Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Faith brings/accesses righteousness

Gal 3:
5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
(MY NOTE: Abraham put his FAITH in God & God declared Him righteous).

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
(MY NOTE: God justifies the gentiles/heathen through faith)

9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
(MY NOTE: The curse of the law, that we're redeemed from is: Death & all the penalties levied for sinning. (See Deut 28)

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
(MY NOTE: Gentiles receive the covenant promise blessing made to Abraham, "righteousness imputed thru faith". Received void of Mosaic law adherence (Rom 3:28)

17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
(MY NOTE: Abraham's covenant promise is made 430 yrs before the Mosaic/LAW covenant. The Mosaic LAW covenant didn't/doesn't, annual/replace, the FAITH covenant promise God made to Abraham)

The intent of the law:

Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
(MY NOTE: The Law was ADDED, to expose, condemn & declare the penalties levied for transgressions/SIN. The law was in effect, [time sensitive word >] ""Until""" the promised seed [Christ's Holy Spirit] should come. For Christ is the end of keeping laws to obtain a right standing before God/righteousness. Righteousness/a right standing before God is now obtained thru faith)

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
(MY NOTE: Righteousness/a right standing before God is given by/thru Faith, void of any law keeping)

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
(MY NOTE: All are sinners & deserve the laws just penalty/DEATH. But, thru the "Faith OF Christ" & His finished sin atoning work. Those that trust/believe/have FAITH in Him & His work. It's this FAITH whereby Christ (takes ALL the believers sins, imputes them onto Himself) & imputes His righteousness onto the believer placing them in a right standing with the Father)

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
(MY NOTE Before [< time sensitive word] faith/Christ came & paid sins wage/price. Everyone was under ALL the curses/punishments/judgments levied [Deut 28] for sin)

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
(MY NOTE: The law exposes sin & teaches us God's rules. It's faith in Christ's finished sin atoning work whereby the believer is saved/justified/placed in a sinless/right standing [Christ bought & paid for every sin judgement the law requires] with/before the Father.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
(MY NOTE: Believers do not obtain a right standing before God thru law keeping/good works)

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
(MY NOTE: It's the believers faith in Christ's finish sin atoning work that places them in a right standing before God)

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
(MY NOTE: Every Holy Spirit indwelt [received by/thru FAITH] believer is placed in a right standing with the Father)

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

The Gen 15 Abrahamic covenant promise:

Vs 6 the righteousness by faith promise
Vs 12, Abram is sleeping
Vs 17, The Lord Himself/alone passes through the pieces
Vs 18, That day Lord make's a covenant with Abram.

This Genesis covenant promise was 100% the Lord's work. Based on Abram's faith that God was able to keep/do it. Gen 22:16 (A) By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD.

The new testament/covenant post cross salvation (Christ's baptism/sealing with His Holy Spirit) is a free gift given via faith in the merits/work/sin payment & resurrection of Christ. Again this covenant is invoked & maintained 100% via the Lord's work.

Being justified freely by His grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus (Rom. 3:24). This redemption is accessed via FAITH (Ron 5:1-2)

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a "better covenant" which was established upon "better promises"
(MY NOTE: Christ Mediates A BETTER Covenant, Established Upon BETTER Promises).

Christ is BETTER then angels, because they worship the Christ. BETTER then Moses, because He created Him. BETTER then the Aaronic priesthood, because Christ's sin sacrifice is once for all time. BETTER then the law, because Christ mediates a BETTER, faith based covenant.

Righteous by works of the law has been replaced by "faith"

Gal 3:
19 Why, then, the Law [what was its purpose]? It was added [after the promise to Abraham, to reveal to people their guilt] because of transgressions [that is, to make people conscious of the sinfulness of sin], and [the Law] was ordained through angels and delivered to Israel by the hand of a mediator [Moses, the mediator between God and Israel, to be in effect] until the Seed would come to whom the promise had been made.

22 But the Scripture has imprisoned everyone [everything—the entire world] under sin, so that [the inheritance, the blessing of salvation] which was promised through faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe [in Him and acknowledge Him as God’s precious Son].

23 Now before faith came, we were kept in custody under the Law, [perpetually] imprisoned [in preparation] for the faith that was destined to be revealed

24 with the result that the Law has become our tutor and our disciplinarian to guide us to Christ, so that we may be [c]justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] by faith.

25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under [the control and authority of] a tutor and disciplinarian
Posted Gal 3:19-25 verses found here: Bible Gateway passage: Galatians 3 - Amplified Bible

Recap:
Vs 19 The Law was in effect UNTIL Christ came, Vs 23 the law was in effect UNTIL "faith" arrived, Vs 24 The law was our sin disciplinarian/teacher, Vs 25 But now that "faith" has come, we are no longer under the control & authority of] this teacher/disciplinarian.

Justification by Faith

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God has been clearly revealed [independently and completely] apart from the Law, though it is [actually] confirmed by the Law and the [words and writings of the] Prophets. 22 This righteousness of God comes through faith in Jesus Christ for all those [Jew or Gentile] who believe [and trust in Him and acknowledge Him as God’s Son]. There is no distinction,

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law [it leads to Him and its purpose is fulfilled in Him], for [granting] righteousness to everyone who believes [in Him as Savior].

(MY NOTE: By fulfilling the OT law's requirement. Christ brought it's function/purpose to an END/conclusion. The NT requirement to obtain righteousness that God has implemented is: Place your "Faith" in the Faithful/obedient (Rom 5:19) finished sin atoning work of Christ. Found in Hs death (sins required wage Paid), burial (proof Jesus died) & resurrection (Father's receipt, sins payment received & accepted)

All power, praise, glory & honor, belong to out great God & Savior, Jesus the Christ! AMEM & Amen...

Last edited:

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
hiFaith brings/accesses righteousness

Gal 3:
5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
In Acts 5:32, the Spirit has been given to those who obey God, so obedience to God is part of the way to receive the Spirit, however, Galatians 3:1-5 denies that works of the law are part of the way to receive the Spirit, therefore the phrase "works of the law" does not refer to obedience to God's law. In Romas 3:27, Paul contrasted a law of works with a law of faith, so works of the law are of works, while Romans 3:31 says that our faith upholds God's law, so it is of faith, and a law that our faith upholds can't be referring to the same thing as the works of the law that are not of faith in Galatians 3:10-11.

While it is true that Abraham believed God, so he was justified (Genesis 15:6), it is also true that he believed God, so he obeyed God's command to offer Isaac (Hebrews 11:17), so the same faith by which he was justified was also expressed as obedience to God, througgh he did no earn his justification by his obedience as a wage (Romans 4:1-5). In James 2:21-24, it quotes Genesis 15:6 to support saying that Abraham was justified by his works when he offered Isaac, his faith was active along with his works, and his faith completed his works, so he was justified by his works insofar as they were an expression of his faith. Likewise, in Galatians 3:7, those who are of faith are the children of Abraham, and in John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him, so again that is the way to have the same faith ss Abraham, and bring declared righteous is being declared to be someone who does what is righteous in obedience to God.

