bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
What a Waste

Gal 4:11
I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you.

Likewise, in view of their behavior, Paul exhorted the Corinthians, "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you— unless, of course, you fail the test?" 2Cor 13:5 In view of their religious zeal with regards to ceremonial matters, Paul had doubts as to whether these Galatians were genuinely of the faith. So, much as the circumcision was trying to scare the Galatians into legalism, Paul was trying to scare them back into the concept of grace. Funny as it may seem, but their religious zeal may very well be their undoing. Such was the case with the Scribes and Pharisees. They were religously zealous. But their religious zeal would not save them on the judgment day.

Likewise if you're discipling someone, it is not a good sign if they get all religiously zealous over ceremonial matters or over the legalistic practice of the "faith".

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What a Waste

Likewise, in view of their behavior, Paul exhorted the Corinthians, "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you— unless, of course, you fail the test?" 2Cor 13:5 In view of their religious zeal with regards to ceremonial matters, Paul had doubts as to whether these Galatians were genuinely of the faith. So, much as the circumcision was trying to scare the Galatians into legalism, Paul was trying to scare them back into the concept of grace. Funny as it may seem, but their religious zeal may very well be their undoing. Such was the case with the Scribes and Pharisees. They were religously zealous. But their religious zeal would not save them on the judgment day.

Likewise if you're discipling someone, it is not a good sign if they get all religiously zealous over ceremonial matters or over the legalistic practice of the "faith".

I believe you're right, but I do want to say that if one become "religiously zealous" but they faith in Jesus then their zeal is between them and God.

If someone has ONLY religious zeal and not faith,,,then the zeal counts for nothing.

Isn't this the meaning of Ephesians 2:8-9?

Isn't this what THE LAW means?
It has not been abolished...
but it does not save either.

Faith without works is dead...
[Works without faith are dead....]
(James 2)

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I followed superapostles half my life.

Superapostles don't allow individual maturing in God-given discretion, wide and deep Scripture knowledge, equal collaboration, and sacrificial interceding because it conflicts with their way of awarding and receiving brownie points (which some movements then additionally cloak in their brand of apparent "evangelising").

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
GG and BCB, indeed the law - and the worship of God - is to not stunt our fellow adopted widows & orphans in Father's firm.

Grace abounding = ascending, He distributed gifts = Holy Spirit power for caring that our brother will gain his own crown in turn

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What a Waste

I wouldn't say Paul was trying to "scare" them into anything ... he was correcting their error(s) in regard to them "holding on to or reverting back to" the Mosaic Law ... (that being works and being justified through it) whereas the reality is being justification by faith in Jesus.

When the Galatians fell away so quickly from the gospel of grace Paul had preached to them, they also made clear their disloyalty to Paul’s authority as an apostle. Therefore, Paul began the letter to the Galatians by spending two chapters defending that very issue. Only in chapter 3 did he begin to get to the heart of their error; namely, that these Galatians sought to be justified by the Mosaic Law. In contrast, Paul presented his argument that justification comes to people by faith in Jesus Christ, not by their works under the Law.

Upvote 0