"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get frustrated with what I am facing in my family. My parents are often ready to help others and do nice things for them but tend to be reluctant/resentful/angry to do things towards myself and my sisters. They view us as failures for not being more "successful" but we have struggled immensely due to serious family problems (disharmony in all relationships), serious financial hardship, and serious health issues requiring hospitalizations for various family members (I've been hospitalized more times than I can remember). My career path has been a rocky, difficult road due to my health issues. The main stress I'm facing now with my family is just trying to understand what is going on and trying to navigate it. It makes me feel really confused and stressed when I see my parents going the extra mile for other people when they don't do it for their kids. For example, doing nothing for my birthday besides saying happy birthday but going the extra mile to do things for other people outside the family. I don't get it.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I get frustrated with what I am facing in my family. My parents are often ready to help others and do nice things for them but tend to be reluctant/resentful/angry to do things towards myself and my sisters. They view us as failures for not being more "successful" but we have struggled immensely due to serious family problems (disharmony in all relationships), serious financial hardship, and serious health issues requiring hospitalizations for various family members (I've been hospitalized more times than I can remember). My career path has been a rocky, difficult road due to my health issues. The main stress I'm facing now with my family is just trying to understand what is going on and trying to navigate it. It makes me feel really confused and stressed when I see my parents going the extra mile for other people when they don't do it for their kids. For example, doing nothing for my birthday besides saying happy birthday but going the extra mile to do things for other people outside the family. I don't get it.

Family members know a lot about the family "skeletons" in the closet .... strangers (others) do not. Going the extra mile for non-family member(s) they immediately can receive accolades (a sense of acknowledgment of merit) from them ... ie .... look at me ... I'm wonderful (and others/strangers) likely don't know anything different .... family members have a history they carry ... and have a different viewpoint.

My dad was like this as well .... so I do know and understand how you are feeling. However ... rise above it.

doing nothing for my birthday besides saying happy birthday

you should be ok with this.

With our parents .... we learn from their successes and their failures .... important not to repeat their failures.

Each of us need to navigate our lives with help from the Lord ... regardless of our past.

May the Lord bring you peace to your mind and heart. Amen.

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟450,710.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus's own people hated Him but they were nice to sinners and strangers. He comes alive in us as we go through the darkness present in this world.

But where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5:20-21

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Family members know a lot about the family "skeletons" in the closet .... strangers (others) do not. Going the extra mile for non-family member(s) they immediately can receive accolades (a sense of acknowledgment of merit) from them ... ie .... look at me ... I'm wonderful (and others/strangers) likely don't know anything different .... family members have a history they carry ... and have a different viewpoint.

My dad was like this as well .... so I do know and understand how you are feeling. However ... rise above it.

you should be ok with this.

With our parents .... we learn from their successes and their failures .... important not to repeat their failures.

Each of us need to navigate our lives with help from the Lord ... regardless of our past.

May the Lord bring you peace to your mind and heart. Amen.

This makes so much sense. It's hard to deal with because the relationships have been so broken. The grace of God has really been at work, and I thank God for that, but I'm human and it hurts to see it at times. Like if they told me I can depend on them for something but turn around and deny that request, but then go and do the same thing for someone else with less reluctance/resentment.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This makes so much sense. It's hard to deal with because the relationships have been so broken. The grace of God has really been at work, and I thank God for that, but I'm human and it hurts to see it at times. Like if they told me I can depend on them for something but turn around and deny that request, but then go and do the same thing for someone else with less reluctance/resentment.

Walk with the Lord ... focus on the future ... not the past. ;o)

If they aren't dependable ... then ... don't depend on them.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus's own people hated Him but they were nice to sinners and strangers. He comes alive in us as we go through the darkness present in this world.

But where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 5:20-21

I have to keep trying/remembering to allow God to work through me in my family relationships. That's why at times I post here to help me get perspective. Honestly, it's not easy when someone hurts you but you still have to love them, it takes a lot of grace, it helps to get reminders from others.

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Walk with the Lord ... focus on the future ... not the past. ;o)

If they aren't dependable ... then ... don't depend on them.

Thank you. I'm pretty independent, try not to depend on them as much as I don't have to. Will try to keep the focus on the better future.

Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you. I'm pretty independent, try not to depend on them as much as I don't have to. Will try to keep the focus on the better future.

You go Girl!!!! ;o) May the Lord bless you as you walk with him. Amen

Upvote 0