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

In Matthew 4:17-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, and God's law was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to it is central to the Gospel message. Furthermore, that is in accordance with Jesus being sent in fulfillment of the promise to bless us by turning us from our wicked ways (Acts 3:25-26) and the Gospel that was made known in advance to Abraham in accordance with the promise (Galatians 3:8), which he spread to those in Haran (Genesis 12:1-5). In Psalms 119:1-3, God's law is against how the children of Abraham knew how to be blessed by walking in God's way, do the way to inherit the promise through faith is by blessing the nations by teaching them how to walk in God's way in accordance with spreading the Gospel.
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
(MY NOTE: The curse of the law, that we're redeemed from is: Death & all the penalties levied for sinning. (See Deut 28)
In regard to Galatians 3:10-13, in Deuteronomy 28, it describes the blessing of relying on God's law and the curse for not continuing to rely on it, so those who rely on works of the law instead of continuing to rely on God's law come under the curse of the law. Paul associated a quote from Habakkuk 2:4 saying that the righteous shall live by faith with a quote from Leviticus 18:5 that the one obeys God's law will attain life by it, so the righteous who are living by faith are the same as those who are living in obedience to God's law, which is also in accordance with Isaiah 51:7, where the righteous are those on whose heart is God's law. God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so to obediently rely on what God has instructed is to rely on God, while to interpret this passage as saying that what God has instructed is not of faith is to deny the faithfulness of God.

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
(MY NOTE: Gentiles receive the covenant promise blessing made to Abraham, "righteousness imputed thru faith". Received void of Mosaic law adherence (Rom 3:28)
The bless of Abraham comes to Gentiles through Jesus Christ by turning them from their wickedness and teaching them to obey God's law in accordance with the promise, with spreading the Gospel, and with receiving the Spirit through faith. Romans 3:28 is speaking about works of the law, not about God's law. To say that God is righteous is to say that He does what is righteous, so to be imputed with the righteousness of God is to be made into someone who does what is righteous, and God's law is the way to do what is righteous not the way to be imputed with the righteousness of God.

17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
(MY NOTE: Abraham's covenant promise is made 430 yrs before the Mosaic/LAW covenant. The Mosaic LAW covenant didn't/doesn't, annual/replace, the FAITH covenant promise God made to Abraham)
The Mosaic Covenant was made with the children of Abraham, so it is in accordance with promise made to Abraham concerning his children, not contrary to it, especially his children should be doing the same works that he did in accordance with the Mosaic Covenant.

The intent of the law:

Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
(MY NOTE: The Law was ADDED, to expose, condemn & declare the penalties levied for transgressions/SIN. The law was in effect, [time sensitive word >] ""Until""" the promised seed [Christ's Holy Spirit] should come.
In Romans 5:13, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted against us where there is no law, so the law was added to give us knowledge of what sin is (Romans 3:20). Christ did not come with the message that God's law has ended now that he has come so people need to stop repenting, but rather he came with the Gospel message in accordance with the promise calling for people to repent from disobeying it, so Galatians 3:19 should not be interpreted in a way that undermines everything that Christ taught.

For Christ is the end of keeping laws to obtain a right standing before God/righteousness. Righteousness/a right standing before God is now obtained thru faith)
In Romans 3:21-22, it does not say that the Law and the Prophets testify that the righteousness of God comes through our obedience to God's law, but rather they testify that it comes through faith in Christ for all who believe, so this has always been the way that is testified about, not something that changed. Christ could not have ended keeping laws as a means of earning righteousness when God's law was never given as a means of doing that.

Furthermore, ending keeping laws as a means of earning our righteousness has nothing to do with the point Paul was making in the context of Romans 10:4. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him His ways that he might know Him and Israel too, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so knowing God snd Jesus is the goal of the law, which is eternal life (John 17:3)

In Romans 9:30-10:4, the Israelites had a zeal for God, but it was not based on knowing Him, so they failed to attain righteousness because they misunderstood the goal of the law by pursuing it as though righteousness were the result of their works rather than pursuing it as through righteousness were by faith in Christ, for knowing Christ is the goal of the law for righteousness for everyone who has faith. In Romans 10:5-10, this faith references Deuteronomy 30:11-16 in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult to obey, that obedience to it brings life, in regard to what we are agreeing to do by confessing that Jesus is Lord, and in regard to the way to believe that God raised him from the death. So again nothing in this passage has anything to do with ending any of God's laws, but just the oppposite
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
(MY NOTE: Righteousness/a right standing before God is given by/thru Faith, void of any law keeping)
In Matthew 19:17 and Luke 10:25-28, Jesus said that the way to enter eternal life is by obeying God's commanded. In Romans 2:6-7, eternal life is give to those who persist in doing good. According to Romans 6:19-23, obedience to God's law is the content of His gift of eternal life. In Hebrews 5:9, Jesus has become a source of eternal salvation for those who obey Him. In Revelation 22:14, those who obeyed God's commandments are given the right to eat from the Tree of Life. So while eternal life is not the result of obeying God's law, obeying it is intrinsically the content of God's gift of eternal life.
22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
(MY NOTE: All are sinners & deserve the laws just penalty/DEATH. But, thru the "Faith OF Christ" & His finished sin atoning work. Those that trust/believe/have FAITH in Him & His work. It's this FAITH whereby Christ (takes ALL the believers sins, imputes them onto Himself) & imputes His righteousness onto the believer placing them in a right standing with the Father)
God's law is God's word and Jesus embodied God's law by living in sinless obedience to it, so he is God's word made flesh, and obediently having faith in God's word is the same as having faith in God's word made flesh.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
(MY NOTE Before [< time sensitive word] faith/Christ came & paid sins wage/price. Everyone was under ALL the curses/punishments/judgments levied [Deut 28] for sin)

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
(MY NOTE: The law exposes sin & teaches us God's rules. It's faith in Christ's finished sin atoning work whereby the believer is saved/justified/placed in a sinless/right standing [Christ bought & paid for every sin judgement the law requires] with/before the Father.
The law brings us to Christ because it goal is to teach us how to know him, or in other words, how to have s relationship with him through faith. We are saved by faith in Christ and living in obedience to God's law is intrinsically the content of the gift of being saved from not living in obedience to it.

(MY NOTE: Believers do not obtain a right standing before God thru law keeping/good works)
That was never the purpose of the law. Furthermore, someone who disregarded everything their schoolmaster taught them after they graduated would be missing the who point of a schoolmaster.
(MY NOTE: It's the believers faith in Christ's finish sin atoning work that places them in a right standing before God)

(MY NOTE: Every Holy Spirit indwelt [received by/thru FAITH] believer is placed in a right standing with the Father)

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Every aspect of being children of God, in Christ, through faith, being children of Abraham, and heirs to the promise is all directly connected to living in obedience to God's law. In 1 John 3:4-10, those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to God's law are not children of God. In 1 John 2:6, those who ae in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked. In Romans 3:31, our faith upholds God's law. Im

Vs 12, Abram is sleeping

This Genesis covenant promise was 100% the Lord's work. Based on Abram's faith that God was able to keep/do it. Gen 22:16 (A) By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD.

