California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
The congregation-wide guidelines currently state the following:

MEMBERSHIP

Only those who agree with a congregational forum’s Statement of Faith may post as members of that forum. Statements of Faith are found in the congregational forum’s forum-specific guidelines (FSGs), found at the top of each specific forum.

All are welcome to post in fellowship (see below for definition).

Those who do not agree with the congregational forum’s Statement of Faith may not debate or post teaching or instruction posts. NOTE: Some forums may allow more debate by non-members than others. If so, it will be stated in their forum-specific guidelines (FSGs).

In general, questions asked in a congregation’s forum should be answered only by members of that forum.

Based on this anyone who agrees with the statement of faith is considered a member and can post teaching or instruction posts.

Since we are working on the FSG's right now, I would like to clarify this so that we only need to make changes once.

Do we want to identify members by their post content (in other words they don't post against the SOF) or by their icon?

If we chose to limit this by icon, then which ones are considered Pentecostal?
For instance WOF is technically Pentecostal, but has it's own icon. Can they post teaching posts here or is the Pentecostal icon the only one allowed?

If multiple icons are considered Pentecostal, which ones do we want to allow?

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
The congregation-wide guidelines currently state the following:

Based on this anyone who agrees with the statement of faith is considered a member and can post teaching or instruction posts.

Since we are working on the FSG's right now, I would like to clarify this so that we only need to make changes once.

Do we want to identify members by their post content (in other words they don't post against the SOF) or by their icon?

If we chose to limit this by icon, then which ones are considered Pentecostal?
For instance WOF is technically Pentecostal, but has it's own icon. Can they post teaching posts here or is the Pentecostal icon the only one allowed?

If multiple icons are considered Pentecostal, which ones do we want to allow?

I'm answering this because I need to see this through before I can finish leaving.

For now I have to say JUST with the Pentecostal icon because this IS a PENTECOSTAL forum. The others can speak in their own forum if they choose. Wasn't that the purpose of all the divisions? Should we be able to go there and teach according to the thinking of Pentecostal which is impossible to be both WoF and non- WoF? I think it's a safe bet it wouldn't last long before there would be a problem. So if all applies everywhere ... why even have the division? ... why not just call it "AFREEFORALL" Those forums chose and fought for the rights they wanted. . The right to believe the way they feel. We should be entitled to the same courtesy.

We definitely can't have other denominations teaching here or we need to remove the Pentecostal name from the title. I would never presume to go to another forum and teach them like that. For example I'd be stupid to go to the Catholic forum and start teaching. Do we know the same God? Yes. Do we follow the same doctrine? No. And what happens when the person comes along (and there are denominations such) that don't believe the Holy Ghost is present today.

When someone refuses to identify their faith it can only be for a few reasons ... for example ... one would be to move from forum to forum teaching ... which means it's one man's teaching. The Pentecostal as other denominations AS A WHOLE believe these things with a few minor differences. As for non-denomination ... well, they have their forum as well. And by sheer definition non-denom means non-Pentecostal. And just using Christian as your icon doesn't work, either. Everyone on the site clainming their denomination is Christian. Everyone who believes in Christ and walks to the best of their ability is a Christian. So if they can teach hear ... just open the door ... or better yet, remove it. I don't mean to be sarcastic. I'm just trying to make my case. I was baptized in the Assembly of God church. It's Pentecostal. Why wouldn't I feel this way. For a year this forum has graciously welcomed all. It was never a problem in here until someone wanted it their way according to no one's rules but their own.

I absolutely believe the right thing to teach in this forum should be the same right afforded the Pentecostal church. Not any pastor can walk in there and just start teaching. If we aren't going to abide by the faith and what it represents ... why even bother.

I'm only speaking about the teaching issue.

The debate issue is seperate as I read the op?

Reactions: byhisstripes
Upvote 0

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Yes this is about teaching only. :)

I was specifically asking about other Pentecostal groups such as WOF. We are Pentecostal. One of our heros is Smith Wigglesworth who is Pentecostal.

Or are you defining Pentecostal as AOG only. I'm just trying to clarify exactly what you all want.

Upvote 0

Redheadedstepchild

Child of God
Site Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
2 weeks from everywhere
✟69,214.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
I posted in the other FSG thread but I guess I should have put it here. We mod on content. Posts that teach against the SoF are clearly in violation. Currently we can't require someone to wear a pentecostal icon in order to teach here but posts that are in violation (say, go against initial evidences) will not be allowed regardless. This actually could work in the forum's favor as you could have people who change their icons just so they can post, and then post against the SoF - it's been known to happen.

Upvote 0

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is why when we went through and updated all the FSGs earlier this year, we tried very hard to make sure the Statement of Faith (SoF) in your FSGs contained everything that made you distinctively and uniquely Pentecostal. It is by that SoF that the mods can judge whether someone is posting within the limits of this forum, or contrary to it.

We can no longer require icons for membership. As Redheadedstepchild said, people can change their icons as they will, and we will NOT go back to the "icon wars" where staff were put in the position of trying to decide whether someone deserved to wear this icon or that. Faith icons are extra information, but we cannot use them to moderate.

So we moderate based primarily on the content of the post. And membership is determined not by an icon, but by whether a person agrees to the SoF of the forum. Membership very clearly allows someone to teach, debate, and discuss. Non-members are limited to fellowship posts. This is outlined in the Congregation-wide Guidelines and apply to every Congregational forum.

This is the default for a Congregational forum. You may allow more debate by non-members.. some forums have debate subforums specifically for that, and others have a gracious invitation to non-members to "polite debate", but the mods are quick to step in when it becomes impolite. There are many options you can have, within the framework of the Congregation-wide Guidelines, and the Pentecostal-specific Statement of Faith in your FSGs.

Reactions: rmw8855
Upvote 0

Wade Smith

Aug 5, 2008
L.A.
✟1,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would never presume to go to another forum and teach them like that. For example I'd be stupid to go to the Catholic forum and start teaching. Do we know the same God? Yes. Do we follow the same doctrine? No. And what happens when the person comes along (and there are denominations such) that don't believe the Holy Ghost is present today.

It would be smart to go to other forums and start teaching, particularly on the baptism of the Holy Spirit, with evidence of tongues, which they deny to their own hurt.

In the Bible, we see believers in the book of acts, and the apostles are speaking to them and asking about the Holy Spirit, and they are like, "We haven't even heard of the Holy Spirit."

Well, those people need to hear about the baptism of the Holy Spirit now more than ever.

When someone refuses to identify their faith it can only be for a few reasons ... for example ... one would be to move from forum to forum teaching ... which means it's one man's teaching. The Pentecostal as other denominations AS A WHOLE believe these things with a few minor differences. As for non-denomination ... well, they have their forum as well. And by sheer definition non-denom means non-Pentecostal.

See, no it doesn't. I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit with evidence of tongues for half my life now, am I not allowed to teach or to debate?

"I speak in tongues more than you all."

Second work of grace? LoL. More like infinite works of grace. Every time the Spirit moves it is a work of grace.

I preach the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and more importantly I preach Jesus Christ Crucified, because without Christ Crucified I am a dead man.

But the number 1 reason I identify myself as "non-denominational" is for just this reason. I'm tired of being labeled by what a denomination does or does not teach, or being told that I have to sign a statement of faith to be allowed to teach somewhere, then getting banned or censored over technicalities.

It so happens that I agree with everything in this particular forums official "forum specific guidelines" (at least the current version as of the time I'm writing this,) but the problem is, if I were to say, "I agree with that" and put an icon by my name or sign some sheet or whatever, and it's later changed with or without my knowledge, then It looks bad on me.

And just using Christian as your icon doesn't work, either. Everyone on the site clainming their denomination is Christian. Everyone who believes in Christ and walks to the best of their ability is a Christian. So if they can teach hear ... just open the door ... or better yet, remove it. I don't mean to be sarcastic. I'm just trying to make my case. I was baptized in the Assembly of God church. It's Pentecostal. Why wouldn't I feel this way. For a year this forum has graciously welcomed all. It was never a problem in here until someone wanted it their way according to no one's rules but their own.

I was first baptized in the ticfaw river, and I was too young to even know what a denomination was, and thank God for that, but I was definitely already born again by then. I don't think it matters where someone was baptized. Whether in a ditch, or in a river, whether in a hole in the wall church, or in the biggest, holiest church of them all. "Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel..."

I absolutely believe the right thing to teach in this forum should be the same right afforded the Pentecostal church. Not any pastor can walk in there and just start teaching. If we aren't going to abide by the faith and what it represents ... why even bother.

What faith are you talking about?

Are you talking about "the faith" of Jesus Christ?

or are you talking about "the faith" in a man made creed or denomination?

Very subtle indeed.

We say, "a man is justified by faith, without the works of the law," yet we turn around and slap a few laws of our own on them.

