jengoesup

Mar 8, 2006
Not at Home
✟7,725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's not persecution! I'm a fan of that website and honestly, its purpose is to make fun of fundamentalists - not all Christians. That's why, as someone else said, it's "Fundies Say The Darndest Things".

Don't be so sensitive. FSTDT isn't around to make fun of God but His followers. After all, as the old saying goes: "God, save me from (some) of your followers".
Ringo
*shrug* In my opinion, mocking is sort of a form of taunting, of persecution, right? Besides, I'd bet there are some legitimate comments on there which are being mocked. Anyway, I don't think it's the nicest thing, and I don't think it's particularly nice to mock people for their beliefs and laugh at them, no matter how ludicrous, off-the-wall or absurd: just keep it to yourself, one day you might be in their shoes! Mocking is going to happen, but you shouldn't enjoy it. At least, I don't think you should.

Upvote 0

Axver

Dreaming on a railway track
Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
Mocking is a form of persecution? Oh, yeah, it's right up there with being put on a rack, or shot, or hung, drawn, and quartered just because you have a different belief to the people with the power.

How is anyone being persecuted by FSTDT? No-one's being seriously harmed, stopped from practicing their beliefs, or denied any rights. All that's happening is that blatantly absurd, ridiculous, or factually inaccurate comments are being posted. And if you post something on the Internet for anyone to read without checking your facts, you should expect someone to come along and tell you what you said was a bit silly.

Reactions: cobweb
Upvote 0

jengoesup

Mar 8, 2006
Not at Home
✟7,725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Mocking is a form of persecution? Oh, yeah, it's right up there with being put on a rack, or shot, or hung, drawn, and quartered just because you have a different belief to the people with the power.

How is anyone being persecuted by FSTDT? No-one's being seriously harmed, stopped from practicing their beliefs, or denied any rights. All that's happening is that blatantly absurd, ridiculous, or factually inaccurate comments are being posted. And if you post something on the Internet for anyone to read without checking your facts, you should expect someone to come along and tell you what you said was a bit silly.
Right: you're going behind someone's back and publicly humiliating them. Sure, they publicly humiliated themselves by putting it out on public: but I think there's a difference between confronting them on the board where they posted it, and putting it on a website for loads of people to comment on.

I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out someone's comment as being ludicrous, as long as you do so lovingly. Something that doesn't smack of mockery, that isn't biting, that doesn't hurt.

Though mockery is not as severe as the forms of persecution you have mentioned (which most people with a computer and the Internet might not be subjected to; at least not those in the U.S. or Canada etc etc), it is still persecution. According to dictionary.com:

per‧se‧cute  /ˈpɜr
thinsp.png
sɪˌkyut/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pur-si-kyoot] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object), -cut‧ed, -cut‧ing. 1.to pursue with harassing or oppressive treatment, esp. because of religion, race, or beliefs; harass persistently. 2.to annoy or trouble persistently.

Upvote 0

Axver

Dreaming on a railway track
Sep 4, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟3,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Greens
Right: you're going behind someone's back and publicly humiliating them. Sure, they publicly humiliated themselves by putting it out on public: but I think there's a difference between confronting them on the board where they posted it, and putting it on a website for loads of people to comment on.

You put something out in public, expect for it to be copied. Simple as that.

And the site itself isn't doing the humiliating anyway. It's just quoting the person verbatim. Any mockery comes from some commenters. Take issue with them, and while you do, avoid being a hypocrite and take issue with those who mock others here and on whatever other websites you visit too.

Though mockery is not as severe as the forms of persecution you have mentioned (which most people with a computer and the Internet might not be subjected to; at least not those in the U.S. or Canada etc etc), it is still persecution. According to dictionary.com:

It is not persecution. The definition doesn't help your case whatsoever. FSTDT fails to be persecution via persistent harassment as it only quotes the post once (not persistently) and it seems most posters aren't even aware they have been featured on the site. And FSTDT fails to be persecution via oppression as it does not oppress anyone whatsoever; no rights or beliefs are denied.

Upvote 0

jengoesup

Mar 8, 2006
Not at Home
✟7,725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You put something out in public, expect for it to be copied. Simple as that.

So what, it's ok for people to copy and mock it because it's going to happen, and they can't be held responsible for their actions because somebody else was bound to do it anyway? Because everybody else is doing it?

