Gabriel, in Daniel 8, in Daniel 9, what vision, what transgression in Daniel 9:23-24?

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is critical to understand, because it means the 70 shmitahs of Daniel 9 are not yet complete.

In Daniel 8, within the overall vision that Daniel 8, is a specific vision of the 2300 days of the little horn's transgression of desolation, which Gabriel - himself with in the overall vision - stated was for the time of the end.

In Daniel 9, Gabriel appears to Daniel, but not within a vision like in Daniel 8. Gabriel gives Daniel straight talk in 9:24 regarding 70 shmitahs fortcoming.

It is generally agreed by all here in principle of the events leading up to the messiah cutoff in Daniel 9:26, which we all know to be Jesus. It is the confirming of the covenant for 7 years, what covenant by who, and if those 7 years are history, partially or fully, and if the entire 7 years are left - is where the disagreements are.

So lets look at Daniel 9:21-23...

21 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.

23 At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.

Daniel in Daniel 9 does not have a vision -like in Daniel 7 and Daniel 8, said to be visions in the text and contains elements of metaphoric symbolism, like beasts, horns, he-goats, rams, leopard, bears, lion, etc.

So no vision in Daniel 9.

"Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning" in verse 21. The only vision that Daniel saw Gabriel "in" was in Daniel 8. "at the beginning" is just another way of saying when Daniel first saw Daniel, i.e. in the vision in Daniel 8.

So it is that vision, in Daniel 8. So what part of the vision is specific to the 70 shmitahs (weeks)?

Let's look at Daniel 9:24.

24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

The transgression associated with the vision of the little horn is transgression of desolation by the little horn time of the end. That event spans elements over the course of 2300 days. Nearly 2520 days of a 7 year period.

The 2300 day vision and prophecy dealing with the little horn's transgression of desolation, time of the end.

From that we can know that he 70th shmitah is still unfulfilled. And completion of the 70th shmitah is still ahead. To be completed the day that Jesus Returns.

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is critical to understand, because it means the 70 shmitahs of Daniel 9 are not yet complete.

In Daniel 8, within the overall vision that Daniel 8, is a specific vision of the 2300 days of the little horn's transgression of desolation, which Gabriel - himself with in the overall vision - stated was for the time of the end.

In Daniel 9, Gabriel appears to Daniel, but not within a vision like in Daniel 8. Gabriel gives Daniel straight talk in 9:24 regarding 70 shmitahs fortcoming.

It is generally agreed by all here in principle of the events leading up to the messiah cutoff in Daniel 9:26, which we all know to be Jesus. It is the confirming of the covenant for 7 years, what covenant by who, and if those 7 years are history, partially or fully, and if the entire 7 years are left - is where the disagreements are.

So lets look at Daniel 9:21-23...

21 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.

22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.

23 At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.

Daniel in Daniel 9 does not have a vision -like in Daniel 7 and Daniel 8, said to be visions in the text and contains elements of metaphoric symbolism, like beasts, horns, he-goats, rams, leopard, bears, lion, etc.

So no vision in Daniel 9.

"Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning" in verse 21. The only vision that Daniel saw Gabriel "in" was in Daniel 8. "at the beginning" is just another way of saying when Daniel first saw Daniel, i.e. in the vision in Daniel 8.

So it is that vision, in Daniel 8. So what part of the vision is specific to the 70 shmitahs (weeks)?

Let's look at Daniel 9:24.

24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

The transgression associated with the vision of the little horn is transgression of desolation by the little horn time of the end. That event spans elements over the course of 2300 days. Nearly 2520 days of a 7 year period.

The 2300 day vision and prophecy dealing with the little horn's transgression of desolation, time of the end.

From that we can know that he 70th shmitah is still unfulfilled. And completion of the 70th shmitah is still ahead. To be completed the day that Jesus Returns.

There is not one recognized Bible scholar on the planet, past or present, who believed that Daniel 9:23 refers to anything other than what appears next in Daniel 9:24-27; and not to what appears in Daniel 8.

Not one.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There is not one recognized Bible scholar on the planet, past or present, who believed that Daniel 9:23 refers to anything other than what appears next in Daniel 9:24-27; and not to what appears in Daniel 8.

Not one.
Even though I don't think you really know. I tend to agree that most do not. Also most don't understand the concept of the Antichrist. Nor understand that the confirming of the covenant for 7 years was a requirement that Moses made for the Mt. Sinai covenant.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even though I don't think you really know. I tend to agree that most do not. Also most don't understand the concept of the Antichrist. Nor understand that the confirming of the covenant for 7 years was a requirement that Moses made for the Mt. Sinai covenant.

