• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Frustrated Caregiver

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My H's brother has had seizures all his life, and an abnormally large AVM. It's inoperable. Since his mother died he has lived with us. It was either that or a nursing home.

His cognitive aspect is slipping (no doubt due to seizures and 3 strokes), and he broke his arm last year during a fall. We just can't seem to get him to exercise to help the arm, and recently it started to hurt again. He allows it to JUST hang, and of course that causes pain. That changed to it triggering problems with his AVM due to this pain.

We go to a large hospital, and a neurosurgeon suggested a procedure that has a 50/50 chance of helping the swelling in his brain when he goes downhill. Otherwise, steroids are given to bring the swelling down. They spoke about a possible maintenance dose to hopefully keep the swelling at bay. These are last chance options, and we are older - as is he. Things will get worse in time.

He also has major balance issues, and a broken leg from YEARS (30+ years) ago doesn't help since I don't think it healed right. He drags it.

Anyway, H brought him to the doctor today (his general one) to discuss the options that the neuro surgeon suggested. He doesn't want to do anything. No maintenance dose, no operation. At this point the H got frustrated and pointed out he isn't doing anything to help himself. How if he won't help himself then WHY should he be helping him anymore?! Yes, brother frustration. Yet, I get it. He was told this last time that if something major happens again? His abilities could be permanently hindered, and H reminded him he didn't sign up for full time carer. He would be living in the nursing home at that point.

He was never a talker, and he still doesn't talk. He doesn't speak with the doctor either. He has been this way all his life. I just go with it, because that is the way he is. You can't force these things. Yet, its not helping to help him either. He listens to me as I try a more gentle approach, and he just stares at you and says nothing. I ask him if he heard me and he will acknowledge this. I ask him if he has any thoughts. I get zero.

I guess at this point I need to find the strength to let this go or something. He can't drive and so we take care of all the doctor's visits - and anything else he needs. H wants to refuse to do this out of frustration at this point. I think he will calm down, but this is getting to all of us.

Any suggestions?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My H's brother has had seizures all his life, and an abnormally large AVM. It's inoperable. Since his mother died he has lived with us. It was either that or a nursing home.

His cognitive aspect is slipping (no doubt due to seizures and 3 strokes), and he broke his arm last year during a fall. We just can't seem to get him to exercise to help the arm, and recently it started to hurt again. He allows it to JUST hang, and of course that causes pain. That changed to it triggering problems with his AVM due to this pain.

We go to a large hospital, and a neurosurgeon suggested a procedure that has a 50/50 chance of helping the swelling in his brain when he goes downhill. Otherwise, steroids are given to bring the swelling down. They spoke about a possible maintenance dose to hopefully keep the swelling at bay. These are last chance options, and we are older - as is he. Things will get worse in time.

He also has major balance issues, and a broken leg from YEARS (30+ years) ago doesn't help since I don't think it healed right. He drags it.

Anyway, H brought him to the doctor today (his general one) to discuss the options that the neuro surgeon suggested. He doesn't want to do anything. No maintenance dose, no operation. At this point the H got frustrated and pointed out he isn't doing anything to help himself. How if he won't help himself then WHY should he be helping him anymore?! Yes, brother frustration. Yet, I get it. He was told this last time that if something major happens again? His abilities could be permanently hindered, and H reminded him he didn't sign up for full time carer. He would be living in the nursing home at that point.

He was never a talker, and he still doesn't talk. He doesn't speak with the doctor either. He has been this way all his life. I just go with it, because that is the way he is. You can't force these things. Yet, its not helping to help him either. He listens to me as I try a more gentle approach, and he just stares at you and says nothing. I ask him if he heard me and he will acknowledge this. I ask him if he has any thoughts. I get zero.

I guess at this point I need to find the strength to let this go or something. He can't drive and so we take care of all the doctor's visits - and anything else he needs. H wants to refuse to do this out of frustration at this point. I think he will calm down, but this is getting to all of us.

Any suggestions?
I’d ask for a referral for a good physical therapist. In home care might be an option as well.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have nursing/physical therapist that comes to the home for him. You know how they give you homework? Do these exercises, etc? He doesn't do them.
Well speaking from experience and having worked in in-home care myself, it is usually expected that those in the home help with that homework. If he gets combative, you might need to call the doctor that prescribed it for further advise.

Upvote 0

Gramma Kitty

Aug 15, 2020
Elgin
✟9,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I sort of know the frustrations you are going through. My youngest daughter suffered a traumatic brain injury 14 years ago and I am her caregiver. There's good days and bad days. I pray for strength and patience every day. I will add you to my prayers, HannahT.

• Agree
Reactions: HannahT
Upvote 0