The new testament/covenant post cross salvation (Christ's baptism/sealing with His Holy Spirit) is a free gift given via faith in the merits/work/sin payment & resurrection of Christ. Again this covenant is invoked & maintained 100% via the Lord's work.
In Genesis 18:19, Genesis 26:4-5, an Deuteronomy 30:16, all of the promise was made to Abraham and brought about because he walked in God's way in obedience to His law, he taught his children how to do that, and because his children did that. The fact that our salvation is 100% given as a gift does not mean that it does not require our participation through faith.

Being justified freely by His grace, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus (Rom. 3:24). This redemption is accessed via FAITH (Ron 5:1-2)

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a "better covenant" which was established upon "better promises"

Christ is BETTER then angels, because they worship the Christ. BETTER then Moses, because He created Him. BETTER then the Aaronic priesthood, because Christ's sin sacrifice is once for all time. BETTER then the law, because Christ mediates a BETTER, faith based covenant.

All power, praise, glory & honor, belong to out great God & Savior, Jesus the Christ! AMEM & Amen...
Christ it God's word made flesh, so he is not better than God's word.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
These Gifts Holy Spirit, Eternal Life, Righteousness given by God to believers based on FAITH. Faith placed in Christ's sin atoning work.

HOLY SPIRIT - A gift given thru FAITH: Acts 10:45, 11:17

Acts 10:
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
(MY NOTE: The Holy Spirit falls on gentiles, void of any Mosaic law adherence!)

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(MY NOTE: By FAITH these gentiles received the free gift of God's eternally indwelling, salvation sealing Holy Spirit. Completely void of any Mosaic laws!)

Acts 11:
16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
(MY NOTE: Those that believed/had FAITH on the Lord Jesus Christ. Freely received Christ's Holy Spirit baptism)

ETERNAL LIFE - A gift given thru FAITH:

Jn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
(MY NOTE: The GIFT of ETERNAL LIFE given to he who has FAITH on the Son)

Jn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
(MY NOTE: He that has FAITH in Christ & believes the Father sent Him "HAS" [present tense] ETERNAL LIFE.)

Jn 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
(MY NOTE: ETERNAL LIFE is GIVEN to he who has FAITH in the Son)

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
(MY NOTE: the GIFT of ETERNAL LIFE is GIVEN FREELY thru FAITH in Christ. Also see Rom 5:1-2)

RIGHTEOUSNESS - A gift given thru FAITH:

Rom 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
(MY NOTE: Thru faith Abraham was freely granted RIGHTEOUSNESS)

Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
(MY NOTE: NOT to him that works. But, RIGHTEOUSNESS is freely given to him that has faith in Christ)

Rom 5:
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
(MY NOTE: The gift of righteousness

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
(MY NOTE: RIGHTEOUSNESS is a FREE GIFT)

GRACE - A gift given freely & received thru FAITH:

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
(MY NOTE: This verse proclaims GRACE is a FREE GIFT - TWICE!)

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
(MY NOTE: Saving grace is a GIFT from God)

GIFTS are given, NOT, worked for/earned!

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
These Gifts Holy Spirit, Eternal Life, Righteousness given by God to believers based on FAITH. Faith placed in Christ's sin atoning work.
While agree that gifts are not earned as a wage, works can be done for any number of other reasons, such has faith or love, which have nothing to do with trying to earn a wage. Furthermore, the content of a gift can intrinsically involve doing works, such as giving someone the opportunity to drive a Ferrari for an hour, which intrinsically involves them doing the work of driving it, and doing the work of driving it has nothing to do with trying to earn the gift. Likewise, the content of a gift can itself be teaching someone how to do something, such as a professional musician teaching someone how to play an instrument as a gift to them, which necessarily involves their participative, but again has nothing to do with trying to earn the gift.

In Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is descried as God being gracious to us by teaching us to do works which are in accordance with His law, so God graciously teaching us to obey His law through faith is the way that He gives us His gift of salvation. Furthermore, in Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law is the way to have faith in what Christ accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20).

In Exodus 33:13, Moses waned God to be gracious to him by teaching him His way that he might know Him and Israel too, in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, an in John 17:3, eternal life is knowing God and Jesus, so again God graciously teaching us to obey His law through faith is the way that He gives us His gift of eternal life.
HOLY SPIRIT - A gift given thru FAITH: Acts 10:45, 11:17

Acts 10:
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
(MY NOTE: The Holy Spirit falls on gentiles, void of any Mosaic law adherence!)

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(MY NOTE: By FAITH these gentiles received the free gift of God's eternally indwelling, salvation sealing Holy Spirit. Completely void of any Mosaic laws!)

Acts 11:
16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
(MY NOTE: Those that believed/had FAITH on the Lord Jesus Christ. Freely received Christ's Holy Spirit baptism)
In Acts 5:32, the Spirit has been given to those who obey God, so it is false that they were void of any Mosaic Law adherence. Even if they were not obeying the Mosaic Law before receiving the Spirit, they were certainly obeying it afterwards because the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey it (Ezekiel 36:26-27). In Romans 2:25-29, the way to recognize that a Gentile has a circumcised heart is by observing their obedience to the Mosaic Law, which is the same way to tell for a Jew (Deuteronomy 10:12-16), and circumcision of the heart is a matter of the Spirit, which is in contrast with Acts 7:53, where those with uncircumcised hearts resist the Spirit and do not obey the Mosaic Law. In Romans 8:4-7, those who walk in the Spirit are contrasted with those who have minds set on the flesh who refuse to submit to the Mosaic Law, so to say that the Spirit has cleansed the hearts of Gentiles by faith is to say that they are living in obedience to the Mosaic Law.
ETERNAL LIFE - A gift given thru FAITH:

Jn 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
(MY NOTE: The GIFT of ETERNAL LIFE given to he who has FAITH on the Son)

Jn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
(MY NOTE: He that has FAITH in Christ & believes the Father sent Him "HAS" [present tense] ETERNAL LIFE.)

Jn 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
(MY NOTE: ETERNAL LIFE is GIVEN to he who has FAITH in the Son)

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
(MY NOTE: the GIFT of ETERNAL LIFE is GIVEN FREELY thru FAITH in Christ. Also see Rom 5:1-2).
In Matthew 19:17, Jesus said that the way to enter eternal life is by keeping God's commandment. In Luke 10:25-28, the way to inherit eternal life is by obeying the greater two commandments. In Romans 2:6-7, eternal life is given to those who persist in doing good. In Hebrews 5:9, Jesus became a source of eternal salvation for those who obey him. In Revelation 22:14, those who obeyed God's commandments are given the right to eat from the Tree of Life. So these verses in accordance with the verses that you cited mean that obedience to God's commandants through faith in the Son is the way that God gives us His gift of eternal like. In addition, in Romans 6:19-23, no longer presenting ourselves as slaves to impurity, lawlessness, and sin is contrasted with now presenting ourselves as slaves to God and to righteousness leading to sanctification, and the goal of sanctification is eternal life in Christ, which is the gift of God, so again the content of that gift is teaching us to obey the Mosaic law through faith in the Son.
RIGHTEOUSNESS - A gift given thru FAITH:

Rom 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
(MY NOTE: Thru faith Abraham was freely granted RIGHTEOUSNESS)

Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
(MY NOTE: NOT to him that works. But, RIGHTEOUSNESS is freely given to him that has faith in Christ)

Rom 5:
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
(MY NOTE: The gift of righteousness

18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
(MY NOTE: RIGHTEOUSNESS is a FREE GIFT)
For someone to have a character trait is to be someone who chooses to express that character trait through their actions, so to say that someone is courageous is to say that they choose to take courageous actions. Furthermore, it would be contradictory to describe someone as courageous if they choose not to take courageous actions, so having a character trait can't be separated from being someone who chooses to express that trait. In a similar way, to say that God is righteous is to say that He chooses to take righteous actions and someone being righteous can't be separated from being someone who choose to take righteous actions, so the content of the gift of righteousness is becoming someone who does what is righteous, and God's law is His instructions for teaching us how to do that.
GRACE - A gift given freely & received thru FAITH:

Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
(MY NOTE: This verse proclaims GRACE is a FREE GIFT - TWICE!)

