biblicalbro

Child of God
Aug 19, 2014
✟29,047.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

I see this verse used all the time by egalitarians yet it has nothing to do with women preaching. Rather it's about men/women equal in the context of salvation. I'm egalitarian by the way but just wanted to discuss about this.

Another thing I wanted to add is although complentarianism prevents women from preaching, she can still witness in evangelism. So in other words, she can preach to the lost but not preach to the sheep, unless it's a women's group. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

I see this verse used all the time by egalitarians yet it has nothing to do with women preaching. Rather it's about men/women equal in the context of salvation. I'm egalitarian by the way but just wanted to discuss about this.

Another thing I wanted to add is although complentarianism prevents women from preaching, she can still witness in evangelism. So in other words, she can preach to the lost but not preach to the sheep, unless it's a women's group. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Well color me stupid I guess but didn't Priscilla preach and evangelize?

Upvote 0

Haydee

Sep 29, 2018
QLD
✟14,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Galatians 3:28, the scripture you quoted, is referring to those mentioned all having the same salvation through Jesus Christ and there is no distinction between them. So yes, all equal in Christ.
Regarding complentariansism, I consider preaching to be the same as evangelism, what is the distinction between the two?

All throughout scripture there is evidence that women were authorised by Jesus Christ to preach the good news. Luke 10:39 points out Mary Magdalene sat at the foot of Jesus listening to him teach. This was traditionally for rabbinic students. John 20:16, Mary M calls Jesus Rabboni which means teacher when He was Risen. I think this is a strong indication she was His student.

Anna from Luke 2:36-38 was a Prophet. It says in Luke that Anna spoke of Him to all who were looking for the redemption and deliverance of Jerusalem. You can't get more teachy than that! :)

Women were supporting Jesus at the Cross and the first at the tomb. Luke 23:27-29, Matt 28:5

Luke 8:1-3 There were a number of women that supported Jesus' ministry. They were the financial backers so to speak. Luke mentions them by name - Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Chuza, the manager of Herod’s household; Susanna; and many others.

Jesus was actually very progressive and revolutionary when it came to breaking down the strongholds over women in the middle east. He opposed the unfair laws of the day when it came to women, and although it was a patriarchal society, He still treated them with love and respect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Here is a good blog post on the subject of that verse:

Galatians 3:28: Our Identity in Christ & in the Church | Marg Mowczko

I believe Galatians means more than just both men and women equally qualifying for salvation, but also how we as Christians are to live *in Christ*, so we need to define just what living in Christ means before deciding that the verse is merely salvational and has no other purpose or context.

I just don't get how in complementarianism, women can't preach but they can still evangelize.

It's because complementarianism is a human construct used to justify whatever humans want it to justify (gender discrimination, racism, slavery, etc.) and mix and match scripture in order to "prove" it is biblical. Since humans created the concept of complementarianism as applied to entire groups of people vs. individuals, they can define it however they want to suit their agendas, even if it changes from year to year.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about modern philosophies and such but ...

Yes, women were able to do a great deal. We call Mary Magdalene "Equal to the Apostles" and she in fact brought the news to them. Women could teach and preach. Jesus did raise the status of women to a level not seen before. And there were prophetesses too.

What you don't see is women being ordained to the presbytery - they were not priests or bishops, overseeing local Churches. They did have a particular role in ministering sacramentally to women, because baptism was done in the nude in the early Church. These were ordained deaconesses.

Historically, that's what we see. Women are given almost every role that men are given. Preaching is certainly recorded as one of their roles - even before public officials in open forum.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, the lack of early presbyteral and episcopal women is disputed. There is some early evidence which can be interpreted either way. My take on it is that ordination and orders developed over time; in the earliest phase, before they were yet "set in concrete," as it were, women and men both did all the things that would later be reserved to particular roles.

I certainly see myself, as an ordained woman, as standing in a line of women stretching all the way back to Phoebe, Junia, and other leaders in the very earliest church.

As for the text in Galatians, the OP's question reminds me of one of the catchcries of the movement for the ordination of women; "If you won't ordain us, don't baptise us." That all of the Christian life - including various orders of ministry - springs from our baptismal identity in Christ, and that it is hypocritical to treat us as equal in Christ at the font but not at the altar.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always hear that verse (and other similar verses) quoted to me on a very different (but perhaps historically related) subject: the difference between Jewish and Gentile New covenant believers. They always say “NO DIFFERENCE.”

On Jew and Gentile they insist no difference but insist on a difference with male and female. Odd how some people think.

Those verses said there may be different ways of walking out Faith; but the same opportunities and benefits are for all. All of the 13 Apostles were Jewish, so should all Christian leaders be required to be Jews?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I always hear that verse (and other similar verses) quoted to me on a very different (but perhaps historically related) subject: the difference between Jewish and Gentile New covenant believers. They always say “NO DIFFERENCE.”

On Jew and Gentile they insist no difference but insist on a difference with male and female. Odd how some people think.

Those verses said there may be different ways of walking out Faith; but the same opportunities and benefits are for all. All of the 13 Apostles were Jewish, so should all Christian leaders be required to be Jews?
But in the passages that speak of ordination, they never mention ordaining only Jews. And they did ordain Gentiles.

However, I am not wishing to debate the issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But in the passages that speak of ordination, they never mention ordaining only Jews. And they did ordain Gentiles.
Correct. And that was my point.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

This is a really GOOD point.

I've never heard a satisfactory answer as to why all Christian leaders shouldn't be Jews based on the argument about the apostles being men. I would be willing to bet none of them were Chinese either, but we don't have people opposed to ordaining Chinese Christians.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Rather it's about men/women equal in the context of salvation. I'm egalitarian by the way but just wanted to discuss about this.
There is a Jewish prayer thanking God that one was not created as a Gentile, woman or slave.

I see it more as Paul saying that social status distinctions are meaningless in Christ. James writes about that as well, although talks more about wealth than these issues.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This popped up on my FB today and said some very important things, I think, related to this issue:

https://www.missioalliance.org/i-do...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Interesting article. Good points.

I have long been critical of US evangelicalism over the issue of “salvation” being defined ONLY as going to heaven in the end. Both sides of the Calvin/Arminius aisle seem to make the same mistake. It leaves the hyper Calvinist side saying there is no need of discipleship or sanctification because once you are in, that is it. While the hyper Arminianism side is constantly striving just to be and stay saved.

What ever happened to just living as a believer, being changed into HIS image and becoming a living witness of Him and his Kingdom to those around us?

And I especially liked the point about God’s feminine aspects being needed by a lot of people, both male and female. So true. (A part of His image that many men chafe at)
NEWS FLASH: God is not Rambo.

On the various OT descriptions of God; while being portrayed as “Father,” almost every one of His attributes are feminine and/or motherly. If it were important enough to list out so many times back when, it has to be important to us as well.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a Jewish prayer thanking God that one was not created as a Gentile, woman or slave.
True. It is part of the morning weekday prayers.

The reason: Adult male Jews have so many more religious obligations than the others. Women are exempt from all time-dependent obligations; gentiles and slaves have no religious obligations at all. There is an attitude from the Talmud that doing a religious act out of obligation was much more meritorious than doing it out of one’s own desire.

The reasons for the exemption of Jewish women from time-dependent obligations were cultural and not found in the OT. The obligation of wearing the ritual tassels was considered a morning thing and thus women were exempt. Prayers at sunrise and sunset were often not compatible with raising children or keeping a home; thus women were exempt. Etc.

Upvote 0