• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Galatians 6:17?

Discussion in 'Non-denominational' started by thedoc, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedoc

thedoc New Member

+0
    KJV
    Galatians 6:17  From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

Can someone please share their insight about what Paul means by "the marks of the Lord Jesus."

I looked up the word marks and it is translated from the Greek word "stigma". Does this have any significance? Would this in any way be related to stigmata?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Candidus

Candidus New Member

+0
  3. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran
    Most likely the word TA STIGMATA refers to the effects of his suffering as an apostle (2 Cor. 6:4-6; 11:25 ff.; Acts 16:23-24; etc.).

The "stigmata" today are not signs of suffering, but claimed to be "divine" signs of favor, set apratness, etc. - apart from any suffering.

4. Apologist

Apologist 2 Tim. 2:24-26

+11
    Christian
    Here is a quote from the Bible Knowledge Commentary:

6:17. Paul’s calling as an apostle and the message he preached had been challenged by the Judaizers. He asked for an end to such trouble, and he offered as a final proof to his critics the marks of Jesus on his body. These “marks” (stigmata) meant signs of ownership such as were branded on slaves and cattle. Paul referred to the scars on his body, which were caused by persecution for Christ’s sake (cf. 1 Cor. 4:11; 2 Cor. 4:10-11; 6:5, 9; 11:24-25), because they demonstrated he was a slave of Christ and not just a people-pleaser.
    Walvoord, John F., and Zuck, Roy B., The Bible Knowledge Commentary, (Wheaton, Illinois: Scripture Press Publications, Inc.) 1983, 1985.

Hope this helps.

God Bless

5. thedoc

thedoc New Member

+0
    Thanks for the link. It was very interesting. I agree that Paul was probably speaking of his sufferings and not "stigmata" as it is portrayed today. I just find it interesting that the Greek word stigma is only used once in the NT.

6. edjones

edjones Active Member

+0
    Paul contrasts the cowardly Judaizers, "lest they should suffer persecution" (vs. 12), with himself; "I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus." (2 Cor. 11:24-28)

2 Corinthians 11
    Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
    Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
    In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
    In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
    Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.