• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Frustrated venting

Echolipse

Watcher and Studier
Nov 17, 2012
Florida
✟15,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Long story short:

I've seen 2 "doctors" regarding possible bipolar disorder. The first was a legit doctor and the other is just a nurse practitioner. All of my symptoms point directly to bipolar, but this chick is now saying "Major depressive", she has even admitted that i have bipolar symptoms. So more or less, Major depressive with mania episodes and from what me and my wife have researched that is classic bipolar aka Manic Depression.

I've even talked to an old churchmate that was diagnosed when she was 16, she said my symptoms are classic bipolar.

I'm not looking for a diagnoses, I just want to know how many people yall saw until you got the "correct" diagnoses?:mad::argh:

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It took awhile with me as well, they don't like to diagnose someone to quickly with a major psychiatric illness because of the negative connotations.

All in all it took 5 years before I was diagnosed with Schizo-affective disorder - while I had the symptoms all along.

Upvote 0

CraftyTurtle

Feb 20, 2013
✟7,784.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I'd have to go with at least 20 years. ...or maybe not. Okay, I'll explain. I was dxed as "hyperactive" at 8, and told I'd grow out of it. ....like I grew out of asthma? NOT! I continued to have self-esteem issues, "awkward teen years" and social ineptitude. (LOL I like that one)

I went through a major depressive episode in my 30s, saw my doctor, and was immediately dxed bipolar, put on meds, and sent to a psychiatrist.

I don't know if that's 20 years, or not at all. All I know is I had "issues" as a kid, teen, and young adult, that nobody ever was able to help with.

As far as I feel, from childhood to now, I am still Attention Deficit, or Bipolar, or whatever label is popular at the time. I don't feel any different in myself.

Sometimes I wonder if the label it is important - as long as you get the right treatment. Yeah, I know you need a label to get a treatment. So persist, my friend - get your treatment, and if that means persistence in getting a label, then go persist. It's your life. If medics aren't giving you what you need, you need to be a pest.

Upvote 0

Loven God

Sep 16, 2012
✟15,685.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I seen one doctor for 12 years then was not happy with him and saw another one and and after some testing and family back ground and my history he said he did not know why they did not see I was bipolar . I must say that those first 12 year were a living hell .

Upvote 0