Georgia
✟908,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 4 and 6 - summary for obedience as saints - yet not under the condemnation of the LAW

The term "under the LAW" in Gal 4 -- in its most favorable light - means under the obligation of the ceremonial law apart from faith. But in general Paul uses the term with respect to condemnation under the moral of God without the Gospel benefit of salvation.

The end of Galatians 4 is not about condemning the Word of God in the OT - it is the use of an allegory to demonstrate that the LAW of God is not a second-gospel a competing-gospel and never was. Period.

Gal 4
21 Tell me, you who want to be under law, do you not listen to the law?

<Paul is not saying "tell me you want want to affirm scripture - the Word of God -- how dare you not condemn scripture" > Rather Paul is addressing those who want to use the Law as a gospel.

In this case Paul is defeating the Christian Judaizer's argument which claims the gentiles as second class citizens since they have paganism as their heritage (things which by nature are not gods at all - Gal 4) while Jewish Christians had the one true God, the true Bible, the true worship service from Sinai.

Gal 4
22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondwoman and one by the free woman. 23 But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise. 24 This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar. 25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother. 27 For it is written,

“Rejoice, barren woman who does not bear;
Break forth and shout, you who are not in labor;
For more numerous are the children of the desolate
Than of the one who has a husband.”

NOTE: "Jerusalem above" was there in both OT and NT times. This is not a condemnation of the OT text of scripture. In fact it is in the OT that we find the NEW Covenant "I will write My LAWS on their heart and mind" Jer 31:31-33 - what is more "for it is written" is a reference to the still-authoritative OT text - as scripture.

Gentiles as Israel -

Gal 4
28 And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now also. 30 But what does the Scripture say?

“Cast out the bondwoman and her son,
For the son of the bondwoman shall not be an heir with the son of the free woman.”

31 So then, brethren, we are not children of a bondwoman, but of the free woman.

NOTE: "Him who is born of the Spirit" is the same pre-cross teaching we see from Christ in John 3 - speaking to Nicodemus. Far from being a condemnation of pre-cross teaching - it affirms it.

================================
Rom 9
30 What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith; 31 but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness. 32 Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone.

1 John 3:4 - "SIN IS transgression of the LAW" both in OT and also by NT standards

So then in Rom 6 Paul speaks about the obligation not to SIN - even though not "under the law" -- not under the condemnation of the LAW.

Rom 6
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? 17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered

1 john 2:1 "these things I write to you that you sin NOT"

The Covenant at Sinai with Israel included
"Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18

And 40 years later Moses reminds them --
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5

Christ continues to affirm them in Matt 22 , pre-cross - the Law of Moses upheld.

So then why is Paul associating Sinai with the old covenant in Gal 4?

Because the ceremonial law is no longer in effect.

1 Cor 7:19 "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" as compared to the ceremonial laws such as circumcision - as we see in this example from 1Cor 7:19

notice how Christ upholds what "Moses said" in Mark 7 calling it "The WORD of GOD"

Mark 7

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

John 14:15 "IF you Love Me - KEEP My Commandments"

"Love ME and KEEP My Commandments" Ex 20:6 -- from the TEN Commandments.

No wonder NT authors affirm the TEN Commandments as part of the moral law of God for the saints even in the NT as we see here
14 minutes ago #1

Heb 8:6-10 Christ's New Covenant and His TEN Commandments at Sinai
6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.

A New Covenant
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. 8 For finding fault with them, He says,

“Behold, days are coming, says the Lord,
When I will effect a New Covenant
With the house of Israel and with the house of Judah;
9 Not like the covenant which I made with their fathers
On the day when I took them by the hand
To lead them out of the land of Egypt;
For they did not continue in My covenant,
And I did not care for them, says the Lord.
10 “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
After those days, says the Lord:
I will put My laws into their minds,
And I will write them on their hearts.
And I will be their God,
And they shall be My people.

So then - when you read that post carefully don't miss...

In this case Paul is defeating the Christian Judaizer's argument which claims the gentiles as second class citizens since they have paganism as their heritage (things which by nature are not gods at all - Gal 4) while Jewish Christians had the one true God, the true Bible, the true worship service from Sinai.

Gal 4
22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondwoman and one by the free woman. 23 But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise. 24 This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar. 25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother. 27 For it is written,

NOTE: "Jerusalem above" was there in both OT and NT times. This is not a condemnation of the OT text of scripture. In fact it is in the OT that we find the NEW Covenant "I will write My LAWS on their heart and mind" Jer 31:31-33 - what is more "for it is written" is a reference to the still-authoritative OT text - as scripture.

Gentiles as Israel -

Gal 4
28 And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 But as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so it is now also. 30 But what does the Scripture say?

For the son of the bondwoman shall not be an heir with the son of the free woman.”

31 So then, brethren, we are not children of a bondwoman, but of the free woman.

NOTE: "Him who is born of the Spirit" is the same pre-cross teaching we see from Christ in John 3 - speaking to Nicodemus. Far from being a condemnation of pre-cross teaching - it affirms it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So who here is not accepting this passage? The pro law people or the pro grace people? Is Deuteronomy part of the law?That is correct. Is the law the Gospel? NOPE!!!!!!!!What are you trying to say here with John 3?The pro grace people do not seek righteousness by the law (self righteousness by which no one can b e saved).

