by allowing something like gaming to rule your life. I suggest picking a different pursuit, if you can.

God bless!

I understand what you mean, but at the same time, they can be played without controlling your life.
I don't play them until after I've spent time reading the bible, after praying, and it's usually something I do while listening to sermons, rather than just staring at the screen. It just gives me something to do with my hands and eyes, while my mind and ears are occupied elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Freth

Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟372,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I understand what you mean, but at the same time, they can be played without controlling your life.
I don't play them until after I've spent time reading the bible, after praying, and it's usually something I do while listening to sermons, rather than just staring at the screen. It just gives me something to do with my hands and eyes, while my mind and ears are occupied elsewhere.

Regarding your OP: Satisfactory, Eco, Timberborn, Transport Fever 2, American Truck Simulator, European Truck Simulator

While not Christian, they don't have combat and there is no magic. There are many more, you just have to look.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've read the bible multiple times this year.

That's great! Do you study it, too? Do you dig into it and pore over its contents, forming a clear conception of its primary themes, linking them together through the Bible, then getting up-close-and-personal to Scripture, looking at word etymology, common usage, literary style, cultural context, etc, to get as much from each verse and passage as possible? Simply reading the Bible is the very lightest treatment of God's word you can give it. Reading is a start, but there's much more to be done with Scripture! Are you memorizing it? (Psalms 119:11; Proverbs 3:1-3) Are you meditating on it? (Psalms 1; Philippians 4:8) Are you living it out in your life? (James 1:22-25)

People hate me so much that they will disagree with me or reject what I'm telling them just to spite me has been a problem.

Jesus didn't get a great reception from everybody. In fact, some hated his message so much they got him beaten within an inch of his life then nailed to a cross to die. He had his eye on us, though, on our great need of saving, and on the joy of doing the will of the Father (Hebrews 12:2; Hebrews 10:7-9; John 5:30), even though he suffered terribly to redeem us. If he'd been focused on his suffering, on how poorly he was being treated, how unfair it was, he'd never have gone through with his atonement for our sin.

Sometimes, though, if we lose sight of loving the ones with whom we are sharing the God's truth, we can get in our own way, and put off people, not because of what we say, but because of how we say it.
(See: 2 Timothy 2:24-26)

Walking up to people and witnessing, or preaching, kinda requires physical walking, leaving the house. I'm a cripple.

I've got my own physical issues. It's partly why I write on CF. The 'net, though, opens up a universe of people and places to whom and in which you can be a bright light for Christ without having to leave your home.

I then feel responsible because I just caused someone to reject Christ.

Friend, most of the time God is working in spite of us to save people. We're chipped, cracked, worn vessels that He uses anyway, because He's greater than all our failings. The crucial thing isn't that we are perfect, powerfully persuasive, and wonderfully winsome but that He is. He asks us to be pure and willing to be used, well-informed about our faith so we are ready to give an answer for it to any who ask, loving Him deeply and humbly submitted to Him, but the rest, the actual saving of folk, is entirely His domain. (2 Timothy 2:25; John 6:44)

I've even tried witnessing in online games, being that's an avenue I can actually talk to people and they can't judge me by my physical appearance so maybe they wouldn't instantly hate me and hate anything I said even if it's good news.
Nope.. that hate follows me.
I've been called "Christcuck" more times than I want to remember.
I feel like it's not helping the Kingdom at all.

Live and learn. Give God control of you all throughout every day. Let Him shape in you the character of Christ. Understand the World will not, for the most part, want to hear the light and truth of the Gospel. But there are always some who, hearing the truth of salvation - perhaps through you - will be drawn to it and rescued from hell, brought into God's family and fellowship with their Maker. Your job isn't to please those who hate God and His truth, to make them like you, but to be a faithful ambassador for Christ, suffering for His sake, bringing the Light and Life of Jesus to the lost.

It's through scripture, I ask, I get pointed to scripture, or a word from scripture. Such as just the name Mephibosheth
or
"I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope."
which is Psalm 130:5

Okay. Fair enough. How do you know it's the Spirit bringing Scripture to mind in answer to your prayer, and not just your own mind at work finding an answer for you?

Well, it was repeating the same question I had asked before and gotten those 2 answers before, silently, without moving my mouth.
Can demons read your mind?
God can, Psalm 139
so.. right then.. when I asked my question... no the mask did not fall off, it was the tube that connects to the mask and it was pulled out.

I'm still not seeing why you should link the CPAP tube coming out of the mask to an answer to prayer. A whole bunch of things were happening at the exact time you prayed and your CPAP tube fell out: Your mask remained on; the CPAP continued to function; your heart kept beating; gravity continued to work; the earth proceeded in its orbit the sun; cars moved along road ways; toilets flushed, birds flew, and so on. How do you know the tube falling out was the one thing out of all of the things that happened in that moment that was a communication from God? It's just an assumption you're making that the tube was a sign, a message from God - a message, by the way, the content of which you end up having to form for yourself. Friend, this is NOT how God communicates with us. Is there any such instance in all of Scripture? Not that I know of. Instead, when God communicated to people in the record of the Bible it was crystal clear He was speaking and the content of His communication was likewise totally plain, no guessing about it whatever. He used burning bushes, a pillar of fire by night and a cloud by day, the ground opening and swallowing up the wicked, a disembodied hand writing with its finger on a wall, angelic visits, a talking donkey, consuming fire from heaven, and so on, not coincidence.

anyway we're getting off track.