"Jump through two hoops and over a hurdle, and by the way, if you slip up and sin, you're disqualified for two years..."

when "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God."

and "Let him that is without sin cast the first stone."

Do you know that the Azusa revival, where the Baptism of the Holy Spirit was first restored in modern times, looked absolutely nothing like any of the "pentecostal" or "apostolic" churches today? In fact, that was exactly what they were getting away from: denomination creeds. They began to read the book of acts, and 1 corinthians, and simply seek God for it.

Frank Bartleman, one of the pastors, later wrote the book "Azusa Street", in which he stated, "the biggest mistake they made was putting a name on the building," or words to that effect. Though that happened several years after the fact. Why? Because it turned "pentecost" back into just another denomination.

Now, once again, we aren't allowed to preach in church because you have to go through so much red tape before anyone will allow you to do anything, that is, except pay tithe and offering, those are always welcome.

But if a person wants to do anything besides sit on a pew and pay tithe and offering, they are expected to go to bible colleges for years on end, and sign their name to all sorts of oaths to be bound by to denominations and individual congregations. Then, if the church or denomination don't recognize the bible college/seminary or other ordaining body, then they aren't going to let you do anything anyway.

"...them that were entering in ye hindered."

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
It would be smart to go to other forums and start teaching, particularly on the baptism of the Holy Spirit, with evidence of tongues, which they deny to their own hurt.

In the Bible, we see believers in the book of acts, and the apostles are speaking to them and asking about the Holy Spirit, and they are like, "We haven't even heard of the Holy Spirit."

Well, those people need to hear about the baptism of the Holy Spirit now more than ever.

See, no it doesn't. I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit with evidence of tongues for half my life now, am I not allowed to teach or to debate?

"I speak in tongues more than you all."

Second work of grace? LoL. More like infinite works of grace. Every time the Spirit moves it is a work of grace.

I preach the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and more importantly I preach Jesus Christ Crucified, because without Christ Crucified I am a dead man.

But the number 1 reason I identify myself as "non-denominational" is for just this reason. I'm tired of being labeled by what a denomination does or does not teach, or being told that I have to sign a statement of faith to be allowed to teach somewhere, then getting banned or censored over technicalities.

It so happens that I agree with everything in this particular forums official "forum specific guidelines" (at least the current version as of the time I'm writing this,) but the problem is, if I were to say, "I agree with that" and put an icon by my name or sign some sheet or whatever, and it's later changed with or without my knowledge, then It looks bad on me.

I was first baptized in the ticfaw river, and I was too young to even know what a denomination was, and thank God for that, but I was definitely already born again by then. I don't think it matters where someone was baptized. Whether in a ditch, or in a river, whether in a hole in the wall church, or in the biggest, holiest church of them all. "Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel..."

What faith are you talking about?

Are you talking about "the faith" of Jesus Christ?

or are you talking about "the faith" in a man made creed or denomination?

Very subtle indeed.

We say, "a man is justified by faith, without the works of the law," yet we turn around and slap a few laws of our own on them.

"Jump through two hoops and over a hurdle, and by the way, if you slip up and sin, you're disqualified for two years..."

when "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God."

and "Let him that is without sin cast the first stone."

Do you know that the Azusa revival, where the Baptism of the Holy Spirit was first restored in modern times, looked absolutely nothing like any of the "pentecostal" or "apostolic" churches today? In fact, that was exactly what they were getting away from: denomination creeds. They began to read the book of acts, and 1 corinthians, and simply seek God for it.

Frank Bartleman, one of the pastors, later wrote the book "Azusa Street", in which he stated, "the biggest mistake they made was putting a name on the building," or words to that effect. Though that happened several years after the fact. Why? Because it turned "pentecost" back into just another denomination.

Now, once again, we aren't allowed to preach in church because you have to go through so much red tape before anyone will allow you to do anything, that is, except pay tithe and offering, those are always welcome.

But if a person wants to do anything besides sit on a pew and pay tithe and offering, they are expected to go to bible colleges for years on end, and sign their name to all sorts of oaths to be bound by to denominations and individual congregations. Then, if the church or denomination don't recognize the bible college/seminary or other ordaining body, then they aren't going to let you do anything anyway.