1 John 3:4 - "SIN IS transgression of the LAW" both in OT and also by NT standards ---- A half truth is a full lie.

I need to ask you what the commandments are more important than? The blood of Jesus for instance.

I find your logic "illusive"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why?

bugkiller

you said --

I need to ask you what the commandments are more important than? The blood of Jesus for instance

But I say -- there is some actual substance to be found on this thread.

for example --

Gal 4

Gentiles as Israel -

Gal 4

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Galatians 4 and 6 - summary for obedience as saints - yet not under the condemnation of the LAW
What then is the law? a mere suggestion? hardly because you think it is required for salvation. If not required for salvation, why bother with it? is it because one is unrighteous if they do not keep the law? That is righteousness by works of the law. The unrighteous are not saved (Christian). Read what Jesus says in Jn 10. I do not need Paul to prove my points.
We did not miss it.
Paul is not talking to pagans in Gal 4. Pagans would not care about covenants of the Jews.
Gal 4
Jerusalem what? ABOVE.

This is not the covenant issued to Israel at Sinai. You still refuse to acknowledge v 32 even though you include it in your reference. Why?
Gentiles as Israel -

Gal 4

And what does the bondwoman represent in this narrative?

Jesus says nothing about the law in His conversation with Nicodemus.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
you said --

I need to ask you what the commandments are more important than? The blood of Jesus for instance

But I say -- there is some actual substance to be found on this thread.
OH I am sorry, I thought the blood of Jesus was plenty substance.

bugkiller

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
bugkiller

Is this thread about how many sins are covered by the blood of Jesus? An interesting topic indeed - but this thread is about Gal 4 and Romans 6 affirming God and His Law, speaking against sin and rebellion... showing how obedience to God and the Gospel fit and in hand for the born-again saints.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,093,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
According to Deuteronomy 4:2, is it a sin to add to or subtract from God's law, so if you try to subtract the ceremonial laws, then you are sinning. Furthermore, according to Deuteronomy 13:4-6, anyone who says not to obey any of God's laws, which includes ceremonial laws, is a false prophet. On top of that, according to 1 Peter 1:14-16, we are told to have a holy conduct, which inherently refers to ceremonial laws.

Romans 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Paul spoke about the law of God (Romans 3:31), the law of sin (Romans 7:23-25), the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2), the law of the Spirit of life (Romans 8:2), the law of faith (Romans 3:27), the law of righteousness (Romans 9:31), and the law of Christ (1 Corinthians 9:21), so in order to correctly understand what law we are not under in Romans 6:14, we need to know which law he was talking about. There is something about the law that we are not under which relates to sin having no dominion over us, so it is straightforward that the law that we are not under is the law of sin, which is the opposite of the law of God. If Paul had been meaning that we are not under the law of God because we are not under sin, then he would have been equating the law of God with sin, but he made it clear that the law of God was not sin (Romans 7:7), and as you already quoted, sin is in fact the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4).

Romans 6:8-9 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 We know that Christ, being raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has dominion over him.

Faith in Messiah frees us from bondage to sin and allows us to overcome death, so we are no longer under the law of sin and death, but under grace. Strong's defines "grace" as "the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life" so it is by God's grace through faith that we are able to obey His will, which is instructed in His law.

1 John 2:4-6 Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, 5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: 6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

These verses associate keeping Messiah's commands with walking as he walked, he it walked in perfect obedience to the law. Messiah didn't preach one thing and live differently, but rather he practiced what he preached and preached what he practiced. The Father, Son, and Spirit are not in disagreement with each other, so the law of Messiah is the same as the law of the Spirit, which is the same as the law of God, which He gave to Moses.

WOW!

This an extremely articulate, and informative post. Glory to YHWH!

I'm saving it to my hard drive for future reference.

• Friendly
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
but this thread is about Gal 4

Do you mean where Paul compared the Sinai Covenant to "bondage" and compelled the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage"?

I thought you were trying to ignore that passage...

Gal 4:21  Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? 

Gal 4:22  For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. 

Gal 4:23  But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. 

Gal 4:24  Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. 

Gal 4:25  For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. 

Gal 4:26  But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. 

Gal 4:27  For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. 

Gal 4:28  Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. 

Gal 4:29  But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. 

Gal 4:30  Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. 

Gal 4:31  So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free. 

We find in Hebrews 12:18-24 that we are not come to the mountain that burns with fire, but instead to the heavenly city and the New Covenant of Christ.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Get the Temple rebuilt so that Christians and Jews can be in compliance. Gather all the Levites that have not mixed so much that the blood line has been lost (good luck on that one). Stop cutting the sideburns and be sure to wear hand embroidered Kippah Bucharian Yarmulkes and don't forget the four Tzitzits (tassels for those who don't recognize tzitzit). Trade all the suits for robes and some need to start farming, so that the Levites have something to eat. Tithe is never paid in shekels. Actually, Christians need to go through all 613 rules because all pertain to the Israelites and have to be honored in order to, as it is explained, "walk as Jesus walked".

