Full immersion or font baptism for an adult?

MaryMadeleine

Aug 11, 2019
Norfolk
✟9,950.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

So, I just wanted to share that since recently finding my faith over the last few months, I attended my first church service last Sunday and felt so accepted and welcomed!

I didn't grow up in a religious household although if asked, my mother would say she was Christian as she did believe in God. Sadly she died two years ago but I wish I had found my faith sooner to be able to share things with her.

My query is this; I would really like to get baptised and have enquired about adult baptisms at my church and they conduct a full immersion and a font baptism. As an adult, can I just ask if there is one option more suitable than another? I did read somewhere that immersion for an adult was better to wash ALL of your sins away but I'm not sure if this was a personal opinion or if this is confirmed?

Has anyone else been baptised as an adult? What method did you choose and why?

Many thanks and God bless!

Kris Jordan

Acts 4:12
May 1, 2019
Southern California
Visit site
✟46,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

So, I just wanted to share that since recently finding my faith over the last few months, I attended my first church service last Sunday and felt so accepted and welcomed!

I didn't grow up in a religious household although if asked, my mother would say she was Christian as she did believe in God. Sadly she died two years ago but I wish I had found my faith sooner to be able to share things with her.

My query is this; I would really like to get baptised and have enquired about adult baptisms at my church and they conduct a full immersion and a font baptism. As an adult, can I just ask if there is one option more suitable than another? I did read somewhere that immersion for an adult was better to wash ALL of your sins away but I'm not sure if this was a personal opinion or if this is confirmed?

Hi MaryMadeleine,

Welcome to the family of believers in Jesus Christ!

Remember, Jesus washes our sins away through His shed blood, not through the waters of baptism. The act of baptism is symbolic of dying to ourselves and our sinful way of life and being raised to new life in Him. So baptism is typically done with the full body being "laid down" into the water (which symbolizes our death to our old ways/life before trusting Jesus for salvation) and then we are "raised up" out of the water (which symbolizes being raised with Christ into newness of life through faith in Him).

• Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin. Romans 6:3-7 (NASB)

• In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. Colossians 2:11-14 (NKJV)

• Friendly
Reactions: MaryMadeleine
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi all!

Baptism means immersion, so that is the only proper mode. The greatest example of immersion is Jesus' own baptism, which the gospel accounts state that he came out of the water in the Jordan river.

I was sprinkled as an infant, but when I truly understood the gospel and believed I was immersed in my mid-teens.

Upvote 0

MaryMadeleine

Aug 11, 2019
Norfolk
✟9,950.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many thanks to you all! I am in the UK so they refer to baptism for both immersion and sprinkling at the font. I wasn't sure which was the most appropriate option for an adult but it sounds as though full immersion may be the best :)

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many thanks to you all! I am in the UK so they refer to baptism for both immersion and sprinkling at the font. I wasn't sure which was the most appropriate option for an adult but it sounds as though full immersion may be the best :)
Please read Romans 6 and see what else besides remission for past sins happens at our "immersion" in Jesus' name.
V 3...we are inserted into Christ. (Look how many verses in the NT have "in Christ" in them !)
V 3...we are immersed into Christ's death. (taking part in His death)
V 4...We are buried with Him and raised with Him to walk in newness of life...(Rebirth!)
V 5...If we are "planted together" we will be raised together with Him, to walk in new life. (Sprinkling doesn't approximate burial).
V 6...We have crucified the old man, our old selves, and need not serve the old man, with his vile affections and lusts, (Gal 5:24), ever again.
V 7...We are freed from sin.
Ever thought about really being a non-sinner?
That is the church Jesus is coming back for.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Full Immersion isn't just best, its the only method that is acceptable to God. Like someone who previously responded said, it is symbolic of dying to your old self and rising up in the newness of life. Being buried with him in baptism as the apostle Paul says. So sprinkling is totally inappropriate because it is not biblical, no example of it happening in the bible and it also cannot meet the symbolism.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi all!

Typically a church that offers both baptism by immersion and by pouring hence the font, the same church probably teaches that baptism is more than just symbolic but is efficacious in administrating the promises of baptism by applying the words of God that is pronounced upon you through baptism. Which would make either style of baptism proper and of the choice of the recipient. It would probably be best to discuss this with the pastor of this church.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

Most churches don't offer you a choice, but either way does the same thing.

Some people and churches think that immersion replicates the idea of being buried with Christ and rising like he did, but when he was baptized himself by John (which is often seen a forerunner of Christian baptism), he probably wasn't immersed himself and he never gave any instructions on how the water is to hit you when you are baptized, so.... :)

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Full Immersion isn't just best, its the only method that is acceptable to God. Like someone who previously responded said, it is symbolic of dying to your old self and rising up in the newness of life. Being buried with him in baptism as the apostle Paul says. So sprinkling is totally inappropriate because it is not biblical, no example of it happening in the bible and it also cannot meet the symbolism.
If my post #6 was the "previous", water baptism isn't a symbol of our death, burial, and resurrection with Christ to walk in newness of life, it is actual. (Rom 6:3-7)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Apostolic standard since the first century has been to baptize by full immersion in a river if possible, by full immersion in a pond or font if a river is not possible, and by sprinkling if there is no way to immerse a person.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Apostolic standard since the first century has been to baptize by full immersion in a river if possible, by full immersion in a pond or font if a river is not possible, and by sprinkling if there is no way to immerse a person.
"Standard" is a rather imprecise term. But we do know that people were baptized by immersion in the early church...and also by having water poured over them.

Upvote 0