newburgh
✟115,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many of us who have turned to God, sort of wish that others would do and act as we do, down to the very last detail. After all, if we believe in God through Lord Jesus, are we not acting in pursuit of righteousness? And did Jesus not say to his disciples to go out and make disciples in the name of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit? Would we not then be pursuing believers in the name of the Trinity in varying ways?

On one end of the spectrum are the missionaries who go out to convert non-believers, and on the other end are those who have a concept of decency and morality that they use to judge others and perhaps to try to change them. But the older people get, the less likely they will change just because you want them to. It is necessary to give them a reason that suits their purposes and their way of life. The missionaries that have been successful in converting others so it lasts, are those who get to know the people they want to convert and who become part of those people’s lives on a day to day basis, including learning their language and customs.

Many of the rest of us have a tendency to make hasty judgements about others on the basis of what little is known of them. As such, it is the negative things of people we don’t know too well that stand out for us, and those things determine the manner in which we deal with them. The things we may excuse members of our family, or close friends, of doing are the very things that if others did, we would immediately call the cops instead of first looking for an understanding.

Many of us have a tendency of judging and trying to change others on a wholesale basis, without getting some understanding of the particulars. Our zealousness in imposing some change, then, may become premature, or may form out of ignorance. As a soldier, then, would not leap into an enemy foxhole without at least a gun, we should not move forward with force unless we know we have a sound basis for it being the right thing to do.

The Bible implores us to gain wisdom and understanding, and to do so through the fear of the Lord. Without having an understanding, our zealousness can be perceived as having anger with no basis, and as a result we can look ridiculous. Proverbs 14:29 says, “Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly.” Who would abide by such a person other than someone who feels they don’t have another choice? And if that person sees another way, their loyalty to the other person will quickly vanish.

In all we do, we should do so out of love, because God is love. 1 Corinthians 13:2 says, “And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.” Doesn’t leave that person with much, does it?

There is nothing wrong with being zealous if we have a basis for it. 2 Kings 10:15-17 tells of Jehu who wants to annihilate a remnant of the people of Ahab who, is the Bible tells us, did evil in the sight of the Lord. So, Kings 10:15-17 says the following: “[Jehu] met Jehonadab the son of Rechab coming to meet him. And he greeted him and said to him, ‘Is your heart true to my heart as mine is to yours?’ And Jehonadab answered, ‘It is.’ Jehu said, ‘If it is, give me your hand.’ So he gave him his hand. And Jehu took him up with him into the chariot. And he said, ‘Come with me, and see my zeal for the LORD.’ So he had him ride in his chariot. And when he came to Samaria, he struck down all who remained to Ahab in Samaria, till he had wiped them out, according to the word of the LORD that he spoke to Elijah.” It is evident from reading this passage that Jehu’s zeal in wiping out those who followed Ahab was justified.

Would there be a similar justification in imposing on others your way to worship God and do right in His Eyes, when they have their own way of doing so which you may have no basis under God to dispute?

• Agree
Reactions: AvisG

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"The Disciples Rejoin Jesus
27 Just then his disciples returned and were surprised to find him talking with a woman. But no one asked, “What do you want?” or “Why are you talking with her?”

28 Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, 29 “Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Messiah?” 30 They came out of the town and made their way toward him.

31 Meanwhile his disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat something.”

32 But he said to them, “I have food to eat that you know nothing about.”

33 Then his disciples said to each other, “Could someone have brought him food?”

34 “My food,” said Jesus, “is to do the will of him who sent me "

===================================
Who won over the towns folk? The trained disciples, or the woman ?
==================================
"Many Samaritans Believe

39 Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. 41 And because of his words many more became believers.

42 They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.”"

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not everything is as cut and dried as one would like.

2 Kings 10:29-31
However Jehu did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who had made Israel sin, that is, from the golden calves that were at Bethel and Dan. And the Lord said to Jehu, “Because you have done well in doing what is right in My sight, and have done to the house of Ahab all that was in My heart, your sons shall sit on the throne of Israel to the fourth generation.” But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the Lord God of Israel with all his heart; for he did not depart from the sins of Jeroboam, who had made Israel sin.

Hosea 1:4
And the Lord said to him, “Call his name Jezreel, for in just a little while I will punish the house of Jehu for the blood of Jezreel, and I will put an end to the kingdom of the house of Israel.

Upvote 0