Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Hello, my name is Robin and I am one the Administrators (FreeinChrist is the other one) over the Congregational forums.

One of my goals this year is to meet with all of the forums to discuss their FSG's and any concerns we have about the specific forums.

Your FSG's are the heart of your forum and I hope by discussing them, I can get a better understanding of this forum and its members so that I can become a more effective Administrator for the area.

Do you feel the FSG's accurately describe the purpose of your forum? Does anything need to be added, deleted or changed to make them better?

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I came into WWMC, and stayed, because of its unique FSGs. It's a valuable part of CF and I hope it can keep its value.

Over the last 3 months, the group has had some challenges with visitors not respecting the FSGs in a couple of areas:

-- radical inclusiveness
-- polite conversation
-- doctrinal humility
-- rejection of division
and
-- the WWMC-specific embracing of all people whatever their sexual orientation or identity, and without intention to change them.

We have lost some members as a result of this. And have become the poorer for it.

I'm not an original member of the group, but still happily affirm the FSGs as they stand.
I might add a statement [that] explicitly addresses moderate and conservative Christians members, and also nonChristians and nonreligious members -- we have some wonderful regular posters who self-identify as such, and I'd support an FSG amendment that recognizes them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sitswithamouse

I look Time Lord
Mar 6, 2005
Devon, UK
✟13,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
and
-- the WWMC-specific embracing of all people whatever their sexual orientation or identity, and without intention to change them.

We have lost some members as a result of this. And have become the poorer for it.

This is high on my priority list.
The FSG states that Homosexuality is not to be debated here and yet I have seen this rule broken time and time again by some . The drive by comments on this subject are also wearisome.

I am saddened that some members have left because of this , and this is the one place that is supposed to be a safe haven for our LGBT brothers and sisters.

I hope the rules can be clarified so that someday they will come back and feel safe to discuss their lives and hopes and dreams without having to defend themselves constantly from unwanted attacks.

Upvote 0

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I might add a statement explicitly addresses moderate and conservative Christians members, and also nonChristians and nonreligious members -- we have some wonderful regular posters who self-identify as such, and I'd support an FSG amendment that recognizes them.

Agreed. "Whosoever" should not just be in our forum title, but should be a specifically protected ideal.

We really mean "Whosoever."

Upvote 0

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The FSG states that Homosexuality is not to be debated here . . .

I believe the rule is worded that we can't discuss the morality of homosexuality. I agree with this rule.

However, I'm against banning the topic altogether. What if someone is speaking about the fact they are gay, and -poof- their post gets deleted for breaking a rule about not discussing homosexuality. I don't think that's too fair.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Just out of curiosity . . .

If the congregational area were to enact an overall rule that only Christians may post, where would that leave WWMC?

Would we be booted into some obscure subforum?

Forgive me for bringing up a conspiracy theory, but I've been here long enough to see more than a few instances of shennanigans regarding forums being swept under the rug.

I hope this FSG discussion is not for the purpose of laying the groundwork to remove us from the congregational area.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Sitswithamouse

I look Time Lord
Mar 6, 2005
Devon, UK
✟13,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I believe the rule is worded that we can't discuss the morality of homosexuality. I agree with this rule.

However, I'm against banning the topic altogether. What if someone is speaking about the fact they are gay, and -poof- their post gets deleted for breaking a rule about not discussing homosexuality. I don't think that's too fair.

Just a thought.
No probs.
Maybe I worded it wrong.

I'm not saying that I don't want debate stopped.
I would like to see more protection for those that wish to discuss the issue peacefully and rationally without the usual..
"it's an abomination and you are going to hell"
"

"You can't be a christian if you are Gay or support the gay lifestyle"
Etc.

I'll add more later when my brain isn't feeling fuzzy. I've had a lot of Morphine today for my back and leg problems so I will wait till my head is clearer.
:)

Upvote 0

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I came into WWMC, and stayed, because of its unique FSGs. It's a valuable part of CF and I hope it can keep its value.