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
(MY NOTE: Saving grace is a GIFT from God)

GIFTS are given, NOT, worked for/earned!
Our salvation is from sin and sin is the transgression of God's law, so living in obedience to it is intrinsically part of the content of the gift of Jesus saving us from not living in obedience it it. For example, honoring our parents is intrinsically the content of the gift of Jesus saving us from not honoring our parents. While Ephesians 2:8-10 denies that our salvation is the result of our good works, it does not deny that doing good works is intrinsically part of the gift of Jesus saving us from not doing them, but rather the gift of our salvation involves being made new creations in Christ to do them.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well done. . .

A few important comments:
Faith brings/accesses righteousness
Gal 3:

Abraham believed in the promise (Ge 15:5 - seed, Jesus Christ, Gal 3:16) and God credited (imputed) it to him as righteousness (Ge 15:6).
(MY NOTE: The curse of the law, that we're redeemed from is Death: & all the penalties levied for sinning. (See Deut 28)
We are redeemed from eternal death for the condemnation into which we are born because of Adam (Ro 5:18),
by nature (with which we are born) objects of wrath (Eph 2:3), from which wrath Jesus saves (Ro 5:9) by faith.
Actually the blessing to Abraham was the promise of the Spirit (Eph 1:13, Ac 2:33, Ac 2:39).
Abraham's righteousness is not stated as a promise, it is stated as a declaration regarding Abraham (Ge 15:6).

16 The promises (seed, Ge 15:5, and eternal land, Ge 12:7, 13:14-17, 17:4-8, 22:16-18, Ro 4:13) were spoken to Christ only, not to all of Abraham's seed.
The promise of seed to Christ is fulfilled in the church, and the eternal land (Ge 17:8, 48:4) is the new heavens and new earth (Ro 4:13).

Keeping in mind that Abraham's righteousness by faith was not a covenant promise, it was simply a declaration (Ge 15:6) and
likewise, the promise blessing to Abraham was the promise of the Holy Spirit (Eph 1:13, Ac 2:33, Ac 2:39), not righteousess.

The "Old Covenant" is the covenant made with Abraham of which the Mosaic Covenant was a temporary addition (Gal 3:19, Ro 5:20).
(Heb 8:3 calls the Mosaic Covenant "old" in relation to the NT New Covenant.)
The New Covenant (indwelling Holy Spirit) is the fulfillment of the Old (Abrahamic) Covenant promise (Eph 1:13, Ac 2:33, 2:39).
The intent of the law:

(MY NOTE: The Law was ADDED, to expose, condemn & declare the penalties levied for transgressions/SIN. The law was in effect, [time sensitive word >] ""Until""" the promised seed [Christ's Holy Spirit] should come. For Christ is the end of keeping laws to obtain a right standing before God/righteousness. Righteousness/a right standing before God is now obtained thru faith)
(MY NOTE: All are sinners & deserve the laws just penalty/DEATH. But, thru the "Faith OF Christ" & His finished sin atoning work.
Neither "of" nor "in" are specifically stated in the Greek, which reads: "the scripture shut up all mankind under sin in order that the promise by faith Jesus Christ might be given to the believing," where either the word "of" or "in" is indicated.
In light of the rest of the NT, the word "in" is the meaning.
Those that trust/believe/have FAITH in Him & His work. It's this FAITH whereby Christ (takes ALL the believers sins, imputes them onto Himself) & imputes His righteousness onto the believer placing them in a right standing with the Father)
Death (blood sacrifice) is payment of penalty required by the Father for sin against him (his law).
Jesus paid the penalty to the Father, whereby
the Father cancelled the debt of (forgave) sin for,
the Father declared in right standing (justification) with his justice; i.e., acquitted guilt of,
and the Father imputes righteousness to
all who believe in Jesus Christ.

(MY NOTE: The law exposes sin & teaches us God's rules.
In NT terminology, "the law reveals sin" (Ro 3:20), it states nothing about teaching us God's rules, keeping in mind that
the rules for the whole sacrificial, defilement, cleansing, feasts, etc. system have been abolished (Eph 2:15).
God has a new rule, and it's only one rule (Ro 13:9): love of God and love of neighbor as self.
Fulfilling that one rule is fulfillment of the whole Decalogue, the rest of the law ("ceremonial") having been abolished on the cross (Eph 2:15).
It's faith in Christ's finished sin atoning work whereby the believer is saved/justified/placed in a sinless/right standing [Christ bought & paid for every sin judgement the law requires] with/before the Father.

Righteousness was not a covenant promise, it is the result of believing (Ge 15:6) in the covenant promise (Jesus Christ).
The covenant promise is seed (Ge 15:5, Jesus Christ, Gal 3:16).
Vs 12, Abram is sleeping

This Genesis covenant promise was 100% the Lord's work. Based on Abram's faith that God was able to keep/do it.
Keeping in mind, the covenant promise is Jesus Christ (seed, Ge 15:5).
Gen 22:16 (A) By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD.
It is a better covenant because Christ, its sacrifice, High Priest and Mediator, is better.
And all the saints said, "AMEN!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OT Mosaic Law demanded righteousness through self-works. NT supplies righteousness by God's grace &, through faith in Christ's work.

Just as the Law of Lift, supersedes the Law of Gravity.

NT Law of Faith (Rom 3:27), supersedes the OT Law of Works

Jn 1:17 For the Law was given through Moses, but grace [the unearned, undeserved favor of God] and truth came through Jesus Christ

Justification/Righteousness/Salvation are seized/accessed via FAITH:

Rom 5:
1 Therefore, since we have been justified [that is, acquitted of sin, declared blameless before God] by faith, [let us grasp the fact that] we have peace with God [and the joy of reconciliation with Him] through our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed).

Rom 10:
3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness [which is based on faith], and seeking to establish their own [righteousness based on works], they did not submit to God’s righteousness.

4 For Christ is the end of the law [it leads to Him and its purpose is fulfilled in Him], for [granting] righteousness to everyone who believes [in Him as Savior].

Gal 2:16 yet we know that a man is not [e]justified [and placed in right standing with God] by works of the Law, but [only] through faith in [God’s beloved Son,] Christ Jesus. And even we [as Jews] have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the Law. By observing the Law no one will ever be justified [declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty].

