Georgia
✟138,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
"A new supermarket has opened in Tokyo that takes grab-and-go shopping to the next level. The store uses technology to do away with checkouts and the long lines that can come with them.

Major retailer Daiei and IT firm NTT Data launched what they call a 'walk through' store inside an NTT Data office building.

Customers enter the shop by showing a QR code on their phones. They can then just grab what they want to buy and leave without paying.

The amount will be automatically charged to a registered credit card.
The store is equipped with 32 cameras and weight sensors on the shelves to detect what customers have selected."

- Cashierless supermarket opens in Tokyo | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Would you like shopping this way?

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"A new supermarket has opened in Tokyo that takes grab-and-go shopping to the next level. The store uses technology to do away with checkouts and the long lines that can come with them.

Major retailer Daiei and IT firm NTT Data launched what they call a 'walk through' store inside an NTT Data office building.

Customers enter the shop by showing a QR code on their phones. They can then just grab what they want to buy and leave without paying.

The store is equipped with 32 cameras and weight sensors on the shelves to detect what customers have selected."

I would love it. As much as possible I already use the self check-out at stores, and the speed made possible by the kind of store in the article you linked would be amazing. I hope it becomes standard in my life time for all stores to be like that.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The automated systems here have regular faults. I can't remember ever having used one without some fault I needed a member of staff to log in and bypass. Most common is the 'place item correctly in the bagging area' fault. Once that appears no amount of moving the thing around makes any difference.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I hate supermarkets, bring back the local small business.

Of course that will never happen people are now, nothing more than cattle (they just have fancy toys) to be shuffled from one place to another.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hate supermarkets, bring back the local small business.

Of course that will never happen people are now, nothing more than cattle (they just have fancy toys) to be shuffled from one place to another.
so are you saying that a supermarket cannot be a small business?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
so are you saying that a supermarket cannot be a small business?

Name one if you know of one, my idea of a small business is one owned in the town the owner lives in.

My father was a part of a three person ownership of a pharmacy/gift store in the town we live in. They eventually grew the business to have three location in town. That is my idea of a small business a locally owned and operated business.

If you had a question, needed a product or had a problem in the store you deal with the owner, not a manger.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Name one if you know of one, my idea of a small business is one owned in the town the owner lives in.

My father was a part of a three person ownership of a pharmacy/gift store in the town we live in. They eventually grew the business to have three location in town. That is my idea of a small business a locally owned and operated business.

If you had a question, needed a product or had a problem in the store you deal with the owner, not a manger.
To me a supermarket is a place whose main product is food ( like real food not just junk food. Now this is not a supermarket but my uncle D owns a feed/hardware store has for years. Ace just came into town so it remains to be seen how his hardware part will do, but he has been operating that store for more than a score now and his sons will likely take over when D gets to where he either does not want to or cannot manage the store anyway. My grandfather owned a farm and seed business ( and at one point a dairy farm ( no longer owns the dairy farm, but his other son has sense taken over the farm as L is 85 and still works some, but his age and health have of course forced him to slow down.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
We have numerous small grocers. They’re popular in ethnic neighborhoods. Others are specialty retailers focusing on niche markets like gourmet food, wine, and cheese. There’s a similar break down for bakeries. Some focus on specific techniques and goods—like French bakeries—others are all purpose.

As for the OP, a combination of full service and self-serve opportunities is ideal. Whole Foods is full service but other stores have self-checkout and many love it.

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Amazon is also designing stores without cashiers, called Amazon Go.
1 minute 49 second video

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Refuse to use self checkout to help people have jobs including cashiers.
That doesn’t work… it’s a good idea, but they’re going to continue rolling this out anyway. One store near me ripped out nearly every single cashier-run register literally overnight and had them replaced with self-checks by morning.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟247,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I see large corporate own stores as being easier to control the public (move them in a specific direction) or are better equipped to incorporate change into society.

With all the climate change, deadly diseases, etc on the horizon, government can work through/with corporations. As the corporations are basically an arm of government.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

This is exactly what I was thinking long time ago. That without ”mark” you can’t even enter into the shop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums