Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, folks....time for some fun! Let's play NAME THAT HERESY!:D I will give a brief example of a person's belief on something, and the first one to correctly identify the heresy from which the belief derived wins the round. I haven't figured out what sort of prize there should be. I'm open to ideas.

Also, I will get the ball rolling with a few examples, but someone else is welcome to jump in with other examples/scenarios.

ROUND #1:

Aunt Mildred has decided she wants to be cremated when she dies. Her reason is that there is really no value to the human body, it's nothing more than a shell for our spirit to live in. Because of this, it may as well be destroyed once she's dead.

Okay....NAME THIS HERESY!:D

PS: If you want to brush up on the options for heresies, check the link in my other "Info. on heresies?" thread.;)

Enjoy.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ROUND #1:

Aunt Mildred has decided she wants to be cremated when she dies. Her reason is that there is really no value to the human body, it's nothing more than a shell for our spirit to live in. Because of this, it may as well be destroyed once she's dead.
What is Arianism?

Upvote 0
ROUND #1:

Gnostic - specifically docetism.

My turn...

Bill beleives that Jesus was just a man and through his own efforts overcame sin. Because of this - we too can overcome sin without external help.

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

My turn...

Bill beleives that Jesus was just a man and through his own efforts overcame sin. Because of this - we too can overcome sin without external help.
DING DING DING! This is correct! Actually, I'm thinking it could be either dualism or docetism, but the main thing I was looking for was Gnosticism. It's interesting how prevalent Gnosticism still is.

Upvote 0

Emmanuel-A

Cedant arma togae, concedat laurea linguae
Mar 11, 2005
Paris
✟10,084.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

My turn...

Hmm :scratch:

Pelagianism ?

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Round #2:

Aunt Sally goes to a "Spirit filled" charismatic church. Her particular church teaches that the Holy Spirit is regularly giving people new revelations, and also teaches that "traditional" churches are dead and cold.

Name this heresy!:)

Upvote 0
Round #2:

Aunt Sally goes to a "Spirit filled" charismatic church. Her particular church teaches that the Holy Spirit is regularly giving people new revelations, and also teaches that "traditional" churches are dead and cold.

Name this heresy!
:)

montanism

Differences between Montanism and orthodox Christianity

The beliefs of Montanism contrasted with orthodox Christianity in the following ways:
  • The belief that the prophecies of the Montanists superseded and fulfilled the doctrines proclaimed by the Apostles.
  • The encouragement of ecstatic prophesying, contrasting with the more sober and disciplined approach to theology dominant in orthodox Christianity at the time and since.
  • The view that Christians who fell from grace could not be redeemed, also in contrast to the orthodox Christian view that contrition could lead to a sinner's restoration to the church.
  • The prophets of Montanism did not speak as messengers of God: "Thus saith the Lord," but rather described themselves as possessed by God, and spoke in his person. "I am the Father, the Word, and the Paraclete," said Montanus (Didymus, De Trinitate, III, xli); This possession by a spirit, which spoke while the prophet was incapable of resisting, is described by the spirit of Montanus: "Behold the man is like a lyre, and I dart like the plectrum. The man sleeps, and I am awake" (Epiphanius, "Panarion", xlviii, 4).
  • A stronger emphasis on the avoidance of sin and church discipline than in orthodox Christianity. They emphasized chastity, including forbidding remarriage.
  • Some of the Montanists were also "Quartodeciman" ("fourteeners"), preferring to celebrate Easter on the Hebrew calendar date of 14 Nisan, regardless of what day of the week it landed on. The orthodoxy held that Easter should be commemorated on the Sunday following 14 Nisan. (Trevett 1996:202)
Jerome and other church leaders claimed that the Montanists of their own day held the belief that the Trinity consisted of only a single person, similar to Sabellianism, as opposed to the orthodox view that the Trinity is one God of three persons which Tertullian also had held. There were some that were indeed modalistic monarchians (Sabellians) and some that were closer to the Trinitarian doctrine. It is reported that these modalists baptized mentioning the name of Jesus Christ as opposed to mentioning the Trinity. Most of the later Montanists were of the modalistic camp.[citation needed]

(insteresting to note the oneness movment in the pentecostals)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
whoop!

Here is one...

Joey believes that Christ is the true perfect God and came to save us from the punishment of the wrathful deity who originally introduced us into this imperfect world. Salvation consists of being delivered from punishment of the "father" and is gained by accepting special knowledge of Jesus.

And here is a hum dinger.....