Not one.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you telling me the understanding of the end times prophecies have been sealed from understanding until our day ?

Every recognized defender of the true faith in the history of the Church is telling you that Daniel 9:23 refers to Daniel 9:24-27.

• Agree
Reactions: Spiritual Jew
Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Every recognized defender of the true faith in the history of the Church is telling you that Daniel 9:23 refers to Daniel 9:24-27.
You are speaking in broad terms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Adam Maarschalk has done extensive work on Daniel, Revelation, and the time of the end.

I agree with him (and all the other partial-preterists) that 70 AD was the time of the end written about and prophesied of.
From Adam Maarschalk's paper:
Josephus declared that if there had not been many credible witnesses of this event he would not have recorded it because “such a shocking violation, never having been perpetuated by any Greek or barbarian, the insertion of it might have diminished the credibility of his history.” Yet these things fulfilled what was spoken by Moses at the end of giving the Law to the people, when he stated what would happen if they forsook the path of obedience:

The man who is the most tender and refined among you willbegrudge food to his brother, to the wife he embraces,and to the last of the children whom he has left, so that he will not give to any of them any of the flesh of his children whom he is eating, because he has nothing else left,in the siege and in the distress with which your enemy shall distress you in all your towns. The most tender and refined woman among you, who would not venture to set the sole of her foot on the ground because she is so delicate and tender, will begrudge to the husband she embraces, to her son and to her daughter, her afterbirth that comes out from between her feet and her children whom she bears, because lacking everything she will eat them secretly, in the siege and in the distress with which your enemy shall distress you in your towns (Deut. 28:54-57). ~ PP18: The Historical Events Leading Up to 70 AD (Part 2)

Deuteronomy 28
62You who were as numerous as the stars in the sky will be left few in number, because you would not obey the voice of the LORD your God.

63Just as it pleased the LORD to make you prosper and multiply, so also it will please Him to annihilate you and destroy you.
And you will be uprooted from the land you are entering to possess.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes.....and Daniel was given that timeline of 490 years in Daniel 9. The disciples & Jesus stated they were in "the last days"; "the final hour".

Daniel 12:4 |
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.​

Daniel 12:9 |
And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.​

.......and John was instructed that it was time to reveal the words:

Revelation 1:1 ~ This is the revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon come to pass. He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John

Revelation 1:13
and among the lampstands was One like the Son of Man,(f - see Daniel 7:13) dressed in a long robe, with a golden sash around His chest.

• Winner
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree with everything stated on this illustration....but maybe you'll appreciate his effort:

Screenshot_20201022-121900_Photos.jpg

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't agree with everything stated on this illustration....but maybe you'll appreciate his effort:

View attachment 287055
He writes seal up vision and prophecy.

He is not recognizing it is "the" vision. Daniel did not have a vision in Daniel 9. The vision he had that involved Gabriel was recorded in Daniel 8.

What is the difference between TV and radio ?

One has a picture - vision. The other has sounds only, like someone talking, music, words.

In Daniel 9, Daniel does not see a picture, no vision. He receives words from Gabriel.

The vision Gabriel was referring to - is the vision that Daniel had of the little horn, and the transgression of desolation the little horn will commit at the time of the end.

The completion of the 70 weeks (shmitah cycles) will be time of the end, the parable of the fig tree generation - which will witness Jesus's Return and the rapture/resurrection of believers in Jesus.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you telling me the understanding of the end times prophecies have been sealed from understanding until our day ?

When an ancient ruler finished writing a document, he often rolled up the scroll and used wax to "seal" up the document.

Therefore "sealing" during ancient times often refers to finishing something, instead of "hiding" something.

Anyone who can read, can see the summary of Daniel 9:24 was fulfilled by Christ during the first century.
Therefore, it has not been hidden from our understanding?

Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
(Quoted from Jeremiah 31:31-34)
Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Act 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Anyone who can read, can see the summary of Daniel 9:24 was fulfilled by Christ during the first century.
Therefore, it has not been hidden from our understanding?
In Daniel 9:24...

"to finish the transgression"

...what "the transgression" ?

Jesus gave many prophecies in new testament, including the events right before His Return. The 490 years will be complete when Jesus Returns.

"the vision" and "the transgression" is referring the vision Daniel had regarding the little horn and the transgression of desolation, recorded in Daniel 8. Daniel did not have a vision in Daniel 9.

the vision - that of the vision stopping the daily sacrifice, the transgression of desolation, the cleansing of the temple - spanning 2300 days.

the transgression - the transgression of desolation by the little horn.

prophecy
- all of the prophecy's in the bible, culminating with Jesus's Return.

Last edited:
Upvote 0