• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Gaming addiction.

Tomi_

Aug 23, 2018
Kittilä
✟9,804.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
May i finally realize how strongly im addicted to games and how much i have really wasted for time for no sense, i count that least 5000h+ i have played total of all games, some of them are violent gta's example, those games christian shouldn't play at all. Games been some kind of idolatery for me :C. today i had unistalled most of them, and i destroyed game cds. i wish i get rid from games, especially violent ones. i am 22 now i'v been spent entire childhood with games since 13 yr about. gaming is so endless trip, should focus what god have plan for me...

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
May i finally realize how strongly im addicted to games and how much i have really wasted for time for no sense, i count that least 5000h+ i have played total of all games, some of them are violent gta's example, those games christian shouldn't play at all. Games been some kind of idolatery for me :C. today i had unistalled most of them, and i destroyed game cds. i wish i get rid from games, especially violent ones. i am 22 now i'v been spent entire childhood with games since 13 yr about. gaming is so endless trip, should focus what god have plan for me...
If you feel you should stop playing all games I understand. I don't think all videogames are as bad as GTA etc though. I don't know much about addiction to videogames but using other people's experience and advice will help in my opinion.

Personally, I stopped playing for a month after becoming Christian. Then I started to play again but not as much and choosing games more carefully.

Here's a couple of links you might want to read about playing in general:

Should Christians Play Video Games? Are Video Games Sinful?

Can a Christian Play Video Games? – Holy Ghost Stories

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
While gaming not the best addiction, it is certainly better an addiction to gambling or alcohol or illegal drugs. Here is hoping that the good Lord guides you and blesses you in 2019!

Because it is "lesser" doesn't mean it is okay. Personally, I believe that wasting the time God gave us is just as bad as getting drunk or high. And it can be just as life destroying as any other addiction. The OP is saying that he recognized that he is addicted to gaming and I hope that you stay on the "bandwagon". Some people can play a game and walk away with no need to return to play just like some people can drink a glass of alcohol and then not feel the need to drink another....and in both, it doesn't interfere in their life. But for any addict, this is something you need to take to Jesus and commit to not listen to the call of the addiction. I wish you well and will pray for you. Plan for what you are going to do with your time when the gaming calls...read a book, your Bible, clean something, or go for a walk...

Reactions: Tomi_
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Entertainment is not a waste of time, but is a crucial part of a healthy life...*in moderation*. The problem with anything being an addiction is that it ends up being the central focus of our lives rather than God being our central focus. Anything we put ahead of God in our lives whether it be money or a material thing, an activity such as sports, a political ideology, or an addition...it is idolatry.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus wants us to love and forgive and care about even enemies. So, I see this can mean that we do well not to play games in which revenge and hurting others is involved. And in case someone is addicted to a game with unforgiveness and harming people, it could be the person is partly addicted to unforgiveness and wanting to have power over other people.

"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock." (1 Peter 5:3)

"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." (Romans 8:37)

Conquerors are limited to getting what their ways and methods make them able to get.

But in Jesus, we have ways which get so much better than what conquerors can get.

So, if a game has you training and exercising in methods and ways which get only what is inferior > we need to grow in Jesus and discover all we can get by means of

submitting to God in His peace > Colossians 3:15

relating as family with other Jesus family people > Ephesians 4:2, Ephesians 4:31-5:2

prayer

not basing our actions on fear

example > 1 Peter 5:3

And, by the way, learning how to love is much more interesting and challenging.

Reactions: Tomi_
Upvote 0