"...them that were entering in ye hindered."

welcome to the world of ignore, Mr. Smith

Upvote 0

byhisstripes

pull up a chair ... coffee's on ...
Nov 27, 2007
past Idaho through the mountains
✟61,184.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When someone refuses to identify their faith it can only be for a few reasons ... for example ... one would be to move from forum to forum teaching ... which means it's one man's teaching. The Pentecostal as other denominations AS A WHOLE believe these things with a few minor differences. As for non-denomination ... well, they have their forum as well. And by sheer definition non-denom means non-Pentecostal.
:amen:!
What faith are you talking about? Pentecostal

"I speak in tongues more than you all." thats cool good for you, why did you even mention it? So go speak in toungues I don't and lilmiss doesn't but others on our forum does but they don't mention it, at least not in the way you just did. Speaking in toungues was not given so we can go make remarkes like that. If thats what its used for than I don't want it anyways!

Actually I believe it to be inapropriate to go to a baptist forum and start preaching on this subject because they believe that it was for back then not for now days. Do I agree NO do I speak in toungues NO and Im ok with that. Like wise going to a Catholic forum and doing this is not just disrespectful but to think that one is just going to "welcome" one who just SHOWS up with out any hellos or introducing of ones self and just start "teaching" that they believe contruary to the forums belief and expects the people to acctpt and listen to them is asinine (?sp)or.... CRAZY!
~thanks and God bless~

Upvote 0

Wade Smith

Aug 5, 2008
L.A.
✟1,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
welcome to the world of ignore, Mr. Smith

And what did I say that warrants an ignore?

If the only people you ever preach to about the baptism of the Holy Spirit are your own denomination, then how in the world do you expect anyone else to get it?

And as for the last comment I made at the end, if you take it personal, well, that's between you and God, it was more or less meant in reference to all denominations and creeds, not just Assemblies of God.

If you haven't yet put me on the ignore list, then at least address the issue. I'm sure if I did something terrible enough to you personally to warrent being ignored by you, then you can take the time to point it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wade Smith

Aug 5, 2008
L.A.
✟1,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"I speak in tongues more than you all." thats cool good for you, why did you even mention it? So go speak in toungues I don't and lilmiss doesn't but others on our forum does but they don't mention it, at least not in the way you just did. Speaking in toungues was not given so we can go make remarkes like that. If thats what its used for than I don't want it anyways!

You misunderstood why I said that, but then again, I expected people who were in a denomination that at least used to teach on the baptism, well, to have it.

Paul made that remark first, I just quoted it to make a point that I believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, not as a "bragging", but the truth is, Paul was bragging, and so was I. "But I boast in the Lord". Not that I did anything to deserve it, but God did.

1 Corinthians 14:18:

18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Actually I believe it to be inapropriate to go to a baptist forum and start preaching on this subject because they believe that it was for back then not for now days. Do I agree NO do I speak in toungues NO and Im ok with that. Like wise going to a Catholic forum and doing this is not just disrespectful but to think that one is just going to "welcome" one who just SHOWS up with out any hellos or introducing of ones self and just start "teaching" that they believe contruary to the forums belief and expects the people to acctpt and listen to them is asinine (?sp)or.... CRAZY!
~thanks and God bless~

No crazier than preaching to an atheist about Jesus.

Upvote 0

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
This is why when we went through and updated all the FSGs earlier this year, we tried very hard to make sure the Statement of Faith (SoF) in your FSGs contained everything that made you distinctively and uniquely Pentecostal. It is by that SoF that the mods can judge whether someone is posting within the limits of this forum, or contrary to it.

We can no longer require icons for membership. As Redheadedstepchild said, people can change their icons as they will, and we will NOT go back to the "icon wars" where staff were put in the position of trying to decide whether someone deserved to wear this icon or that. Faith icons are extra information, but we cannot use them to moderate.

So we moderate based primarily on the content of the post. And membership is determined not by an icon, but by whether a person agrees to the SoF of the forum. Membership very clearly allows someone to teach, debate, and discuss. Non-members are limited to fellowship posts. This is outlined in the Congregation-wide Guidelines and apply to every Congregational forum.

This is the default for a Congregational forum. You may allow more debate by non-members.. some forums have debate subforums specifically for that, and others have a gracious invitation to non-members to "polite debate", but the mods are quick to step in when it becomes impolite. There are many options you can have, within the framework of the Congregation-wide Guidelines, and the Pentecostal-specific Statement of Faith in your FSGs.

Thank you for the clarification Synger.

We can not require posters to have a specific icon. However, we can and do require that posters not post anything which is against the Pentecostal SOF.

If you see any posts which you think are not in agreement with the SOF you can report them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Mod Hat

This thread was to discuss the possibility of restricting who can teach in this forum.

Synger has graciously come in to explain how the congregational guidelines and the FSG's apply to that.

I am closing this thread since the question has been answered.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.