Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, drive out demons. Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give. ". --Matthew 10:18

Here's a list of great quotes from the late, great Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen on charity: Fulton J. Sheen Quotes About Charity | A-Z Quotes

I offer all this up for everyone struggling to understand how much they are to give, and for those whose love of the things of this world holds them back from serving God as we should.

THE PRAYER,
TO GIVE AND NOT TO COUNT THE COST
(By Saint Ignatius of Loyola)

Teach us, good Lord,
to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labour and not to ask for any reward,
save that of knowing that we do your will.

Amen.

May the Good Lord shower us all with uncountable blessings, and may we have the grace to be open to receiving His gifts! Have peace & pray!

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Teach us to give & not count the cost...

I posted all this as part of my fasting & devotions before Mass today, and offered up the Mass for greater charity, especially for those who read this post. Surprise, surprise, God made sure I was the one affected by it!

Teach us to give & not count the cost is a phrase I'm very familiar with, because it shows up every Lent & for every Church fundraiser at my home parish. But how to actually live it?

Today, I didn't know how much money was in my wallet. I considered pulling out my usual 10%, but wanting to give without counting, I did it in a more literal sense than I have before; I held the wallet under my hat, pulled out the bills, and put them in the collection basket without looking to see what I gave. (I say all this with the intention of giving glory to God & the incredible ways He's opened me up to His blessings!)

God has really helped me be charitable this weekend, and I'd like to say "Thank you" publicly to all those who have helped open me up to this charity, Ven. Fulton J. Sheen & St. Ignatius in particular. I'd also like to share my recent post, Prayers for Chicago, and please join me in praying that people everywhere will be filled with greater generosity as a result! You have no clue what kind of chain reaction will happen from great works of charity, or even small works with great love,

Spirit of Charity, fill us all! Spirit of Truth, teach us all! Spirit of Hope, may we never give up on our selfish brothers & sisters! Have peace & pray!

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0