And the site itself isn't doing the humiliating anyway. It's just quoting the person verbatim. Any mockery comes from some commenters. Take issue with them, and while you do, avoid being a hypocrite and take issue with those who mock others here and on whatever other websites you visit too.
The site owners are allowing the humiliation to occur and are fully responsible for it by hosting it on their website. The site owners are responsible for content posted by its users, especially if they condone the comments and/or allow them to persist and remain on their site. They can delete the comments if they wish, but they haven't. If they've got enough time to search Christian Forums for 'fundie' posts, they sure have enough time to search for humiliating comments on their site.

On the websites I am on, hypocritical people have been dealt with by the moderators. I usually stay out of theological discussions, so I'm not exactly privy to every such occurance.

It is not persecution. The definition doesn't help your case whatsoever. FSTDT fails to be persecution via persistent harassment as it only quotes the post once (not persistently) and it seems most posters aren't even aware they have been featured on the site. And FSTDT fails to be persecution via oppression as it does not oppress anyone whatsoever; no rights or beliefs are denied.

Even though the quote is posted once, many quotes receive up to 100 comments or more. Each comment can potentially be a harrassment. Your definition of persistent harrassment is skewed. Just because the harrassment is not oppressive does not mean it is not persecution. Although I agree with you, persecution has more of a connotation of being an oppressive act; yet the denotation shows otherwise (see definition number 2:to annoy or trouble persistently.)

Upvote 0

Shakespeare

Jul 20, 2006
✟15,220.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Others
Wow. Well, first, the internet is not a place to be if you are in any way thin-skinned. There is no getting around that. The internet is a largely unregulated forum for the free exchange of ideas. Any ideas, be they positive or negative. And if you swim in unguraded waters, you kind of have to be ready for the sharks.

Over at FSTDT, there are a lot of comments made of the "YOU ARE AN (*&@$&" type, it's true. There are also comments that legitimately point out the doctrinal and logical fallacies in the posts quoted. Neither of those are the people to fear however, since there are also a few contributers over there who are quite adept at scathingly ripping apart the hypocracy, absurdity, and theological elitism of the posts.

The people over at FSTDT generally do not come to the boards to harrass the original poster because they don't really seem to be interested in them. It's the posts that interest them. FSTDT is kind of a people-watching club on the internet, where they nudge each other and wink and roll their eyes but don't feel a need to actually go up to the person and point out how foolish they are being.

Would you prefer it if they did?

They have stated that they have no problem at all with any Christian who follows the teachings of Jesus and does not try to ram their faith down the throats of unwilling people or act in a hateful manner from a position of religious self-superiority. I have seen nothing on the site that makes me doubt that statement, despite the fact that there are avowed atheists amongst them. Heck, there are more than a few Christians active on FSTDT as well.

It's harmless, it's fairly innocuous, and it is in no way persecuting you, me, or any other Christian. As a Christian, you should expect to find your words, statements, and actions scrutinized by all around you, and if you spout foolishness, you should not be surprised when people comment on it.

No one has ever wound up on FSTDT who hasn't said something incredibly stupid, absurd, or hateful.

I would post examples, but this is not the proper forum. Check it out of you are interested, anyone can go and comment and read them, they don't even make you register.

Again, when you swim in unguarded waters, be ready for the sharks.

Upvote 0

HisEagle

Senior Veteran
Feb 26, 2004
✟10,742.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My only comfort is that they are going to Hell for this. :mad:

The fact that you are getting comfort at the thought of such a thing truly disturbs me. Or do you not remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 5, where He tells us to love our enemies, pray for those who curse us, and do good to those who hate us?

:doh:

Upvote 0

Shakespeare

Jul 20, 2006
✟15,220.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Others
The fact that you are getting comfort at the thought of such a thing truly disturbs me. Or do you not remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 5, where He tells us to love our enemies, pray for those who curse us, and do good to those who hate us?

:doh:

It has pretty much been established that he was a troll trying to whip everyone here into a frenzy of indignation. When that failed, he got bored and left.

Crusadernoel's biggest problem is that while he states in his post that got put up on FSTDT that his problems with his wife started when he "found Jesus," he claims to have always been a Christian. In fact, his profile on this stie clearly states "I have been a Christian for as far back as I can remember. My parents were Christians and they raised me one. I have never been Godless. I pity any who are Godless." That really doesn't sound like the testimony of someone who needed to "find" Jesus.

Upvote 0

crusadernoel

Jun 3, 2006
London
✟15,165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Trolling gets boring, doesn't it?

A true, dyed-in-the-wool born-again fundie would never give up that easily, my friend. Besides, it sounds from your original post that you "found Jesus" but your wife didn't. Otherwise, wouldn't she have agreed with your newfound fundamentalist, male-dominance schtick?

And if you found Jesus and Margaret didn't, then why do you refer to this priest as "our" priest...?

And you prefer priests to pastors? That has to be the most moronic statement yet, my friend. If you are really choosing your religious affiliation based on the titles of the clergy, well, then that's remarkably shallow of you. I could understand it it you prefered the theology and doctrine of those faiths who use the term "Father," but then again, those would be Roman Catholic and Orthodox...neither of which are much in tune with a born again approach to faith and doctrine.

Only your dog Geoffrey and your best friend Jesus for company...? Oh come, on, man. Even "Crimes of the Heart" isn't that melodramatic. Why not go all the way and throw in that you have cancer, too? Where are all the new friends the "Priest" introduced you to? Are you such a sad sack that even your newfound congregation of Roman-Catholic-Southern-Baptist-Pentecostal-Anglicans won't talk to you?

It you are going to cast into the pond with the big fish, be prepared with better bait, my friend.

There seems to be some confusion.

Re-read the exchange between Catlover and I.

I was uncovered as a troll and I resigned from the forum. I did so jokingly, in character, as Noel.

You see, once it had become clear I was a troll, I thought people would understand that Noel Hurley is not a real person. Margaret is not a real person and Geoffrey is not a real dog.

I think some confusion persists here because you're regarding the troll character as the same person as the person posting as the troll character.

I am just spoofing Neo-Cons. They're not my views.

Anyway I thought that was clear when I posted my, then final, but as it turns out, now penultinate, post!

So, like I said before, I won't be posting anymore.

I am only posting this one last time because people are still analysing and replying to what Noel has been saying and I wanted to save you all the time and energy of being annoyed at him and composing and posting responses to him.

Sorry!

Best wishes

:wave:

As you were.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow. Well, first, the internet is not a place to be if you are in any way thin-skinned. There is no getting around that. The internet is a largely unregulated forum for the free exchange of ideas. Any ideas, be they positive or negative. And if you swim in unguraded waters, you kind of have to be ready for the sharks.

Over at FSTDT, there are a lot of comments made of the "YOU ARE AN (*&@$&" type, it's true. There are also comments that legitimately point out the doctrinal and logical fallacies in the posts quoted. Neither of those are the people to fear however, since there are also a few contributers over there who are quite adept at scathingly ripping apart the hypocracy, absurdity, and theological elitism of the posts.

The people over at FSTDT generally do not come to the boards to harrass the original poster because they don't really seem to be interested in them. It's the posts that interest them. FSTDT is kind of a people-watching club on the internet, where they nudge each other and wink and roll their eyes but don't feel a need to actually go up to the person and point out how foolish they are being.

Would you prefer it if they did?

They have stated that they have no problem at all with any Christian who follows the teachings of Jesus and does not try to ram their faith down the throats of unwilling people or act in a hateful manner from a position of religious self-superiority. I have seen nothing on the site that makes me doubt that statement, despite the fact that there are avowed atheists amongst them. Heck, there are more than a few Christians active on FSTDT as well.

It's harmless, it's fairly innocuous, and it is in no way persecuting you, me, or any other Christian. As a Christian, you should expect to find your words, statements, and actions scrutinized by all around you, and if you spout foolishness, you should not be surprised when people comment on it.

No one has ever wound up on FSTDT who hasn't said something incredibly stupid, absurd, or hateful.

I would post examples, but this is not the proper forum. Check it out of you are interested, anyone can go and comment and read them, they don't even make you register.

Again, when you swim in unguarded waters, be ready for the sharks.
Exactly. Well-put.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So what, it's ok for people to copy and mock it because it's going to happen, and they can't be held responsible for their actions because somebody else was bound to do it anyway? Because everybody else is doing it?

The site owners are allowing the humiliation to occur and are fully responsible for it by hosting it on their website. The site owners are responsible for content posted by its users, especially if they condone the comments and/or allow them to persist and remain on their site. They can delete the comments if they wish, but they haven't. If they've got enough time to search Christian Forums for 'fundie' posts, they sure have enough time to search for humiliating comments on their site.

On the websites I am on, hypocritical people have been dealt with by the moderators. I usually stay out of theological discussions, so I'm not exactly privy to every such occurance.

Even though the quote is posted once, many quotes receive up to 100 comments or more. Each comment can potentially be a harrassment. Your definition of persistent harrassment is skewed. Just because the harrassment is not oppressive does not mean it is not persecution. Although I agree with you, persecution has more of a connotation of being an oppressive act; yet the denotation shows otherwise (see definition number 2:to annoy or trouble persistently.)
Look, if someone says something stupud, they deserve to be called on it, whether they're called publicly or through something like FSTDT.

It's not persecution. I've read many of the entries there myself, and I can assure you that the people published there deserve the mockery and spectacle they get.

Instead of passing judgment, you ought to go there yourself and read some of the stuff posted online. I think you'd agree that those people don't speak for Christianity as a whole.
Ringo

Upvote 0

jengoesup

Mar 8, 2006
Not at Home
✟7,725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Look, if someone says something stupud, they deserve to be called on it, whether they're called publicly or through something like FSTDT.

It's not persecution. I've read many of the entries there myself, and I can assure you that the people published there deserve the mockery and spectacle they get.

Instead of passing judgment, you ought to go there yourself and read some of the stuff posted online. I think you'd agree that those people don't speak for Christianity as a whole.
Ringo
I see your point, but maybe I'm just too nice to make fun of people ;) I mean, yes, a lot of the things on there are laughable, but it just feels...fundamentally wrong to me to publicly call them out on it without letting them respond, without them knowing (no pun intended). What about Ephesians 4:29? (Someone else pointed out this verse to me). Or are they taking it out of context?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see your point, but maybe I'm just too nice to make fun of people ;) I mean, yes, a lot of the things on there are laughable, but it just feels...fundamentally wrong to me to publicly call them out on it without letting them respond, without them knowing (no pun intended). What about Ephesians 4:29? (Someone else pointed out this verse to me). Or are they taking it out of context?
FSTDT checks each post to make sure that the entries aren't taken out of context. It's a valid concern, but I think that most entries are posted in their context.
Ringo

Upvote 0

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Besides, waht are y'all going to do, take them to internet Jail? come on, you know the best way to curb this kind of thing from happening? DONT POST STUPID STUFF. Simple as that, dont be a moron and they wont have anything to say.

Reactions: cobweb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Besides, waht are y'all going to do, take them to internet Jail? come on, you know the best way to curb this kind of thing from happening? DONT POST STUPID STUFF. Simple as that, dont be a moron and they wont have anything to say.
Exactly, Jacob.

You make a lot of sense - in this thread and the "persecution" thread. Thanks.
Ringo

Upvote 0

JacobHall86

Calvin is 500 years old, Calvinism is eternal!
Apr 27, 2006
ATL
✟20,536.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You too, its wierd that we disagree on some Doctrine but we can see eye to eye on this kind of stuff, basically that Christians need to toughen up and most of the time shut up, because they really do say the darnedist things.

Upvote 0

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And speaking to jengoesup's concern:

FSTDT is not a members-only site, anyone can go to the site and post comments in response to any post. So if you get quoted and you feel you're being picked on, by all means, you have free access to go respond.

However, MOST of the time when people do this, they end up saying even more silly and inane things that end up getting torn to shreds.

So yes - in the end it's better to THINK about what you say before you say it.

I've said it before, often the worst enemies of Christianity are Christians themselves.

Upvote 0

MrrrrrNiceGuy

If you know the truth the truth will set you free.
Jul 17, 2006
Fairview, Tennessee
Visit site
✟8,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Watch out everyone! I'd be very careful what you say in this thread, as Mr. Fundies Say the Darndest Things himself is a poster on Christian Forums! :eek:

Then again, I really don't care if I've been qouted on FSTDT. I've read that site and I've noticed that my words have already been qouted from a different Christian messsage board (not Christian Forums). But the good thing about this is that at least my very words are reaching the people that need to hear them the most: the Atheists and Agnostics of the Internet!!! ;)

So go on FSTDT, go ahead and quote this one why don't you. I don't care. It's exactly what I want you to do anyway. You have my explicit permission! Make my day! :clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0

RealityCheck

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2006
New York
✟23,538.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Watch out everyone! I'd be very careful what you say in this thread, as Mr. Fundies Say the Darndest Things himself is a poster on Christian Forums! :eek:

Then again, I really don't care if I've been qouted on FSTDT. I've read that site and I've noticed that my words have already been qouted from a different Christian messsage board (not Christian Forums). But the good thing about this is that at least my very words are reaching the people that need to hear them the most: the Atheists and Agnostics of the Internet!!! ;)

So go on FSTDT, go ahead and quote this one why don't you. I don't care. It's exactly what I want you to do anyway. You have my explicit permission! Make my day! :clap::clap::clap:

You should check the site sometime and pay attention. While the site does have a good share of atheists and agnostics, it also has quite a contingent of Christians as well.

And you should pay attention to the content of the posts that do end up there. You'd be hard pressed to say that any of them are going to convince anyone to turn to Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.