bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian
The Purpose of the Law: Part 1

Gal 3:19,20
What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator. A mediator, however, does not represent just one party; but God is one.

So the covenant of law did not replace the covenant of grace, but rather was an addition. It was added to make us aware of our sin. For "through the law we become conscious of sin." Rom 3:20

Moses was the mediator of the Old Covenant while Christ was the mediator of the new. "For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" 1Tim 2:5 "The ministry Jesus has received is as superior to (the Levitical line of priests) as the covenant of which he is mediator is superior to the old one, and it is founded on better promises." Heb 8:6 The New Covenant is founded upon promises given to Abraham which are superior to promises given in the law, as those in the law are performance-based instead of faith-based.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟37,027.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The New Covenant is founded upon promises given to Abraham which are superior to promises given in the law, as those in the law are performance-based instead of faith-based.
The covenant with Israel, mediated by Moses, is also based on promises given to Abraham. What we call a New covenant is based on further promises given to David.
Isaiah 55:3. Give ear and come to me; listen, that you may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.
Acts 13:34. But regarding the fact that he has raised Jesus from the dead, never again to be in a state of decay, God has spoken in this way: 'I will give you the holy and trustworthy promises made to David.' (NET).
Luke 1:69. And has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of His servant David.
Isaiah 16:5. In mercy the throne will be established;
And One will sit on it in truth, in the tabernacle of David,
Judging and seeking justice and hastening righteousness.
Acts 15:16. After this I will return
And will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down;
I will rebuild its ruins,
And I will set it up.

Upvote 0