I think gaming is a Christian liberty issue that requires discernment as to what can lead you to sin, or subjects yourself to content that is unhealthy spiritually.

others say don't game at all.

Well, as I already said, playing a video game occasionally is perfectly alright - except if it is demonic, occultic, hyper-sexual and/or violent.

God has given us richly all things to enjoy (1 Timothy 6:17). But, as the apostle Paul wrote, we should never be brought under the power of anything we enjoy, except God (1 Corinthians 6:12). Anything we would not instantly and permanently forsake in our pursuit of God is an idol, a competitor with Him in our lives, that will bring us to harm if we don't give it up.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
A few questions:
  1. What games do you like to play?
  2. What genres of games are you open to trying?
  3. How strictly are you judging "magic?" Are the power-ups in the Mario games foul play to you, or are you chiefly concerned with more overtly demonic stuff?
1. World building. I played and invested in Farmville 2 for about 3 years.
2. The genre doesn't matter so much
3. Power-ups aren't magic. It's more the world-view behind the game I might consider playing. For example, replacing the power of the Spirit with innate albeit supernatural power. This is what I mean by witchcraft.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Yes. After one of my gaming friends died, I quit Farmville 2. I haven't really gotten back into gaming both because I do not have the systems for it (I only have my phone) or the money that is required to make the worlds I build something to be truly proud of. Rn, I only check out the app store occasionally.

I hated how even in something as 'innocent' as Farmville 2, events would pop up that celebrated things like Halloween or Day of the Dead. Most games in the app store that I have tried, I've had to quit bc the game world was enchanted somehow.
Does it ever occur to you not to play games? Would you be able - or even willing - never to play a video game again? Have you ever tried? If not, you have been brought under the power of video gaming, you are a slave to it, and are in disobedience to God in remaining in such bondage.

There is nothing wrong with gaming - now and then. But if it is a daily practice and well in excess of the time you give God every day, and if you can't imagine enjoying life without gaming, well, your problem isn't finding a game to play, but that you have an idol in your life that is competing with God - and winning.

You'll have to give an account one day to God for the life you've lived - and wasted. Gaming is entertainment; it has no eternal value whatever and is, actually, an enormous distraction from far, far more important, more lasting and useful things.

You exist to serve God. It's why He made you. You don't have life so you can spend it in the empty, futile noise and colors of a digital fantasy.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
It's the same with me. So I really liked the community oriented games.
There's a lot I can't physically do, because of disability, and because the disability also involves immunosuppressive medication so the vaccines wouldn't really help me, I'm kind of just stuck at home a lot.
so I basically have to figure out things I can do within the 4 walls of my home, that don't require a lot of physical activity (even standing and walking), I even had to give up guitar because my fingers.. just can't do it anymore, they go numb and tingly frequently and sometimes have muscle spasms that make my fingers tense up out of my control.

I get bored really frequently, even WITH video games as an option sometimes I stare at what I have and feel like I don't feel like doing anything that's in front of me, I've already read the bible enough that I had been getting bored and my mind started wandering there (Its easier for me to get bored of something I can't interact with, I can't even watch a movie in 1 sitting because I get bored partway through, unless I'm watching with someone else and then I watch for their sake).

When every time I've prayed asking what should I do, the answer is always wait..
So.. even something that just wastes time has value in that.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
I was looking forward to the new Animal Crossing but I would need switch for that. Minecraft is more up my alley but I don't like the graphics. I have seriously considered Sims 2 though.
There are games you can play where you avoid those things. I love playing Sims 2 and building and decorating houses. There are witches in it, but you don't have to play them. Same way real life has all kind of things available, but just because you walk near to it doesn't mean you need open the door and dip your toes into it.
I am sure also you could play Minecraft or Animal Crossing without those elements.

• Friendly
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1. World building. I played and invested in Farmville 2 for about 3 years.
2. The genre doesn't matter so much
3. Power-ups aren't magic. It's more the world-view behind the game I might consider playing. For example, replacing the power of the Spirit with innate albeit supernatural power. This is what I mean by witchcraft.
  • If power is innate, is it always witchcraft, as opposed to given by the Creator? In fiction, of course.
  • You may appreciate games from Sid Meier and Firaxis (the company he co-founded after leaving Microprose). No witchcraft that I've seen in the Civilization series, Pirates, or the X-Com games (for X-Com games, powers that would manifest as "magic" in a fantasy setting are either inherent psi powers or technological in origin). Also, a bit of trivia: Meier is Lutheran.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. I'll check them out. Regarding innate power, I suppose strictly speaking, the answer is, 'No. Innate power can be given by God.' But when I try to apply such logic to my games, something seems off.
  • If power is innate, is it always witchcraft, as opposed to given by the Creator? In fiction, of course.
  • You may appreciate games from Sid Meier and Firaxis (the company he co-founded after leaving Microprose). No witchcraft that I've seen in the Civilization series, Pirates, or the X-Com games (for X-Com games, powers that would manifest as "magic" in a fantasy setting are either inherent psi powers or technological in origin). Also, a bit of trivia: Meier is Lutheran.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you. I'll check them out. Regarding innate power, I suppose strictly speaking, the answer is, 'No. Innate power can be given by God.' But when I try to apply such logic to my games, something seems off.
The Civilization games changed quite a bit over time. Civ IV is still my favorite (with all the expansions and certain mods, like Ranged Bombardment).