Eph 2:
8 For it is by grace [God’s remarkable compassion and favor drawing you to Christ] that you have been saved [actually delivered from judgment and given eternal life] through faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [not through your own effort], but it is the [undeserved, gracious] gift of God;

9 not as a result of [your] works [nor your attempts to keep the Law], so that no one will [be able to] boast or take credit in any way [for his salvation].

Tit 3:
5 He saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we have done, but because of His own compassion and mercy, by the cleansing of the new birth (spiritual transformation, regeneration) and renewing by the Holy Spirit,

6 whom He poured out richly upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior,

7 so that we would be justified [made free of the guilt of sin] by His [compassionate, undeserved] grace, and that we would be [acknowledged as acceptable to Him and] made heirs of eternal life [actually experiencing it] according to our hope (His guarantee).

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
OT Mosaic Law demanded righteousness through self-works. NT supplies righteousness by God's grace &, through faith in Christ's work.

In Romans 3:21-22, it does not say that the Law and the Prophets testify that righteousness of God comes through self-works, but rather they testify that it comes through faith in Christ for all who believe. God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to rely on God is by relying on what God has instructed, and it is not giving credit where it is due to think that we are relying on our own works by relying on what God has instructed. In Psalms 119:29-30, David wanted to to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of faithfulness, so God's law has always been the law of faith, and this his always been the one and only way of becoming righteous by grace through faith.

Jn 1:17 For the Law was given through Moses, but grace [the unearned, undeserved favor of God] and truth came through Jesus Christ
In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him His way that he might know Him, which is eternal life (John 17:3), and in Psalms 119:142, God's law is truth, so grace and true came through God's law and also through Jesus because he embodied that grace and truth by setting a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to it.

Rom 5:
1 Therefore, since we have been justified [that is, acquitted of sin, declared blameless before God] by faith, [let us grasp the fact that] we have peace with God [and the joy of reconciliation with Him] through our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed).
You do not having faith in God to rightly divide between right and wrong through His law.

Rom 10:
3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness [which is based on faith], and seeking to establish their own [righteousness based on works], they did not submit to God’s righteousness.

4 For Christ is the end of the law [it leads to Him and its purpose is fulfilled in Him], for [granting] righteousness to everyone who believes [in Him as Savior].
In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so that along with Exodus 33:13 means that knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law. In Romans 9:30-10:4, they Israelites had a zeal for God, but it was not based on knowing Him, so they failed to attain righteousness because they missed the whole goal of the law by pursuing it as through righteousness were the result of our works instead of pursuing it as through righteousness were by faith in Christ, for Christ is the goal of the law for righteousness for everyone who has faith. In Romans 10:5-10, this faith references Deuteronomy 30:11-16 in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult to obey, that obedience to it brings life and a curse, in regard to what we are agreeing to obey by confessing that Jesus is Lord, and in regard to the way to believe that God rose him from the dead.

Gal 2:16 yet we know that a man is not [e]justified [and placed in right standing with God] by works of the Law, but [only] through faith in [God’s beloved Son,] Christ Jesus. And even we [as Jews] have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the Law. By observing the Law no one will ever be justified [declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty].
In Romans 3:27, Paul contrasted a law of works with a law of faith, so works of the law are of works, while he said in Romans 3:31 that our faith upholds God's law, so it is of faith, yet your faith does not uphold it because you don't trust God to correctly divide between right and wrong through His law.

Eph 2:
8 For it is by grace [God’s remarkable compassion and favor drawing you to Christ] that you have been saved [actually delivered from judgment and given eternal life] through faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [not through your own effort], but it is the [undeserved, gracious] gift of God;

9 not as a result of [your] works [nor your attempts to keep the Law], so that no one will [be able to] boast or take credit in any way [for his salvation].
In Ephesians 2:8-10, we are new creations in Christ to do good works, so while our salvation is not the result of our works lest anyone should boast, choosing to do good works is nevertheless a central part of our salvation.

Tit 3:
5 He saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that we have done, but because of His own compassion and mercy, by the cleansing of the new birth (spiritual transformation, regeneration) and renewing by the Holy Spirit,

7 so that we would be justified [made free of the guilt of sin] by His [compassionate, undeserved] grace, and that we would be [acknowledged as acceptable to Him and] made heirs of eternal life [actually experiencing it] according to our hope (His guarantee).
In Titus 2:11-14, our salvation is described as being trained by grace to do what is godly, righteous, and good, and to renounce doing what is ungodly, so our salvation is neither the result of those works, nor are those works the result of our salvation, but rather God graciously teaching us to do those works is itself the content of His gift of salvation.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Everyone of these post #6 verses are a direct copy & paste from the Bible. Find here: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

The brackets in these posted verses are placed by the Amp Bible translators (NOT ME).

Rom 5:

Rom 10:

Eph 2:

Tit 3:

Everyone of these post #6 verses are a direct copy & paste from the Bible. Find here: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

It's sad that some people are compelled to argue with the truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The brackets in these posted verses are placed by the Amp Bible translators (NOT ME).

Rom 5:

Rom 10:

Eph 2:

Tit 3:

It's sad that some people must argue with the truth.
I did not dispute the truth of those verses, but spoke in regard to how they should be understood. In Psalms 119:142, the Masaic Law is truth, so you are in opposition to the truth.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
NT Justification by Faith
Rom 3:
21 (A) But now the righteousness of God has been clearly revealed [independently and completely] apart from the Law,

22 This righteousness of God comes through faith in Jesus Christ for all those [Jew or Gentile] who believe [and trust in Him and acknowledge Him as God’s Son]. There is no distinction,

24 and are being justified [declared free of the guilt of sin, made acceptable to God, and granted eternal life] as a gift by His [precious, undeserved] [c]grace, through the redemption [the payment for our sin] which is [provided] in Christ Jesus,

25 whom God displayed publicly [before the eyes of the world] as a [life-giving] [d]sacrifice of atonement and reconciliation (propitiation) by His blood [to be received] through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness [which demands punishment for sin], because in His forbearance [His deliberate restraint] He passed over the sins previously committed [before Jesus’ crucifixion]

26 It was to demonstrate His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the One who justifies those who have faith in Jesus [and rely confidently on Him as Savior].

27 Then what becomes of [our] boasting? It is excluded [entirely ruled out, banished]. On what principle? On [the principle of good] works? No, but on the principle of faith

Faith Brings Righteousness
Gal 3:
3 Are you so foolish and senseless? Having begun [your new life by faith] with the Spirit, are you now being perfected and reaching spiritual maturity by the flesh [that is, by your own works and efforts to keep the Law]?

6 Just as Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness, [as conformity to God’s will and purpose—so it is with you also]

11 Now it is clear that no one is justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing] before God by the Law, for “The righteous (the just, the upright) shall live by faith.”

12 But the Law does not rest on or require faith [it has nothing to do with faith], but [instead, the Law] says, “He who practices them [the things prescribed by the Law] shall live by them [instead of faith].”

13 Christ purchased our freedom and redeemed us from the curse of the Law and its condemnation by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs [crucified] on a tree (cross)”— 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might also come to the Gentiles, so that we would all receive [the realization of] the promise of the [Holy] Spirit through faith.

Intent of the Law
19 Why, then, the Law [what was its purpose]? It was added [after the promise to Abraham, to reveal to people their guilt] because of transgressions [that is, to make people conscious of the sinfulness of sin], and [the Law] was ordained through angels and delivered to Israel by the hand of a mediator [Moses, the mediator between God and Israel, to be in effect] until the Seed would come to whom the promise had been made.

23 Now before faith came, we were kept in custody under the Law, [perpetually] imprisoned [in preparation] for the faith that was destined to be revealed,

24 with the result that the Law has become our tutor and our disciplinarian to guide us to Christ, so that we may be [c]justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing with God] by faith.

25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under [the control and authority of] a tutor and disciplinarian.

Ministers of a New Covenant
2 Cor 3:
6 He has qualified us [making us sufficient] as ministers of a new covenant [of salvation through Christ], not of the letter [of a written code] but of the Spirit; for the letter [of the Law] kills [by revealing sin and demanding obedience], but the Spirit gives life.

7 Now if the ministry of death, engraved in letters on stones [the covenant of the Law which led to death because of sin], came with such glory and splendor that the Israelites were not able to look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, [a brilliance] that was fading,

8 how will the ministry of the Spirit [the new covenant which allows us to be Spirit-filled] fail to be even more glorious and splendid?

9 For if the ministry that brings condemnation [the old covenant, the Law] has glory, how much more does glory overflow in the ministry that brings righteousness [the new covenant which declares believers free of guilt and sets them apart for God’s special purpose]!

A New Covenant - A Better Ministry

Heb 8:13 When God speaks of “A new covenant,” He makes the first one obsolete. And whatever is becoming obsolete (out of use, annulled) and growing old is ready to disappear.

The Old and the New
Heb 9:
12 He went once for all into the Holy Place [the Holy of Holies of heaven, into the presence of God], and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, having obtained and secured eternal redemption [that is, the salvation of all who personally believe in Him as Savior]

15 For this reason He is the Mediator and Negotiator of a new covenant [that is, an entirely new agreement uniting God and man], so that those who have been called [by God] may receive [the fulfillment of] the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has taken place [as the payment] which redeems them from the sins committed under the obsolete first covenant.

(MY NOTE: Every verse posted above is a direct copy & paste from the Amplified Bible. The old Mosaic law covenant is OBSOLETE & has neen REPLACED wait a NEW BETTER covenant!
The next 2 verses below (direct copy & paste from the AMP Bible). Show when & where the old Mosaic law covenant is is retired. 3 Day's later in RESURRECTION POWER the New Better Eternal covenant began.

Matt 27:
50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud [agonized] voice, and gave up His spirit [voluntarily, sovereignly dismissing and releasing His spirit from His body in submission to His Father’s plan].

51 And [at once] the veil [of the Holy of Holies] of the temple was [l]torn in two from top to bottom; the earth shook and the rocks were split apart

Perversion of the Gospel
Gal 1:
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we [originally] preached to you, let him be condemned to destruction!

9 As we have said before, so I now say again, if anyone is preaching to you a gospel different from that which you received [from us], let him be condemned to destruction!

(MY NOTE: Here the NT gospel Preached by Peter in Acts 2 (on Pentecost) & Acts 10 at Cornelius house, by Paul Rom 10:9-10 & 1 Cor 15:1-4. Christ died for your sins & rose on the 3dr day.)

KJV Gal 1:8-9 warns those preaching & placing people under the OLD/RETIRED/OBSOLETE Mosaic law covenant: let him be accursed! Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The NT reveals that the law was not given for righteousness, but to reveal sin (Ro 3:20),
because righteousness has always been by faith (Gal 3:11-12), never by works. See Abraham (Ge 15:6, Ro 4:3).

Rom 5:

Rom 10:

Eph 2:

Tit 3:

Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
NT Justification by Faith
Rom 3:
21 (A) But now the righteousness of God has been clearly revealed [independently and completely] apart from the Law,

22 This righteousness of God comes through faith in Jesus Christ for all those [Jew or Gentile] who believe [and trust in Him and acknowledge Him as God’s Son]. There is no distinction,

24 and are being justified [declared free of the guilt of sin, made acceptable to God, and granted eternal life] as a gift by His [precious, undeserved] [c]grace, through the redemption [the payment for our sin] which is [provided] in Christ Jesus,

25 whom God displayed publicly [before the eyes of the world] as a [life-giving] [d]sacrifice of atonement and reconciliation (propitiation) by His blood [to be received] through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness [which demands punishment for sin], because in His forbearance [His deliberate restraint] He passed over the sins previously committed [before Jesus’ crucifixion]

26 It was to demonstrate His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the One who justifies those who have faith in Jesus [and rely confidently on Him as Savior].

27 Then what becomes of [our] boasting? It is excluded [entirely ruled out, banished]. On what principle? On [the principle of good] works? No, but on the principle of faith
I agree that we are justified by faith. In Romans 3:31, our faith does not abolish God's law, but rather our faith, yet your faith does not uphold it.

Faith Brings Righteousness
Gal 3:
3 Are you so foolish and senseless? Having begun [your new life by faith] with the Spirit, are you now being perfected and reaching spiritual maturity by the flesh [that is, by your own works and efforts to keep the Law]?

6 Just as Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness, [as conformity to God’s will and purpose—so it is with you also]

11 Now it is clear that no one is justified [that is, declared free of the guilt of sin and its penalty, and placed in right standing] before God by the Law, for “The righteous (the just, the upright) shall live by faith.”

12 But the Law does not rest on or require faith [it has nothing to do with faith], but [instead, the Law] says, “He who practices them [the things prescribed by the Law] shall live by them [instead of faith].”

13 Christ purchased our freedom and redeemed us from the curse of the Law and its condemnation by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs [crucified] on a tree (cross)”— 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might also come to the Gentiles, so that we would all receive [the realization of] the promise of the [Holy] Spirit through faith.

Intent of the Law

23 Now before faith came, we were kept in custody under the Law, [perpetually] imprisoned [in preparation] for the faith that was destined to be revealed,

25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under [the control and authority of] a tutor and disciplinarian.
This entire thread is about Galatians 3 and I wrote a detailed response, so please interact with what I said instead of just quoting Galatians 3 again.

Ministers of a New Covenant
2 Cor 3:
6 He has qualified us [making us sufficient] as ministers of a new covenant [of salvation through Christ], not of the letter [of a written code] but of the Spirit; for the letter [of the Law] kills [by revealing sin and demanding obedience], but the Spirit gives life.

7 Now if the ministry of death, engraved in letters on stones [the covenant of the Law which led to death because of sin], came with such glory and splendor that the Israelites were not able to look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, [a brilliance] that was fading,

8 how will the ministry of the Spirit [the new covenant which allows us to be Spirit-filled] fail to be even more glorious and splendid?

9 For if the ministry that brings condemnation [the old covenant, the Law] has glory, how much more does glory overflow in the ministry that brings righteousness [the new covenant which declares believers free of guilt and sets them apart for God’s special purpose]!
There are many verses like Deuteronomy 32:46-47, where God's law brings life, and many verses like Ezekiel 36:26-27, where the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey God's law, so if you don't seek to understand 2 Corinthians 3 in light of this context, then you are certain to misunderstand what Paul was saying.

A New Covenant - A Better Ministry

Heb 8:13 When God speaks of “A new covenant,” He makes the first one obsolete. And whatever is becoming obsolete (out of use, annulled) and growing old is ready to disappear.
In Hebrews 8:10, the New Covenant still involves following God's law, so while the Mosaic Covenant has become obsolete in Hebrews 8:13, God's eternal law did not become obsolete along with it.

The Old and the New
Heb 9:
12 He went once for all into the Holy Place [the Holy of Holies of heaven, into the presence of God], and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, having obtained and secured eternal redemption [that is, the salvation of all who personally believe in Him as Savior]

15 For this reason He is the Mediator and Negotiator of a new covenant [that is, an entirely new agreement uniting God and man], so that those who have been called [by God] may receive [the fulfillment of] the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has taken place [as the payment] which redeems them from the sins committed under the obsolete first covenant.

(MY NOTE: Every verse posted above is a direct copy & paste from the Amplified Bible. The old Mosaic law covenant is OBSOLETE & has neen REPLACED wait a NEW BETTER covenant!
The next 2 verses below (direct copy & paste from the AMP Bible). Show when & where the old Mosaic law covenant is is retired. 3 Day's later in RESURRECTION POWER the New Better Eternal covenant began.

In Hebrews 5:9, Jesus became a source of eternal salvation for those who obey Him, not for those who speak against obeying him. While we are under the New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, we are nevertheless still under the same God with the same nature and therefore the same law for how to act in accordance with His nature.

Matt 27:
50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud [agonized] voice, and gave up His spirit [voluntarily, sovereignly dismissing and releasing His spirit from His body in submission to His Father’s plan].

51 And [at once] the veil [of the Holy of Holies] of the temple was [l]torn in two from top to bottom; the earth shook and the rocks were split apart

Perversion of the Gospel
Gal 1:
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we [originally] preached to you, let him be condemned to destruction!

9 As we have said before, so I now say again, if anyone is preaching to you a gospel different from that which you received [from us], let him be condemned to destruction!

(MY NOTE: Here the NT gospel Preached by Peter in Acts 2 (on Pentecost) & Acts 10 at Cornelius house, by Paul Rom 10:9-10 & 1 Cor 15:1-4. Christ died for your sins & rose on the 3dr day.)

KJV Gal 1:8-9 warns those preaching & placing people under the OLD/RETIRED/OBSOLETE Mosaic law covenant: let him be accursed! Amen
In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and God's law is how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message. In Acts 2:38, when Peter told his audience to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sin, God's law was again how they knew what sin is. Likewise, in Romans 15:4, Paul said that OT Scripture was written for our instructions, and in 15:18-19, his Gospel involved bringing Gentiles to full obedience in word and in deed, so his Gospel was on the same page in regard to teaching repentance from our sin. Furthermore, Romans 10:16, 2 Thessalonians 1:8, and 1 Peter 4:17 all speak against those who do not obey the Gospel, so you should not try to act as if Galatians 1:8-9 is speaking against the Gospel that Jesus, Peter, and Paul taught.

In Romans 10:5-10, our faith references Deuteronomy 30:11-16 in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult to obey, that obedience to it brings life, in regard to what we are agreeing to obey by confessing that Jesus is Lord, and in regard to the way to believe that God rose Jesus from the dead. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is by becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law (Acts 21:20).

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 10 5-10 does not teach justification by keeping the Law.

Verse 6 begins with but...

It seems to me to be dishonest to use such a verse to justify salvation by Law.

The matter is presented as a contrast of two different covenants

It is the Word of Faith that is near - NOT the Law.

5 For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them. 6 But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 “or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Similarly 1 Cor 15 1-4 says nothing of keeping the Law.

Let's not add to His Word to support a human theology.

15 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures....

No mention of Law - not to be quoted to support as Law centred theology of faith.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Same applies to the reference to Acts 21.

There is a but in verse 25... Gentiles were taught by Paul NOT to adhere to the Law and the Jewish customs - that is the very reason why they wanted to kill him.

That is why he was encouraged to appear as a compliant Jew for his own protection.

These verses do not support a Law centred faith and should not be presented to support such.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

5 For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them. 6 But the righteousness based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ down) 7 “or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead). 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
It is not good to wantonly accuse people of being dishonest, so if you are going to accuse me of that, then you need to back it up. There is nothing dishonest about using Paul referencing Deuteronomy 30:11-16 in Romans 10:5-8 as the context for how we should understand Romans 10:9-10. In Deuteronomy 30:11-16, it is clearly speaking about God's law, so when Paul is referring to what is said in those verses as being the word of faith that we proclaim, then what grounds do you have for denying that he was referring to God's law? In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matter of God's law, so do you have faith in God to correctly divide between right and wrong through His law?

I have never claimed that salvation is the result of obeying God's law as if it is earned as a wage, but rather our salvation is from and sin is the transgression of God's law, so my claim is that living in obedience to God's law is intrinsically part of the concept of Jesus saving us from not living in obedience to it.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is not good to wantonly accuse people of being dishonest, so if you are going to accuse me of that, then you need to back it up. There is nothing dishonest about using Paul referencing Deuteronomy 30:11-16 in Romans 10:5-8 as the context for how we should understand Romans 10:9-10. In Deuteronomy 30:11-16, it is clearly speaking about God's law, so when Paul is referring to what is said in those verses as being the word of faith that we proclaim, then what grounds do you have for denying that he was referring to God's law? In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matter of God's law, so do you have faith in God to correctly divide between right and wrong through His law?

I have never claimed that salvation is the result of obeying God's law as if it is earned as a wage, but rather our salvation is from and sin is the transgression of God's law, so my claim is that living in obedience to God's law is intrinsically part of the concept of Jesus saving us from not living in obedience to it.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Jesus saved us from the wrath of God (Ro 5:9) and condemnation on the guilt of Adam's sin, with which we are born (Ro 5:18), by nature (with which we are born) objects of wrath (Eph 2:3).
Our law keeping has nothing to do with the condemnation and objects of wrath into which we are born, from which faith in Jesus Christ delivers us.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree that we are justified by faith. In Romans 3:31, our faith does not abolish God's law, but rather our faith, yet your faith does not uphold it.

This entire thread is about Galatians 3 and I wrote a detailed response, so please interact with what I said instead of just quoting Galatians 3 again.

There are many verses like Deuteronomy 32:46-47, where God's law brings life, and many verses like Ezekiel 36:26-27, where the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey God's law, so if you don't seek to understand 2 Corinthians 3 in light of this context, then you are certain to misunderstand what Paul was saying.

In Hebrews 8:10, the New Covenant still involves following God's law, so while the Mosaic Covenant has become obsolete in Hebrews 8:13, God's eternal law did not become obsolete along with it.

