Fundamental Question: Is God Beyond time?

Jun 4, 2017
USA
✟7,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
We believe that God is all knowing, all powerful and beyond time. Christianity states that after people did not follow in God's ways and dismissed Jesus there had to come about a change. The new testament was given because of this.

My question is that if God is above time why couldn't he write a single book that would never need to be updated?

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
We believe that God is all knowing, all powerful and beyond time. Christianity states that after people did not follow in God's ways and dismissed Jesus there had to come about a change. The new testament was given because of this.

My question is that if God is above time why couldn't he write a single book that would never need to be updated?

Hello. :)

God is not bound by the laws of the universe. Our time has no effect on Him.

Your question seem to relate to why is there an ot and an nt. Please correct me.

To sum it up. The ot law of moses was given to the jews to observe which includes atonement for sins.

Due to the fall of Adam, sin (disobedience to God) came into the world. Atonement makes us clean before God which involved a sacrifice (spilling of blood). This was a requirement of the law of moses.

Jesus is the ultimate sacrifice and made it so that we could be redeemed, and made right before God for ever.

The ot law of moses was in place until the coming of Jesus. Now we are under the law of grace (nt) not the law of moses (ot).

Realistically the ot is a record of the history of the jews and how God delt with them. The nt is a record of the christians and how God revealed His word, and what God now requires.

Hope that helps. This is a short answer to a big subject. God bless

Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
My question is that if he is above time, why couldn't a god who is all knowing write a single book that never needed to be replaced?

Hello

What do you mean by a single book that never needed to be replaced?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

He did... its called the Bible :)

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2017
USA
✟7,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I mean written the OT as the only book that never needed to be replaced or added to.

For example, I write a book. As a child I write it one way. When I grow up to be a teenager I edit because my views change. This happens as I age, having edited many times because as time goes on I learn and need to modify the book. Sometimes I may even write a whole new book to discredit or disregard the first book I wrote. If I was above time I would have simply written one book without ever needing to edit it.

Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I mean written the OT as the only book that never needed to be replaced or added to.

For example, I write a book. As a child I write it one way. When I grow up to be a teenager I edit because my views change. This happens as I age, having edited many times because as time goes on I learn and need to modify the book. Sometimes I may even write a whole new book to discredit or disregard the first book I wrote. If I was above time I would have simply written one book without ever needing to edit it.

Hello.

Please excuse me however i thought that was explained in my earlier post. The bible is not re edited or added to.

What in particular about my earlier post do you not understand?

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2017
USA
✟7,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Hello.

Please excuse me however i thought that was explained in my earlier post. The bible is not re edited or added to.

What in particular about my earlier post do you not understand?

You said the OT and NT are meant to serve different purposed in different times of history. At the end of the day they are 2 books and having different purposes. When above time and all knowing you should be able to write a single book that encompasses both needs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

_-iconoclast-_

Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
You said the OT and NT are meant to serve different purposed in different times of history. At the end of the day they are 2 books and having different purposes. When above time and all knowing you should be able to write a single book that encompasses both needs.

Hello

Could you please explain what are these different purposes?

Both the ot and nt tell you how to obey God and both have atonement?

What is wrong with ot and nt serving different times in history?

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2017
USA
✟7,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
What are these different purposes?

Both the ot and nt tell you how to obey God and both have atonement?

What is wrong with ot and nt serving different times in history?

My question is, what limited God to not be able to write a single book that can serve all time.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christianity says he wrote the OT and the NT. Thats 2 books.

Well technically there are 66 "books" which are actually manuscripts that were inspired by God's Spirit. Even though there are 66 the theme and message is so closely intertwined that they form one entire book detailing God's redemptive plan. So the Bible is a book that needs no updating. That is why it has not been updated for 2,000 years

The Bible is a series of revelations that showed how God progressively dealt with man & his sinfulness. Once his "plan" was completely revealed there was no longer a need to continue. We have that complete revelation now and as previously stated it was completed 2,000 years ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
My question is, what limited God to not be able to write a single book that can serve all time.

Hello.

Maybe God wanted to be more than limited!

My earlier post is the christian position which explains ot and nt. I can explain it in more detail if you like?

Other than that you could wait for someone else to reply. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Time is a creation, like anything else. All creation ultimately leads to God, who is the only undependent cause. All exists within Gods creation. Depending on what you mean by outside, then I suppose He is outside time. Having said that, He is the essence of "to be" itself. When asked for His name, He could only supply "I Am, Who Am". He IS. Time is more a part of that, than He being separated from it objectively.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,465.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has been moved to the Christian Scriptures forum.
Please note and abide by the Statement of Purpose of this forum.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
View attachment 199142
MOD HAT ON
This thread has been moved to the Christian Scriptures forum.
Please note and abide by the Statement of Purpose of this forum.

MOD HAT OFF
This came right after my post to this thread. If I said something I shouldn't, I apologize. To be honest, I'm not completely sure about what I'm doing in any given forum. I'll see some topic or something listed in the "recent threads" that I find interesting, and if I have something to say, that I feel might contribute to the thread, then I usually say it, as the spirit moves me. I will try to look at the rules for each group forum I'm moved to post in. But in this instance, I'm a bit confused. But sorry, none the less. God bless, Steven

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Assuming your premise is true, here's the short answer. Our human knowledge and wisdom is like a molecule of water. God's knowledge and wisdom is like the ocean. To us, our knowledge and wisdom may seem impressive, but compared to Him it's practically nothing. What makes us think we can define or judge Him based on our comparative ignorance?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,465.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This came right after my post to this thread. If I said something I shouldn't, I apologize. To be honest, I'm not completely sure about what I'm doing in any given forum. I'll see some topic or something listed in the "recent threads" that I find interesting, and if I have something to say, that I feel might contribute to the thread, then I usually say it, as the spirit moves me. I will try to look at the rules for each group forum I'm moved to post in. But in this instance, I'm a bit confused. But sorry, none the less. God bless, Steven

No fault on your part at all. :)

This thread had been started in a forum where it didn't really fit (we try to keep fairly clear lines of what belongs where, so that people can choose the sort of conversation they want to have), and I just moved it to somewhere that it fits better.

If in doubt, most forums have a "Statement of Purpose" that gives you a good idea of what does and doesn't fit there. For example, the Statement of Purpose for this forum is here: Statement of Purpose - Christian Scriptures Statement of Purpose

If in doubt, always check there and it should help! :)

Upvote 0