Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"If they're right - then my bases are covered. If they're wrong, what does it matter?"

A couple of times I've asked people why they believe - and got answers along those lines. I have to admit, while I always appreciated the honesty of the answer, I wondered what value "faith" founded on that type of belief would really hold. I mean, if God exists and knows what's in your heart, and if sincere faith really does matter, what real currency would "faith" like that have?

Faith given in order to cover your bets doesn't really seem like faith at all to me.

But it isn't just that type of thing that rings those bells for me. I often see other circumstances that give me the same type of thoughts...and this is where the cynicism part comes in.

For example, I've got a friend/guy I know, and he's pretty unattractive. He's always been pretty irreligious. I mean, to the best of my knowledge he's never been an atheist. But, religion has never really been a part of his life. I've known him and his family for quite some time, and church going, faith, etc...just has never been a part of their lives.

About six months ago he got his first girlfriend, ever. I started seeing all these posts from him on FB with some new girl, all the new-first-relationship professing about how perfect for each other they are, how much they're in love, etc... So I checked her out. Her tagline is something about how she's a daughter of Christ, etc etc. That's cool, but have to admit my first thought was "Ahhh, got with a holy roller!"

Then recently there was a post about how he got baptized.

And have to admit, my first thought was "ahhhh, she got ya to do that."

Now, I suppose you could argue that she showed him the truth, assisted in his move toward Christ, etc etc... All of which could be possible. But, my view of human nature is different. I don't share that rosy outlook on how people evolve. Rather, I think people assess themselves, they pick the things they value and then they do the things they think will help protect it. Like in this instance, I would not at all be surprised if the calculation went along the lines of "I haven't had a lot of luck with women, I've got something now and I don't want to lose it, it means a lot to her, I'm not an atheist, so what's the harm?"

And if that's the case, doesn't it fall into the same sort of camp as the "I'm hedging my bets by believing"?

Dunno. What do you think? Do you think I'm completely off base? lol Am I wrong to kind of wince when I see all of these people congratulating him on his move to Christ, etc?

Reactions: akmom

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dunno. What do you think? Do you think I'm completely off base? lol Am I wrong to kind of wince when I see all of these people congratulating him on his move to Christ, etc?
  1. God frequently uses such attraction to draw people into church, where they get saved. (But we still should not be "unequally yoked" unto that purpose, per 2 Corinthians 6:14.)
  2. Mental assent is not the same as surrender. In the military, you might acknowledge that a man is A captain, but if you do not acknowledge him as YOUR captain (by obeying his orders), you will be in big trouble...!
James 2:19 says,
"You believe that there is one God. You do well. [But] Even the demons believe—and tremble!"

And Jesus likened such assent to "stony" and "thorny" ground in the Parable of the Sower.

Jesus' yoke is easy (and His burden is light), but it is still a yoke.
----------------------------
"No matter how hard you push the envelope, it remains stationery...!"​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've got a friend/guy I know, and he's pretty unattractive. He's always been pretty irreligious.
recently there was a post about how he got baptized.[/QUOTE]

How well do you know him?
Well enough to ring him and ask him about getting baptised and why he did it?

It's that or start attending the church he and his girlfriend does to see how he behaves and arrange to hang out with him durring the week.

Upvote 0

akmom

Jun 13, 2012
U.S.
✟23,005.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think there's a fair chance he is doing it for this girl, and also a good chance he doesn't realize his own motives. I guess you'll only really know by what path he takes if they break up.

Or, should they ultimately marry, by his involvement in his church when he is no longer wooing her.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Isn't the whole concept of Christianity that bad people are not punished for being bad? Because all are equally bad in the eyes of God? That we are far too concerned about the splinters in the eye of another while ignoring the planks in ours? That the rapist is no more deserving of hell than you or me? That it's only by accepting Christ as your savior that we obtain salvation, and that opportunity is equally available to all, regardless of their actions?

Upvote 0