Over the last 3 months, the group has had some challenges with visitors not respecting the FSGs in a couple of areas:

-- radical inclusiveness
-- polite conversation
-- doctrinal humility
-- rejection of division
and

Could you explain to me what you mean? I don't want to make any inaccurate assumptions (you know what happens when you assume ;))

That's part of why I started this conversation. I want to know how you all see this forum. What is it's intended purpose / goal? What factors are interferring in meeting that goal?

I'm not an original member of the group, but still happily affirm the FSGs as they stand.
I might add a statement [that] explicitly addresses moderate and conservative Christians members, and also nonChristians and nonreligious members -- we have some wonderful regular posters who self-identify as such, and I'd support an FSG amendment that recognizes them.

What would you suggest? I thought the FSG's were quite welcoming to all.
WWMC is dedicated to following Jesus's example of radical inclusiveness and hospitality by including "whoseover will " to come join us in friendly and polite fellowship and conversation.

In your opinion are conservative christians and non-religious members allowed to debate in WWMC or are they restricted to fellowship posts.

Upvote 0

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
This is high on my priority list.
The FSG states that Homosexuality is not to be debated here and yet I have seen this rule broken time and time again by some . The drive by comments on this subject are also wearisome.

I am saddened that some members have left because of this , and this is the one place that is supposed to be a safe haven for our LGBT brothers and sisters.

I hope the rules can be clarified so that someday they will come back and feel safe to discuss their lives and hopes and dreams without having to defend themselves constantly from unwanted attacks.

Debates on the morality of homosexuality are off topic to this forum based on your existing FSG's. If you feel someone is breaking this rule, report the post & we will deal with it. Unfortunately, we can't be every where and we depend on you to point out problems.

Upvote 0

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Just out of curiosity . . .

If the congregational area were to enact an overall rule that only Christians may post, where would that leave WWMC?

Would we be booted into some obscure subforum?

To the best of my knowledge that isn't even being discussed as an option. The Congregational forums were deliberately left open to non-christians so that they could ask questions about different denominations, etc.

Forgive me for bringing up a conspiracy theory, but I've been here long enough to see more than a few instances of shennanigans regarding forums being swept under the rug.

I hope this FSG discussion is not for the purpose of laying the groundwork to remove us from the congregational area.

Thanks.

I will be having this same discussion with all of the congregational forums so please don't feel I am out to get rid of WWMC. I do have some concerns which I am hoping this discussion will resolve, but I have no intention of removing WWMC from the congregational area. Even if that was my intention (which it isn't), I don't have the power to do so :D

My purpose is truly to get a better understanding of the needs of this forum. I want you to know that I am available when anyone has problems / concerns. I may not always give you the answer you want, but I will do my best to help ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
No probs.
Maybe I worded it wrong.

I'm not saying that I don't want debate stopped.
I would like to see more protection for those that wish to discuss the issue peacefully and rationally without the usual..
"it's an abomination and you are going to hell"
"

"You can't be a christian if you are Gay or support the gay lifestyle"
Etc.

I'll add more later when my brain isn't feeling fuzzy. I've had a lot of Morphine today for my back and leg problems so I will wait till my head is clearer.

Both of those comments fall under the site wide rules of off-topic to the forum & flaming if they are addressed to a specific person. Again - just report the posts then ignore them.

Our standard procedure is to delete reported posts "pending review" so the posts should be removed fairly quickly.

Upvote 0

Kris10leigh

Actively seeking conversion
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,078.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I don't mean to be difficult, but it seems to me that if this is a forum for whoever our discussion of Christianity might be expanded. There are a lot of takes on Christianity. We have Pagan-Christians and other half/half religious discussions and I think we all come away learning a little something from them all, which is the wonderful thing about this place. But bring up the trinity and the posts get deleted quite quickly.

I echo the previous sentiments that whoever really should mean whoever. And that should allow us a little more freedom for discussion. I've noticed that people over here are pretty good about monitoring each other. This is the most level headed group of people I have ever met! There have been times I've wanted to lash out at a poster, but inevitably somebody beat me to it with a very level headed, well worded response that whisks all anger away. It's refreshing.

Upvote 0

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I don't mean to be difficult, but it seems to me that if this is a forum for whoever our discussion of Christianity might be expanded. There are a lot of takes on Christianity. We have Pagan-Christians and other half/half religious discussions and I think we all come away learning a little something from them all, which is the wonderful thing about this place. But bring up the trinity and the posts get deleted quite quickly.

I can understand the desire to have a totally open discussion area, however, the site wide rules just don't allow for it. Since this forum is located in the congregational forum it is a christian forum and posts against the CF SOF are not allowed.

I echo the previous sentiments that whoever really should mean whoever. And that should allow us a little more freedom for discussion. I've noticed that people over here are pretty good about monitoring each other. This is the most level headed group of people I have ever met! There have been times I've wanted to lash out at a poster, but inevitably somebody beat me to it with a very level headed, well worded response that whisks all anger away. It's refreshing.

It is very refreshing when a group of people can carry on a conversation without resorting to arguments / insults. I wish more forums could say the same :)

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Could you explain to me what you mean? I don't want to make any inaccurate assumptions (you know what happens when you assume ;))

That's part of why I started this conversation. I want to know how you all see this forum. What is it's intended purpose / goal? What factors are interferring in meeting that goal?
What interferes? The same factors that interfere with Christians living up to the Sermon on the Mount, lol! In some cases people genuinely don't know that things happen a bit differently in this part of the CF house; in some cases their actions say "Ok now I know because you've told me but I'm going to insist on XYZ because it's right"; in some cases folk just seem to come to the community with their own agenda without regard for community norms. Which is its own kind of blindness.

But I don't think that's the fault of the policy. Applying the policy is up to us, both regulars and visitors, because the values in the policy are not beyond our ability to live-out. And I think the regulars have been pretty good about this; as I say, I appreciate the group a great deal. It's because of that generally respectful baseline that the occasional rancor -- rancor that may be common/accepted in other areas -- stands out so much here. I like that it stands out. I'd like it even more if we could reduce its frequency.

What would you suggest? I thought the FSG's were quite welcoming to all.
WWMC is dedicated to following Jesus's example of radical inclusiveness and hospitality by including "whoseover will " to come join us in friendly and polite fellowship and conversation.
In your opinion are conservative christians and non-religious members allowed to debate in WWMC or are they restricted to fellowship posts.
Self-identifying moderates, conservatives, and non-religious folks hang out here all the time without causing mischief or offence -- and this probably has nothing to do with their affiliations and everything to do with their good manners. :)

But as far as the FSGs go, let me put the following revision on the table, and y'all can discuss it. For easier reading, I've marked additions but not deletions:
Whosoever Will, May Come (WWMC) is a welcoming, interdenominational congregation. Some of its members identify as liberal, progressive, postmodern, emerging, or emergent Christians, while others identify as Christians, Christ-followers, or children of God. Whatever labels we use for ourselves, WWMC is dedicated to following Jesus' example of radical inclusiveness and hospitality by inviting "whosoever will" to join us in friendly and polite fellowship and conversation.

Ours is an open community that fully embraces seekers, non-Christians, atheists, the unaffiliated and unpersuaded, and members from all other CF congregations. We are committed to the respect, love, and growth of all who converse with us, and we believe that this commitment requires us to be humble even and especially when we hold strong opinions.

The religious and spiritual questions that bind us are complex, and answers are elusive but not out of reach. We are certain of a few things: we all see "through a glass darkly" and "know in part" (1 Cor 13). We discourage dogmatic statements of faith and politics, and do not accept that we "have a monopoly on the truth." The search for truth here is dynamic and shared rather than stagnant or dictated. We believe that heaven is the "whole of our hearts," and therefore welcome everyone to share their spiritual journeys with us. We do not tolerate the belittling of anyone's journey.

