Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We were discussing this issue at church recently and I want to hear your opinions.

1. What is the difference between the fruits of the spirit and the gifts of the spirit.
2. Does one need to have the gifts of the spirit as evidence of the holy spirit or is it the fruits of the spirit that is the evidence of the spirit.
3. What is the difference between a talent and a spiritual gift.

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,647.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Spiritual fruit is the spirituality inside of us.
Spiritual gifts are the workings that the Holy Spirit has gifted us to do.

Spirituality is not logic therefore it cannot be taught
Spirituality is not natural therefore it cannot be bought

Spirituality is our existence in God, light, flesh, darkness, or the devil. It ought to be a discerning thing to know what Spirits people are of. And I have heard that the devil and Flesh are so akin that it is hard to discern between the two.

"All these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will." - 1 Corinthians 12:11

The Spirit can also work naturally and mentally. He can bestow in people gifts of miracles, healings, prophecies, knowledge, wisdom, and tongues. I would say that these gifts come from the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus. It would be unwise for us to boast on our gifts then, knowing they are from God and not of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's on the tip of my tongue and as soon as I can get it to roll off Ima tell you the difference lol......No but seriously you got me thinking and i think Im half way there so I will be back as soon as I form the proper words. You got me pondering.
:scratch::bow:

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We were discussing this issue at church recently and I want to hear your opinions.

1. What is the difference between the fruits of the spirit and the gifts of the spirit.
My opinion is that the FRUIT of the Spirit is what God is in CHARACTER. And the GIFTS of the Spirit are what God does in POWER.

And as Christians, our lives should manifest both the CHARACTER and the POWER of God in this world.

The CHARACTER/fruits of God....

GAL 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control;

The GIFTS/power of God...

1CO 12:8 To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

2. Does one need to have the gifts of the spirit as evidence of the holy spirit or is it the fruits of the spirit that is the evidence of the spirit.
I'd say both are evidence. But I think that the adversary can imitate both also.

3. What is the difference between a talent and a spiritual gift
Just my opinion, but I've come to believe that the TALENT is a soulish atribute one has, and a spiritual GIFT is a spiritual attribute or manifestation.

TALENTS are abilities we are born with (like Jeremiah being a prophet from the womb/Jer1:5). And they would be like Eph 4:8 where it mentions the doma/gifts of the fivefold ministry .

EPH 4:11 And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,

The SPIRITUAL gifts are the charisma manifestations, like 1Cor talks of.

1 Corinthians 12:4 Now there are diversities of charisma/gifts, but the same Spirit.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My opinion is that the FRUIT of the Spirit is what God is in CHARACTER. And the GIFTS of the Spirit are what God does in POWER.

And as Christians, our lives should manifest both the CHARACTER and the POWER of God in this world.

GAL 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control;

1CO 12:8 To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

I'd say both are evidence. But I think that the adversary can imitate both also.

Just my opinion, but I've come to believe that the TALENT is a soulish atribute one has, and a spiritual GIFT is a spiritual attribute or manifestation.

TALENTS are abilities we are born with (like Jeremiah being a prophet from the womb/Jer1:5). And they would be like Eph 4:8 where it mentions the doma/gifts of the fivefold ministry .

EPH 4:11 And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,

1 Corinthians 12:4 Now there are diversities of charisma/gifts, but the same Spirit.
Hi Hilly!

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

As for the 9 Fruits of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23) and the 9 Manifestations of the Spirit (1Cor 12:10-11) they are certainly not one and the same; the fruits are those attributes that we each develop as we walk in the Spirit, whereas the Manifestations of the Spirit are what the Holy Spirit works out through us such as with prophecy and tongues.

Where the fruit such as love and kindness are things that we must undertake as we walk in the Spirit, the Manifestations of the Spirit (aka, spiritual gifts) are purely an activity of the Holy Spirit which are independent of our ability to display fruit such as love and kindness etc.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That is so informative and a great explanation.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

They are two separate attributes of the Holy Spirit in us. The fruit of the Spirit is the formation of the Christ-like character in us through the indwelling Spirit. The gifts of the Spirit are the "tools" which come with the Spirit to enable us to strengthen the church and to powerfully present the gospel to believers.

But although the fruit can be there and influence us without the gifts, the gifts or "tools" cannot be effectively used unless they are used by a person whose character and behaviour is totally influenced by the fruit of the Spirit.

What causes much misuse of the gifts is that people use them in unloving, unkind, not gentle, or with a lack of self-control. This means that the gifts used in this way bring misery instead of joy, hate instead of love, destruction of faith instead of strengthened faith, conflict instead of peace, pride instead of meekness, unruly behaviour instead of self-control.

But when a person is using the gifts in conjunction with the fruit of the Spirit, then what results is a greater love for God and the brethren, more joy, a greater sense of peace, better faithfulness to others, a real sense of humility under the mighty hand of God, and the good testimony of a group of people who are disciplined and self-controlled.

If when a person uses what they call a gift of the Spirit and people influenced feel spooked, weird, condemned, depressed, confused, or put off believing in God, then that gift is being misused.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
They are two separate attributes of the Holy Spirit in us. The fruit of the Spirit is the formation of the Christ-like character in us through the indwelling Spirit. The gifts of the Spirit are the "tools" which come with the Spirit to enable us to strengthen the church and to powerfully present the gospel to believers.

But although the fruit can be there and influence us without the gifts, the gifts or "tools" cannot be effectively used unless they are used by a person whose character and behaviour is totally influenced by the fruit of the Spirit.

What causes much misuse of the gifts is that people use them in unloving, unkind, not gentle, or with a lack of self-control. This means that the gifts used in this way bring misery instead of joy, hate instead of love, destruction of faith instead of strengthened faith, conflict instead of peace, pride instead of meekness, unruly behaviour instead of self-control.

But when a person is using the gifts in conjunction with the fruit of the Spirit, then what results is a greater love for God and the brethren, more joy, a greater sense of peace, better faithfulness to others, a real sense of humility under the mighty hand of God, and the good testimony of a group of people who are disciplined and self-controlled.

If when a person uses what they call a gift of the Spirit and people influenced feel spooked, weird, condemned, depressed, confused, or put off believing in God, then that gift is being misused.

I agree with this:
and this:
This comes to mind:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profiteth me nothing." ~I Corinthians 13:1-3

"And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." ~I Corinthians 13:13

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums