Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ah ok. I'm throwing out some ideas that have helped me and some friends in the past :)

Another great site for funding a mission is GoFundMe. I haven't had the best of luck with other fundraisers, but you could always go with the sandwich / sub fundraiser. One organization I work with got a fair amount of money through that, but it took lots of time to be successful.

Also, if you are crafty, Etsy may be a good option as well.
well one way is sausage sizzle but someone else does that already because he's a butcher and able to obtain the sausages to sell.

I don't think we have etsy here, and thought of crowdfunding but..be honest do any of you just think oh I want to give some money today to a cause, I'll just go on a crowdfunding site and find something. Unless you've won lotto, who has that money to spare?

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok since ,I think in one single post some one suggested -way down the list- (shamfully) that we "ask God" not man.
I find it important to direct people to faith first .
One is means..one is faith ..only one of these can please God.

And I direct all here to the account of one George mueller.
Who on faith alone ended housing clothing feed in and educating Thousands of orphan children. Never soliciting funds from men.but ALWAYS going to God in prayer and asking him .
Free pdf book HERE The-Life-of-Trust-George-Mueller.
A truly astounding account.

• Agree
Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
George Mueller was an inspiring man of faith. I do know that God wants his children to receive His care and places it on the hearts of those who are able to give.

I thought that with those who have a heart to reach out and encourage people to read (apparently is my mission) and while things like books is not an orphanage as such we do require libraries which are the main distributor of FREE books for everyone to read. Any way shape or form of getting the word out especially for those who have none/can't afford is great. We need libraries and librarians, but organisations aren't prepared to pay for many of the things librarians need to do their work.

So often we do need to live by faith. Faith that the right books will reach the readers. Its great that people donate books without being asked directly. I've never had to ask. People want to share. If God wants something to happen He will do it.

Then you know its a God thing and not of yourself, or how good a fundraiser (or hustler lol) you are.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Still...not quite sure about the fireworks thing. that would be like me allowing the library to be used as a shop and the profits being used to fund the library. And not even selling books but selling things that are quite dangerous.

I suppose the church people justified it in some ways that people want fireworks rather than to be asked for money but I dunno. Wouldn't it have been better to trust the Lord. I also don't get the offering each week whenever they say you give God your money..but you don't actually give to God its used for the church expenses, and most of the people would be retired or not in the workforce anyway or children. I guess it doesn't bother people who have regular guaranteed incomes to be asked every week.

but for some reason it bothers me and wonder why they just don't put a box for donation instead of making a big deal about it. They do that with the food basket. The pastor doesn't need to say now everyone give a can of food and we will sing a song while the basket is going round.
But for some strange reason they do that for the (money) offering.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
it would be good if able to have free airtime but the money goes towards community radio who run the operation and the technicians, its not for profit radio.

I suppose the church is meant to be not-for-proft too so it can pay bills and maintainence but the thing is they use a profit from something else. I think its not a fee for letting the firework seller to have somewhere to put their stand (like it is for the carboot sales) but from the actual sale of the fireworks themselves, they just put the price up.

Upvote 0

tienkhoanguyen

non-denominational Christian
Dec 17, 2016
Houston, TX
✟1,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I see giving to the church is a good thing since the church *usually* uses the money for building statues for the people to look at when they are about in church. Also I've seen churches do really good stuffs like teach the kids.

I am grateful to GOD and am a true believer. However I don't like to use Jesus Christ sometimes because of the fake Jesus Christ these days. I always try to say the *original* Jesus Christ meaning there was no other when Jesus Christ came to say that I am mimicking that person who is considered GOD.

Also I was homeless however I ended up being helped by a lot of local churches. I would go to this one church for food while another church would have clothing donation on a different day. So the local churches kind of team work independently if you will.

These days I rent a place with my mom. She kicked me out once because I committed a crime. So now it has been 20 years since the crime and she has finally gotten use to me being back. However it was tough. First I went homeless. Then I went to collect welfare and this is the point I am at right now. So I suggest going to your local state welfare office to help if you are going to lose your place to live. They should help especially if you are kids!

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
whatever you can give to the church is good I suppose but some churches do a thing where they will sort of beg for the money. Instead of trusting in God to compel people to give...its strange that I would give to one church that never really asked but not to another that was so in your face about collecting money.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟521,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ordinarily would work and use the money earned from income to pay for things, but what happens when there's no work coming in, or there's not enough in the budget do you fundraise, or just make do, or ask God to provide?

Is it christian to fundraise and ask people to donate. Just wondering. Is it like begging in a way?

I don't particularly like being asked for money esp by charities that send regular letters and appeals all the time. Not cos I'm tight but because I don't really have the money to spare. Is there a way to do it thats not intrusive or guilt inducing.

Another thing is, found out the church I attended sold fireworks, well allowed people to sell fireworks in their carpark in exchange for some profit. Is this a christian thing to do, (fireworks for Guy Fawkes day) what about carboot sales? I mean is everything to buy and sell or trade ok? If the money goes toward a good cause?

I mean it's not firearms, but fireworks are dangerous all the same. You can't sell them to anyone under 14.
I don't know about all your concerns, but I feel Christians should not ask for "fundraising" before suffering the consequences of their bad financial situation themselves...i.e. reduce their costs and be as dramatic in those cuts as necessary. Some people wish you to keep them living in style on your dime...just not Christian.
I do not like letters or appeals for money by organizations I already donated to...they want more...just checking sort of thing. I'm not so sure they know how best to handle funds. So, many concerns on that front.

• Agree
Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion, the best approach is to be as involved as possible in the process. Get as close as you can to direct giving, rather than blindly trusting in organizations (which are often unfortunately corrupt). If you can get involved with an organization, then you can see it from the inside, which is the best method of vetting out there. Or you can do your own thing. It is also good to research what is truly needed in order to help people escape their situation.

For example, in order to be able to get a job, people will typically need:

1. A permanent address of some sort that they can use on their resumes and any employment paperwork, or else they will have to lie about it and may be caught and fired.
2. Reliable transportation, even if it's just a bus pass. But they need something reliable.
3. A phone, in order to be able to be reachable by interested employers, set up interviews, use the clock to keep time, etc.
4. A way to keep the phone reliably charged.
5. I.D. (state or driver's license in the states)
6. Their social security card or a copy
7. Access to bathing and laundry (they likely won't be hired if they have dirty clothing or smell bad)
8. Interview-appropriate clothing
9. Internet Access (not all libraries are free to use, some libraries also require I.D., etc etc) How are they going to search and apply for jobs without the internet hello

And so on. All of this is necessary just to get a part time gig at Walmart, let alone a job that is actually sustaining.

So if you want to make a difference, you have to buckle in and get strategic. Research the needs. Think about what you would do to get a job if you were suddenly homeless with nothing but the clothes on your back. If you're thinking critically about it, you will quickly come up with all sorts of obstacles and issues that would be in your way. Those are the ticket items.

In fundraising ads, explain specifically what is needed, why it is needed, and how providing this need will help people get back on their feet or remain on their feet. This gives people confidence when donating, rather than a situation where a group/organization/shelter/church/etc is like.. "Please give us the money, and we will make sure it goes to a good cause." Most people do not trust that. If most people are more inclined towards greed, and something seems sketch, then it's like, fuggedaboutit. But if you can point them to something specific, explain specifically why it is needed, specifically how their donation will provide that need, etc, and are very transparent about the process, then that is more encouraging.

Some needs are already met, and a community's homeless network know all about it. Getting enough to eat, for example, is often pretty doable, because so many charity events and shelters focus on food. So a fundraiser for food might not get much traction. But what is often overlooked is that most homeless people must walk 15-25 miles a DAY to get to the places where they can get food, or a bed, and so on, so they are rapidly burning off the calories they are getting, plus their feet are in bad shape, etc. Thus bus passes are a HUGE deal. And so on.

I'm all about charity, but I want it to be strategic.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to give to childfund but they kept sending me more and more appeals I could only do one. And then i didnt have asteady job anymore and couldnt give every month.

They were hardcore fundraisers for the children which is admirable I supoose cos they did say what their needs were and where the money would go, BUT used a lot for admin, over above what I thought was reasonable, they never shared the gospel, which ought to go hand in hand, and when they wrote to me on childs behalf would say they spent the money on sweets and lollies.

And ok, whatver they want to spend on its their thing but didnt have the heart to tell them sugar is going to rot their childs teeth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't know about all your concerns, but I feel Christians should not ask for "fundraising" before suffering the consequences of their bad financial situation themselves...i.e. reduce their costs and be as dramatic in those cuts as necessary. Some people wish you to keep them living in style on your dime...just not Christian.
I do not like letters or appeals for money by organizations I already donated to...they want more...just checking sort of thing. I'm not so sure they know how best to handle funds. So, many concerns on that front.
Public schools that are in low decile rely on donations...there is NO budget for libraries.
Parents are asked for monetary donations for these schools on a regular basis and made to feel bad if they cant afford the donation.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
One school has a trip to china for its students planned and up to the parents to pay for their airticket, but many parents Would need to budget for that.
In those cases where children literally cannot go because their parents cant afford to send them anywhere (not just china but even school trips to the zoo) they miss out one learning oppportunities other children take for granted. Is it the childs fault?

Or would it be better for the school to do some fundraising so everyone can go and its not on the parents to cough up.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In my opinion, the best approach is to be as involved as possible in the process. Get as close as you can to direct giving, rather than blindly trusting in organizations (which are often unfortunately corrupt). If you can get involved with an organization, then you can see it from the inside, which is the best method of vetting out there. Or you can do your own thing. It is also good to research what is truly needed in order to help people escape their situation.