Following the example of Jesus's ministry to the world's outcasts, the broken and alienated among his society, we believe that as a community of the people of God, we are called to minister to all people in our world, knowing that the world is often an unloving place. Our world is a place of alienation and brokenness. Christ calls us to reconciliation and wholeness. We are challenged by the Gospel to be agents of healing within our society.

We affirm with the apostle Paul that in Christ "there is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female" (Galatians 3:28). Christ has made us one. We acknowledge that this extends to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.

Because gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons and their families are often scorned by society and alienated from the Church, we wish to make known our caring and concern. It is for this purpose that we affirm the following:
  • that people of all sexual orientations and gender identities share the worth that comes from being unique individuals created by God;
  • that people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are welcome within the membership of this congregation.
As a result, debates on the morality of sexual orientations and gender identities are not on-topic in WWMC. We encourage those who wish to debate those issues to do so in the Christian Philosophy & Ethics forum.

Thoughts? :) Even when we agree on the text, we'll have to each commit again to making them a non-negotiable part of our practice, and teaching visitors to do the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I will be having this same discussion with all of the congregational forums so please don't feel I am out to get rid of WWMC. I do have some concerns which I am hoping this discussion will resolve, but I have no intention of removing WWMC from the congregational area. Even if that was my intention (which it isn't), I don't have the power to do so :D

Hi RMW, and thanks for the honesty.

I'm glad we're safe for the time being.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned you had some concerns you'd like to see discussed. Feel free to share them with us, if you like.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
While some probably think of me as one of the moderates or conservatives that likes to hang out here, I actually am a member of one of the core groups mentioned in the FSG's: emergent Christians. I know people tend to think of emergents as liberal, but some are pretty conservative. Me for example: I'm probably closer to Mark Driscoll than to Brian McLaren.

I fully agree with DeanM's comments.

I also agree with AzA's proposed revision.

Upvote 0

Sitswithamouse

I look Time Lord
Mar 6, 2005
Devon, UK
✟13,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
Thank you AzA and Dean:)
You have both done a great job of outlining yourselves and others concerns and feelings (including my own) on how we want this forum to flourish and be maintined better than I could at present.
I agree with both AzA and Dean and others here who have put well thought out questions etc for the continuation of WWMC.

Reactions: DeanM
Upvote 0

rmw8855

Robin 8^)
May 25, 2007
California
✟67,202.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Hi RMW, and thanks for the honesty.

I'm glad we're safe for the time being.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned you had some concerns you'd like to see discussed. Feel free to share them with us, if you like.

Some of my concerns really apply to most of the forums:

- All site wide rules still apply. They are not replaced by the FSG's.
- Safe haven status doesn't mean flames against other groups are allowed
- Any statements against CF SOF are off topic (no exceptions) to all forums except Unorthodox Theology.

I only have 1 concern that is specific to this forum.

In your desire to be open / welcoming to everyone (which is a wonderful goal), I fear that sometimes it is easy to go a little too far into an "anything goes" attitude. However, WWMC is a Christian forum in the congregational area which means that it is bound by the CF SOF. Non-Christians are welcome as guests but they are limited in what they can debate about. Promotion of anything other than Christianity as defined by the CF SOF or debate against Christianity is not allowed. We need to find a way to balance the two conflicting goals.

Upvote 0

Kris10leigh

Actively seeking conversion
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,078.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
In your desire to be open / welcoming to everyone (which is a wonderful goal), I fear that sometimes it is easy to go a little too far into an "anything goes" attitude. However, WWMC is a Christian forum in the congregational area which means that it is bound by the CF SOF. Non-Christians are welcome as guests but they are limited in what they can debate about. Promotion of anything other than Christianity as defined by the CF SOF or debate against Christianity is not allowed. We need to find a way to balance the two conflicting goals.

Just a thought, and others may disagree with me, but would it be a bad idea to move this section to Unorthodox theology? I ask because I've noticed a sad change to this area over what it was a while back. We had more freedom to discuss and the board was much more active. We are a bit of an unorthodox group, I think. :sorry:

Upvote 0