In Hebrews 5:9, Jesus became a source of eternal salvation for those who obey Him, not for those who speak against obeying him. While we are under the New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, we are nevertheless still under the same God with the same nature and therefore the same law for how to act in accordance with His nature.

In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and God's law is how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message. In Acts 2:38, when Peter told his audience to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sin, God's law was again how they knew what sin is. Likewise, in Romans 15:4, Paul said that OT Scripture was written for our instructions, and in 15:18-19, his Gospel involved bringing Gentiles to full obedience in word and in deed, so his Gospel was on the same page in regard to teaching repentance from our sin. Furthermore, Romans 10:16, 2 Thessalonians 1:8, and 1 Peter 4:17 all speak against those who do not obey the Gospel, so you should not try to act as if Galatians 1:8-9 is speaking against the Gospel that Jesus, Peter, and Paul taught.

In Romans 10:5-10, our faith references Deuteronomy 30:11-16 in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult to obey, that obedience to it brings life, in regard to what we are agreeing to obey by confessing that Jesus is Lord, and in regard to the way to believe that God rose Jesus from the dead. In Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is by becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to God's law (Acts 21:20).
Hello Soyeong,
Post #1 Cited scripture Gal 3:7-17 it teaches: Faith brings/accesses righteousness - NOT deeds of self-works...

Gal 3: The intent/purpose of the law & when it's mission ended! Post #1 Rom 3:21 also cites: Justification comes by Faith!

Neither post 1 (nor any I posted in this thread) claim: because Mosaic law righteous via self-works has been ended. That no laws exists.

Post #3, teaching (scripture provided) The Holy Spirit, Eternal Life, Righteousness & Grace. Are ALL "GIFTS" from God. A gift is given NOT earned!

Post #6 (all direct c&p from the AMP Bible translators) Cited: Rom 5 & 10, Gal 2:16, Eph 2:8-9 & Tit 3:15. All teach Righteousness comes by FAITH, NOT self-works!

Everyone of these post #6 verses (you argued against) are 100% direct copy & pastes from the Bible. And reiterate earlier posts teachings: NT Justification by Faith - Faith Brings Righteousness Find here: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

Post #10 then adds these: 1 Cor 3-9: Ministers of a New Covenant, Heb 8:13, 9:12 & 15: The Old <Past Tense & the New <Present Tense. Matt 27:51-52 cites when & where the Old (Mosaic righteousness by works (Rom 10:5) was replaced, by righteousness thru FAITH (Rom 10:6).

Many occasions in the past we had lengthy unfruitful exchanges. So, I placed you on ignore. I have no desire to publicly argue your faith/beliefs with you. Nor, do I see any reason to argue my faith/beliefs with you.

I believe people should be able to disagree without being disagreeable. Having said that, I regret reading any posts you directed to me in this thread. I find Christians that constantly bicker without end to be a bad reflection on them & the Lord.

Matt 10:14 Whoever does not welcome you, nor listen to your message, as you leave that house or city, [f]shake the dust [of it] off your feet [in contempt, breaking all ties].

I propose for the sake of unity we both adhere to the Matt1:14. I believe every Christian is called to share the Lord. I don't believe (based on the above) we are to make any one person our life's mission/work.

In the end we will all stand (ALONE) before the Lord & give an account. May His grace be multiplied to you & yours. JJ

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello Soyeong,
Post #1 Cited scripture Gal 3:7-17 it teaches: Faith brings/accesses righteousness - NOT deeds of self-works...
So when God gives instructions about the right way to live and someone obediently relies on what God instructed, then you do not have for considering their reliance on God to be self-works rather than faith.

Gal 3: The intent/purpose of the law & when it's mission ended! Post #1 Rom 3:21 also cites: Justification comes by Faith!
The goal of the law is to teach us how to know Jesus (Matthew 7:23) and this purpose has not been ended, but rather we still need to know him by obeying it. I keep agreeing that justification comes by faith, so it is not clear to me why you keep bringing that up.

Neither post 1 (nor any I posted in this thread) claim: because Mosaic law righteous via self-works has been ended. That no laws exists.
Mosaic Law righteousness via self-works has never been a thing, so it is not something that can be ended. Laws for how to act in accordance with God's righteousness will always exist because God's righteousness is eternal.

Post #3, teaching (scripture provided) The Holy Spirit, Eternal Life, Righteousness & Grace. Are ALL "GIFTS" from God. A gift is given NOT earned!
In Acts 5:32, the Spirit has been given to those who obey God. In Matthew 19:17, Jesus said that the way to inherit eternal life is by obeying God's commandments. In Romans 2:13, Paul said that only doers of the law will be declared righteous. In Psalms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law. All of these verses are are talking about the content of those gifts and say nothing about earning those gifts.

Post #6 (all direct c&p from the AMP Bible translators) Cited: Rom 5 & 10, Gal 2:16, Eph 2:8-9 & Tit 3:15. All teach Righteousness comes by FAITH, NOT self-works!
I keep agreeing that righteousness comes by faith and not by self-works, though all of those verses are in accordance with obeying God's law as I discussed.

Everyone of these post #6 verses (you argued against) are 100% direct copy & pastes from the Bible. And reiterate earlier posts teachings: NT Justification by Faith - Faith Brings Righteousness Find here: BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.
I did not argue against any of those verses, but discussed how I think that they should be understood.

Post #10 then adds these: 1 Cor 3-9: Ministers of a New Covenant, Heb 8:13, 9:12 & 15: The Old <Past Tense & the New <Present Tense. Matt 27:51-52 cites when & where the Old (Mosaic righteousness by works (Rom 10:5) was replaced, by righteousness thru FAITH (Rom 10:6).
Please interact with what I said about post #10 instead of just restating what you said.
Matt 10:14 Whoever does not welcome you, nor listen to your message, as you leave that house or city, [f]shake the dust [of it] off your feet [in contempt, breaking all ties].

I propose for the sake of unity we both adhere to the Matt1:14. I believe every Christian is called to share the Lord. I don't believe (based on the above) we are to make any one person our life's mission/work.
In Matthew 10, Jesus sent his disciples out to spread the Gospel of the Kingdom, which calls for repentance from our disobedience to God's law, so it is strange that you would try to apply that verse when you are in direct opposition to the mission that Jesus sent his disciples out to accomplish.

Many occasions in the past we had lengthy unfruitful exchanges. So, I placed you on ignore. I have no desire to publicly argue your faith/beliefs with you. Nor, do I see any reason to argue my faith/beliefs with you.

I believe people should be able to disagree without being disagreeable. Having said that, I regret reading any posts you directed to me in this thread. I find Christians that constantly bicker without end to be a bad reflection on them & the Lord.

In the end we will all stand (ALONE) before the Lord & give an account.
I don't consider what we are doing to be bickering, but if you don't want to talk to me because you consider our exchanges to be unfruitful, then that is your prerogative. I consider people speaking against what the Lord has commanded to be a poor reflection on them and the Lord.

May His grace be multiplied to you & yours. JJ
In Palms 119:29, David wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, so may God's also be gracious to you and yours.

Upvote 0