For example, in order to be able to get a job, people will typically need:

1. A permanent address of some sort that they can use on their resumes and any employment paperwork, or else they will have to lie about it and may be caught and fired.
2. Reliable transportation, even if it's just a bus pass. But they need something reliable.
3. A phone, in order to be able to be reachable by interested employers, set up interviews, use the clock to keep time, etc.
4. A way to keep the phone reliably charged.
5. I.D. (state or driver's license in the states)
6. Their social security card or a copy
7. Access to bathing and laundry (they likely won't be hired if they have dirty clothing or smell bad)
8. Interview-appropriate clothing
9. Internet Access (not all libraries are free to use, some libraries also require I.D., etc etc) How are they going to search and apply for jobs without the internet hello

And so on. All of this is necessary just to get a part time gig at Walmart, let alone a job that is actually sustaining.

So if you want to make a difference, you have to buckle in and get strategic. Research the needs. Think about what you would do to get a job if you were suddenly homeless with nothing but the clothes on your back. If you're thinking critically about it, you will quickly come up with all sorts of obstacles and issues that would be in your way. Those are the ticket items.

In fundraising ads, explain specifically what is needed, why it is needed, and how providing this need will help people get back on their feet or remain on their feet. This gives people confidence when donating, rather than a situation where a group/organization/shelter/church/etc is like.. "Please give us the money, and we will make sure it goes to a good cause." Most people do not trust that. If most people are more inclined towards greed, and something seems sketch, then it's like, fuggedaboutit. But if you can point them to something specific, explain specifically why it is needed, specifically how their donation will provide that need, etc, and are very transparent about the process, then that is more encouraging.

Some needs are already met, and a community's homeless network know all about it. Getting enough to eat, for example, is often pretty doable, because so many charity events and shelters focus on food. So a fundraiser for food might not get much traction. But what is often overlooked is that most homeless people must walk 15-25 miles a DAY to get to the places where they can get food, or a bed, and so on, so they are rapidly burning off the calories they are getting, plus their feet are in bad shape, etc. Thus bus passes are a HUGE deal. And so on.

I'm all about charity, but I want it to be strategic.
I was thinking of the homeless I saw in London sleeping on park benches and some would just ride the circle line on the tube all day when it was cold.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know.. in the end we answer to God. Clue is.. its BETTER to learn it here.. change here...not after this. For me.. if its for GOD...then all money goes to HIM period. I am not like most. Some live off it..praise GOD. But..

What is it you want? And you know Jesus right? What does "BS" stand for? ;) WHAT IS IT YOU WANT? I as kind a wondering why I thought of something just a few min ago. How about Jesus "And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God." God in Jerm "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?"...again WHAT IS IT YOU WANT? Just WHO are you? WHOS are you? WHO is your Father? Get it right.. not my man but by HIM. Your DADDY is A GOD..thee ONLY TRUE LIVING GOD! WOW. Sorry what do you need? If GOD is for you who si against you? What EVER the DOUBT is.. shove WHAT IS WRITTEN back at it

He is about to.. open door.. huge. So take alook around. Light or dark matters not. I have never seen the righteous forsaken or begging for bread. Believing in JESUS...you are IN RIGHT STANDING with the Father!

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Theres lots of things that can be freely provided nowdays if you know where to look. Public libraries...always people there. Free wifi.

With library card memembership you do need a permanent address though to borrow books but you can just go in, look at the books there you dont have to take them out.

Libraries are where the homeless hang out as its warm. And nobodys really going to bother you there if you want to sit and read.

They are not like some churches that close their doors to people even if they just want to sit and pray.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is what I want a place to sit and pray and read books in church with others. Right next to the bookshelf.

We have our eye on one seat that could be there but with the pastors seem so stingy they going to say no even thought we have the budget for it. I cannot work with that. How cAn we have storytime if theres nowhere to sit, or do we just sit on the floor.

I dont want to be made to beg for one. I hate job hunting..its degrading. Feels like you begging for work but we are made to do it. By the secular world.

Father gives me all I need but people say no you need a job when are you going to get one that pays. Well hello? If one is offered.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mum wants me to work ie. go out to work its not enough I do work at home. I need a job that makes her look respectable and not a failure and possibly pay for her old age. Whatever.

I dont know. Shes confusing me. She doesnt know the Lord.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟521,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Public schools that are in low decile rely on donations...there is NO budget for libraries.
Parents are asked for monetary donations for these schools on a regular basis and made to feel bad if they cant afford the donation.
There seems to be no Christianity and thus a complete lack of logic and fairness which naturally flows from Christianity and its studies. The library funding you point out is in my view a product of no or very poor logic.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
She goes oh try harder.

If you dont have one after four years out of permanent work its cos you not trying. its maddening. She doesnt care if I get stressed out and end up in hospital again. Possibly next one with work related injuries I dont know.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There seems to be no Christianity and thus a complete lack of logic and fairness which naturally flows from Christianity and its studies. The library funding you point out is in my view a product of no or very poor logic.
Just talking bout secular schools here but ive seen in Christian schools as well. Where the parents have to give up their time to clean the school, fundraise etc. and they have higher fees. But i guess its different.

Upvote 0