The above may seem like I am trying to be funny, but actually folks are on the forum telling the rest of us we have to comply to Torah. The above is just a small amount of things we would have to recognize as being parts of the law. We would have to be compliant with all of the ceremonial laws as stated if some are correct and it would really change the way Christians live around the World. After all Israel was a totalitarian nation governed by kings and the Levites. We should do less?

The other way to look at Jesus and what He has done for Israel is to recognize that He really did fulfill all of Torah and that fulfill means completed, brought to an end, accomplished or any other term that explains that we are not under Torah just as Paul wrote in Gal3.. Oh you foolish Galatians........ and Eph2:14 For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15 by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16 and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17 He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

Then there is my favorite paragraph found in 1Jn 3:19-24 where Jn tells us: This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

Praise Jesus for fulfilling the 613 laws so that Christians can receive the Holy Spirit, live according to the truly greatest command to believe and love our fellow man as Jesus loves us
. Oh how beautiful real Christianity is or should be.

• Winner
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
bugkiller

Is this thread about how many sins are covered by the blood of Jesus? An interesting topic indeed - but this thread is about Gal 4 and Romans 6 affirming God and His Law, speaking against sin and rebellion... showing how obedience to God and the Gospel fit and in hand for the born-again saints.

Do you mean where Paul compared the Sinai Covenant to "bondage" and compelled the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage"?

I thought you were trying to ignore that passage...

If you think that in Gal 4 Paul says that "not taking God's name in vain (Ex 20:7) would be bondage and evil" you have not read Gal 4 carefully.

If you think that in Gal 4 Paul says that "Loving God with all your heart (Deut 6:5) would be bondage and evil" you have not read Gal 4 carefully.

If you think that in Gal 4 Paul says that "Loving your neighbor as yourself (Lev 19:18) would be bondage and evil" you have not read Gal 4 carefully.

If you think that in Gal 4 Paul says that "Honoring your parents (Ex 20:12) would be bondage and evil" you have not read Gal 4 carefully.

If you think that in Gal 4 Paul says that "not committing adultery (Ex 20) would be bondage and evil" you have not read Gal 4 carefully.

And we all know it.

Later in Gal 4 - Paul deals with the fake-doctrine invented in the NT by some Christians - that gentiles would need to be circumcised to be saved.

Gal 4:21  Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? 
Gal 4:22  For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. 
Gal 4:23  But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. 
The "promise" in this case being that of Hebrews 8:6-10 - the New Covenant where as Jeremiah says God writes His "LAW on the heart and mind" -- the LAW known to Jeremiah and his readers.

It is the ONE Gospel - of Gal 1:6-9 that Paul says was "preached to Abraham" in Gal 3:8

(hopefully you will give me a lot of opportunity to repeat this irrefutable detail"

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,093,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Get the Temple rebuilt so that Christians and Jews can be in compliance.
Yahweh is working on that, through Yahshua. Since the Temple is under construction; in the mean time I'll do my best to adhere to Yahweh's instruction for the Tabernacle period; as Moses and David did.

Do you have a better understanding of how I can be more obedient to Yahweh, as Yahshua is; so that I can walk more closely to Yahshua's walk?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yahweh is working on that, through Yahshua. Since the Temple is under construction; in the mean time I'll do my best to adhere to Yahweh's instruction for the Tabernacle period; as Moses and David did.

Do you have a better understanding of how I can be more obedient to Yahweh, as Yahshua is; so that I can walk more closely to Yahshua's walk?
Did you not read all my post? I gave to you, and anyone willing to reason, the way Christians please God.

Just where is the Temple being built? And if it is in the new Israel how would that do you any good? Where are the Levites coming from? How are you going to get your sacrifice to the Temple? Israel was a small totalitarian nation. Now Jews are spread all over the World. I think all the hopefuls are in for an awakening. All those who believe we need to go back under the law are denying what Jesus did on the Cross.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,093,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Then there is my favorite paragraph

I imagine so.

found in 1Jn 3:19-24 where Jn tells us: This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

because we keep his commands (plural)

and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command (singular)

: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands (plural)

lives in him, and he in them.

The first part of the chapter makes it sound more like we have to be obedient to the law.

4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
how I can be more obedient to Yahweh, as Yahshua is; so that I can walk more closely to Yahshua's walk?
(only post I've seen of yours; and only this I'm replying to).
Since most people never read the Bible,
and most of those who do don't understand it,
and some of those who understand it might not DO as YAHWEH SAYS,
and few ever find the road to LIFE (YAHSHUA),
therefore not only seek YAHWEH's Kingdom, for His Kingdom is here at hand,
and see what YAHSHUA tells everyone who wants to be His disciple ,
what they have to do ..... to even be considered His disciple (so to speak)....
not only be a HEARER, but be a DOER as well, who is justified by YAHWEH's WORD,
as HE SAYS. It is Written. (pm for clarity if needed)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums