Funny or Offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fuji S5 Pro

Well, I think it's hilarious. ^_^ Although it slightly worries me that people buy into that kind of thing.

Really? I almost came back to delete this post because I thought i would get banned for posting it.

I am really surprised by the stuff i read here. My first thought was this is a place where the admins are uptight and ban/delete everything, that is not the case. People are relaxed and very helpful. I feel very comfortable speaking my mind and being open in what i say.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's a video of a man pushing people over.

Faith healing works (occasionally) because people think it does. Part of me wants to say that if it works, it can only be a good thing. But on the other hand, if someone is making money out of essentially lying to people, it's unacceptable. I wish people would just have hypnotherapy, which is at least honest about using suggestion to help them with their problems. It's no surprise, really, that faith healing, homeopathy, acupuncture, crystals &c. appear to help people - they all use essentially the same suggestion techniques - but hypnotherapy is much more targeted and hence more efficient. Honestly, I am made so angry by the fact that you can get homeopathy on the NHS in some parts of Britain! Gah! What a waste of taxpayers' money, making bottles of water that have once been shown a duck's liver that was harvested in the moonlight by a trained tamarin...

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I don't find it either personally. But I have to say I don't see why something can be only funny or offensive...the things I find funniest are the things I find most offensive. You just can't beat a joke about paedophiles or the Holocaust . :p

Upvote 0

JadeTigress

Aug 15, 2006
Herrin, IL
✟9,414.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't find it either personally. But I have to say I don't see why something can be only funny or offensive...the things I find funniest are the things I find most offensive. You just can't beat a joke about paedophiles or the Holocaust . :p

I have to agree.

However, while that sort of stuff might offend other people, it doesn't offend me. I truly have never been offended by anything. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be offended.

Which is probably both the cause and effect of my humor being as vulgar and "out there" as it is. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FallenAngel3787

Don't Pick it, It will get infected!
Jul 23, 2008
UK
✟7,732.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged

you forgot the dead baby joke!!!!!

i'm with the other guys/girls that say that nothing really offends them.

i think its kind of funny (plus the song is kind of nifty too)

as for the healing and stuff.... meh. i'd rather put my life in the hands of trained medical professionals. i don't have a problem with healers as long as they don't pray on the needy by charging them loads of money and saying it will work. ya know ? they need to be honest and truthful and present reliable evidence before they take peoples money.

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
ooops sorry Robbie_James_Francis... kind of buttttted in a bit didnt i :p my bad.

*laughs at your jokes*

No, that's quite alright, was gonna wait for a post to be a buffer the joke anyway! ;)

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Is it funny or offensive?
Yes.

To someone who thinks that the whole Pentecostal "slaying in the spirit" thing is bizarre already, it's kind of funny.

To someone who takes their worship seriously, and is often mocked even by other Christians, it can feel just like one more attack. Is it a harsh attack?

Ever play "Rock, Paper, Scissors"? The first time someone flicks your forehead or wrist, it doesn't hurt. 10 or 15 minutes later, it feels like a sledgehammer.

In the 80s, I knew people that suddenly got sick, and died of AIDS. We didn't understand much, but I saw a friend wither away, get dementia and forget who I was, and die at an early age. At that time, people would say,
What does GAY stand for? Got AIDS Yet?
What do you call gay musicians? Band-AIDS
What do you call gay guys on rollerskates? Rol-AIDS

Was it funny? Moderately. Did I laugh? No. It felt cruel, ignored people who watched their sons, fathers, and friends die, while the government sat by and did little.

I was once involved with a Pentecostal Church. I saw people get "slain in the Spirit", people physically healed, people "profecy" where God spoke through them. I speak in tongues, and have was with a group that all seemed to sing in unison. I believe differently now, but to those people, their belief in God was their all. It was the most important thing to them.

So, a few people may be offended, especially with the tone of the music itself, that has a pretty negative energy. Expect it, acknowledge it, and understand it.

Were you to have lost someone to 9/11, you would probably be offended with a 9/11 joke, or someone who made light of dead soldiers during the war if your best friend was sent back in a body bag. Put yourself in someone else's shoes, and it's easier to understand, rather than judge the validity of being offended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.