Bobby believes in a pre-milenial rapture and a literal 1000 year reign of Christ on earth before the final judgement. (ouch) - Bonus points of you can identify the line in the Nicene creed that directly counters this belief. (double ouch)

ok... that was two..

Upvote 0

Emmanuel-A

Cedant arma togae, concedat laurea linguae
Mar 11, 2005
Paris
✟10,084.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
whoop!

Here is one...

Joey believes that Christ is the true perfect God and came to save us from the punishment of the wrathful deity who originally introduced us into this imperfect world. Salvation consists of being delivered from punishment of the "father" and is gained by accepting special knowledge of Jesus.

I would call it the theology of satisfaction, but I don't know the "ism" word.

And here is a hum dinger.....

Bobby believes in a pre-milenial rapture and a literal 1000 year reign of Christ on earth before the final judgement. (ouch) - Bonus points of you can identify the line in the Nicene creed that directly counters this belief. (double ouch)

ok... that was two..

Hmm, Chilliasm ?

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about if Aunt Sally believes that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are only aspects of a single entity ?
This seems like either Unitarianism or the Sabellian heresy. I'll go with the first one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Hmm, Chilliasm ?
got it.

Sabellianism. But eoe makes me doubt myself with modalism
perhaps it is the way it is worded...
I would call it the theology of satisfaction, but I don't know the "ism" word.
That is pure hardcore ultra gnosticism my friend.

A typological model: the main features of gnosticism

Though difficulties have arisen in offering a definitive, categorical definition of Gnosticism (see below), various strategies have been employed in overcoming the problem, with varying degrees of success. It is therefore appropriate to offer a typological model of those ancient philosophical movements typically called Gnostic; the model offered is adapted from Christoph Markschies' version, as described in 'Gnosis: An Introduction'.
Gnostic systems are typically marked by:
  1. The notion of a remote, supreme and incomprehensible monadic divinity - this figure is known under a variety of names, including 'Pleroma' and 'Bythos' (Greek 'deep');
  2. The introduction by emanation of further divine beings, which are nevertheless identifiable as aspects of the God from which they proceeded; the progressive emanations are often conceived metaphorically as a gradual and progressive distancing from the ultimate source, which brings about an instability in the fabric of the divine nature;
  3. The subsequent identification of the Fall of Man as an occurrence with its ultimate foundations within divinity itself, rather than as occurring either entirely or indeed partially through human agency; this stage in the divine emanation is usually enacted through the recurrent Gnostic figure of Sophia (Greek 'Wisdom'), whose presence in a wide variety of Gnostic texts is indicative of her central importance;
  4. The introduction of a distinct creator god, who is named as in the Platonist tradition demiurgos.
    Evidence exists that the conception of the demiurge has derivation from figures in Plato's Timaeus and Republic. In the former, the demiurge is the benevolent creator of the universe from pre-existent matter, to whose limitations he is enthralled in creating the cosmos; in the latter, the description of the leontomorphic 'desire' in Socrates' model of the psyche bears a strong resemblance to descriptions of the demiurge as being in the shape of the lion.
    Elsewhere this figure is called 'Ialdabaoth', 'Samael' (Aramaic sæmʕa-ʔel, 'blind god') or 'Saklas' (Syriac sækla, 'the foolish one'), who is sometimes ignorant of the superior God, and sometimes opposed to it; thus in the latter case he is correspondingly malevolent.
    The demiurge typically creates a group of coactors named 'Archons', who preside over the material realm and, in some cases, present obstacles to the soul seeking ascent from it;
  5. The estimation of the world, owing to the above, as flawed or a production of 'error' but nevertheless as good as its constituent material might allow. This world is typically an inferior simulacrum of a higher-level reality or consciousness. The inferiority may be compared to the technical inferiority of a painting, sculpture, or other handicraft to the thing(s) those crafts are supposed to be a representation of. In certain other cases it is also perceived as evil and constrictive, a deliberate prison for its inhabitants;
  6. The explanation of this state through the use of a complex mythological-cosmological drama in which a divine element 'falls' into the material realm and lodges itself within certain human beings; from here, it may be returned to the divine realm through a process of awakening. It may be noted that the salvation of the individual thus mirrors a concurrent restoration of the divine nature; a central Gnostic innovation was to elevate individual redemption to the level of a cosmically significant event;
  7. Knowledge of a specific kind as a central factor in this process of restoration, achieved through the mediation of a redeemer figure (Christ, or, in other cases, Seth or Sophia).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.