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes. After one of my gaming friends died, I quit Farmville 2. I haven't really gotten back into gaming both because I do not have the systems for it (I only have my phone) or the money that is required to make the worlds I build something to be truly proud of. Rn, I only check out the app store occasionally.

And God, who has given and sustains your life every moment? What about Him and your gaming? We are to seek to honor Him in all we do (1 Corinthians 10:31). You going to do that in regards to your gaming? If so, how?

I hated how even in something as 'innocent' as Farmville 2, events would pop up that celebrated things like Halloween or Day of the Dead. Most games in the app store that I have tried, I've had to quit bc the game world was enchanted somehow.

Ever heard the description, "straining at a gnat but swallowing a camel"? It's referring to fussing over small things while ignoring big ones. You're concerned about what sort of game to play (a small issue) but don't seem concerned at all about whether or not you should even be playing them (a big issue). Does it really honor God to game a lot so long as you play "nice" or "decent" games? What if God doesn't want you playing video games at all? What if, in your case, God thinks they are an addictive distraction that diminishes your usefulness to, and love for, Him? Does it really matter that you're wanting to play only decent ones?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Huh?
God made me creative. It is the creative part of me that finds world building an expression of myself.
And God, who has given and sustains your life every moment? What about Him and your gaming? We are to seek to honor Him in all we do (1 Corinthians 10:31). You going to do that in regards to your gaming? If so, how?

Ever heard the description, "straining at a gnat but swallowing a camel"? It's referring to fussing over small things while ignoring big ones. You're concerned about what sort of game to play (a small issue) but don't seem concerned at all about whether or not you should even be playing them (a big issue). Does it really honor God to game a lot so long as you play "nice" or "decent" games? What if God doesn't want you playing video games at all? What if, in your case, God thinks they are an addictive distraction that diminishes your usefulness to, and love for, Him? Does it really matter that you're wanting to play only decent ones?

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
The Civilization games changed quite a bit over time. Civ IV is still my favorite (with all the expansions and certain mods, like Ranged Bombardment).
Nice. The first world building game I ever played was ROME. I really enjoyed it

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Huh?
God made me creative. It is the creative part of me that finds world building an expression of myself.

God made you creative to serve His purposes, not your own. Your life was made to have Him at its center, not you. God cares not a bit if you are creative when your creativity is used ultimately for useless purposes that don't strengthen your relationship and service to Him.

Maybe I'm assuming things about you I shouldn't. Are you a born-again disciple of Jesus, a Christian?

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
God made you creative to serve His purposes, not your own. Your life was made to have Him at its center, not you. God cares not a bit if you are creative when your creativity is used ultimately for useless purposes that don't strengthen your relationship and service to Him.

Maybe I'm assuming things about you I shouldn't. Are you a born-again disciple of Jesus, a Christian?
Yes I am.
How do games not serve his purpose? Perhaps you said and I missed it.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟203,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
One game I have really liked that you may enjoy is no man's sky but that's either PC or PS4/Xbox One
it had a.. rough launch but.. it's improved since then and the devs continue to churn out free updates for it, so.. it's actually turned out pretty well. It's focused on exploration, with some light survival components (keeping your life support systems in your suit charged, hazard shields charged, your mining tool/weapon charged, ship fueled, etc, and hazardous planetary conditions like heat, cold, radiation, and occasional combat with hostile robotic "sentinels" and predatory animals.. and in space sometimes there are space pirate attacks but that comprises a small part of the game, but none of them are human), and base building and .. cataloguing wildlife on the planets you find.

I enjoy it because planets are procedurely generated so you don't know what you're going to find traveling to a new star system, the animals are also procedurely generated so there are some real bizzare creatures you can find and scan (you can even feed them and they'll follow you around like a lost dog)

No magic because everything is technology, lots of ships, ground vehicles, and trillions of planets.

Most of the other survival/crafting games I've played have a lot more violence to them and especially player vs player violence which I really try to avoid. NMS does not have any player on player violence (at least I think). You can explore with other players and there might be a setting for player on player damage but it can be turned off, I forget a lot of the multiplayer components, mostly I just see other players on the big ATLAS space station community hub. There are community missions that start from there.

But on phone I don't know of any building or exploration games on phone, mostly just puzzle.

Upvote 0