Gambling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard mixed opinions from Christians on this subject, and I want to hear from people on this forum.

Hubby and I consider ourselves Christians. We go to Tunica once a year for a couple of days to gamble and only with spare change from our money jar. In the six times we have been, we have at least broken even each time. We do think gambling can become sinful if a person is addicted to it, however.

2002 Christian

Mar 12, 2002
USA
✟897.00
If one isn't a wise steward in OTHER ways, it doesn't make much sense to discuss gambling with him. I mean, if we purchase the latest model cars, have huge homes, have jewelry worth the average man's annual salary, have giant screen TV's, the latest model computers, electronic devices, how can he argue against gambling a few bucks away?

Upvote 0

Droobie

Rebmem Raluger
Nov 22, 2001
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟20,072.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Gambling is a sin. Just because it is not specifically mentioned in the Bible doesn't mean that it is okay. In the same way, you could say doing drugs is okay.

Gambling relies on luck or chance to 'get rich quick', as opposed to hard work. When people gamble, there are winners, but there shall always be losers. How can one be content with financial gain at the loss of others?

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
I think people spend to much time deciding if what we do is a sin or not. But in Philippians 4:8 we are given a key.

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

It is clear that as Christians we tend to do what we are thinking about. If we are thinking right, our actions tend to be right. In John 15:16 Jesus tells us what we are to be doing as His disciples. We are to be bearing fruit. If we are thinking on that it will be pretty hard to go to the local house of ill repute and engage in illicit sex.

So lets think on the things that are right and pure and concern ourselves with be obedient to the commands of Jesus, and we will have few doubts about whether what we do is sin or not. The problem with the little word SIN is the "I" in the middle. If we get the "I" thinking on Jesus, and obeying His instructions, it will not be in SIN.

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that gambing is a sin as well.
Just last year I would have gambled but since I've rededicated my life to Christ, I wont even think about it.
You are using "luck" in gambling and I dont think God would want you to spend your money that way, why not tithe, or give to missions (if you have that at your church) or give it to something in your town?

Allison

Upvote 0
ive always heard gambeling was a sin as well.
but i personally do not hold to that doctrine.
the only place in the entire bible that i know of to speak of gambling at all is the situation of guards gambling over jesus' clothing.
but we are not told by the author of scripture that it is sinful.

yes there are hardworking ways to get money, yes hardwork does give more appreciation for your gain, hardwork is always more productive than quick gain.
but is it sin to gain quickly? the bible doesnt clearly say so.
is it sin to gamble? the bible doesnt clearly say so.

you yourself may feel guilty for not working for your money, or taking anothers money,
(even though that person willingly partook in the chance of losing it, knowing full well the chances).
but those are YOUR personal convictions.

like people argue over whether or not women should wear make up and cut their hair.
why do you want to change the way god made you look naturally? why wear make up and cover up what god really made you look like?
well, that is a good point, but the bible doesnt clearly teach that so you cant get dogmatic about it.

it is the same as, why not work for your money?

but when paul addressed the issue of hair and clothing he ended his speech with
if any man has contraversy then we have no such law.
that was the culture of their time, but if any woman wanted to use their freedom in christ, then they had the right to.

we are called to justify these things for ourselves.
whatever you do without faith is sin.
so, anything you do without having utmost faith that is isnt sinful, is a sin to you. becuase youve sinned agaisnt your consceince. thus willingly doing that thing even though your not sure if its right or not, you didnt care if it was or not, its the same as sinning with knoweldge.
(even if the bible doesnt say its wrong. if you think its wrong and do it, youve still said to god that you dont care to obey him)

how is gambeling any diffrent than going to a carnival and giving your money for a chance to win a prise?
you may not win the prise, your not working for your prise, and maybe your relying on luck.
but i dont hear people saying that is sinful.
yet we quickly condemn gambeling.
is playing cards wrong?
you win by luck.

using luck may not feel right to you, not working for your money may not feel right to you.
but unless you have clear scripture endorsing what you beleive, you cannot push your belief on other people.

i do not see how gambeling is wrong, or any diffrent than many other things we do quite often.
we must judge these things for ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
but like it was said earlier,
it can become sin if you let it get out of control.
if it comes between you and god. but those are personal issues between you and god, and not anyone else.

sometimes its a sin for me to get on the enternet, if ive made a promise to him to spend time with him instead.
but is getting on the enternet in general wrong?
certainly not.

it is a sin for my pastor to drink pepsi. haha
becuase he use to drink it so much, that he almost died from it, and god had been dealing with him about it for years. he was in rebellion and almost died from what the drink did to his body.
as small as that may seem, he was still in rebellion which is equal to witchcraft by drinking pepsi and it was sin to him.
but is drinking pepsi wrong for everyone else?
certainly not.

the same pastor says god deals with him about the way he lays his shoes in his closet, becuase of issues between him pleasing his wife. god deals with him personally about this.
but i dont worry about how i throw my shoes in my closet.

haha, just dont let gambeling come between you and your personal relationship with god. if you feel convicted for it, dont doit, but some dont feel convicted for it at all.

if they are not willingly and knowledgably sinning agaisnt god, and if the bible doesnt clear state that it is sin, then i do not beleive they are sinning at all.

this is like smoking, people say smoking will send you to hell.
why?
it kills your body, well, doesnt ham and steak and lots of sugar and unhealthy food kill your body too? and we all know the old covenant laws were done away with.
if the scripture isnt clear, then we are allowed to speculate and judge amoungst ourselves.

Upvote 0
I have not gambled since I became a christian because most christians discourage me from it. Me and my wife are planning on going to Shreeport one of these years with about $200 to gamble. We're not trying to become rich, or to make more money. We're doing it because it's a fun game. There is nothing wrong with spending money on a game either. We bowl too, which cost money.

I grew up close to Las Vegas, so I know what harms there are in gambling. Our motives for gambling is pure fun and only once every couple of years.

Our church teaches heavily against it, so we will keep it to ourselves. So not to become a stumbling block for others.

There are at least 3 ways to judge this matter.
1. will you get hurt?
2. will others get hurt?
3. are you in bondage to it?

Answers.
1. Yes, in some circumstances we can get hurt.
2. Others can get hurt if they are not aware of the dangers and they think its ok to gamble because you do it.
3. Some are in bondage.

Personaly, gambling is not a sin for me, given the circumstances of my participation in gambling. For others it may be sin, so I will keep it to myself.

Romans 14:22. Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.