South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Are kids really wiser than us adults? I ask this because I was watching a video of a 12 year old girl who made some decent enough points about the wisdom of kids and how we as adults should pay them more attention. Interesting. I wonder why us adults don't give children enough "credit" since they often ask pertinent questions, tell better jokes, and give wise tidbits about life in general. My question is, am I being correct in my assessment about the wisdom of children or am I far reaching?

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I wouldn't necessarily say children are wiser, but they do tend to say thing as they are rather than sugarcoat them like so many adults do. Like, when we speak sincerely we're often assumed to be rude and stuff.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Are kids really wiser than us adults? I ask this because I was watching a video of a 12 year old girl who made some decent enough points about the wisdom of kids and how we as adults should pay them more attention. Interesting. I wonder why us adults don't give children enough "credit" since they often ask pertinent questions, tell better jokes, and give wise tidbits about life in general. My question is, am I being correct in my assessment about the wisdom of children or am I far reaching?
Not that you don't know this, but children are generally less patient and tactful with their statements. We often have put ourselves into the habit of quickly assuming kindness is in a soft response, to avoid brutal honesty. Both of these facts do not make children wiser.

As to our relationship and deference to children, yes, we should respect them as honestly seeking wisdom and knowledge. But there is something about children where if they are brought up right, they learn where they stand in relationship to others in life. They are not the decision makers, and complaining is counterproductive. And no, a 12 year old's sense of humor is not completely developed yet. They have a lot of life to go through before understanding some of the best subtle ironies.

• Informative
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree, kids can be a lot smarter than many adults give them credit for. My father never really talked down to me when I was a kid and I really appreciated it. I wouldn't say they're necessarily wiser than adults, but perhaps they have some wisdom people forget when they get caught up in the rat race of life.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kids are like adults in that they can be insightful, intentionally or otherwise, but that doesn’t mean they’re always right, honest, or wise. Like, my kids have said incredibly insightful things.

They’ve also left the car doors open all night after getting out of the car, and blamed a missing bag of chips on birds. So... Yeah.

• Informative
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't necessarily say children are wiser, but they do tend to say thing as they are rather than sugarcoat them like so many adults do. Like, when we speak sincerely we're often assumed to be rude and stuff.

Very common for Asperger's, too. When I was younger, I was very blunt and easily hurt peoples feelings and it confused the heck out of me.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Very common for Asperger's, too. When I was younger, I was very blunt and easily hurt peoples feelings and it confused the heck out of me.

Heck, even us regular people can be blunt. I've gotten myself into some difficult situations because of it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Heck, even us regular people can be blunt. I've gotten myself into some difficult situations because of it.

I am so thankful my partner rarely asks me "how does this make me look?"

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
There is no monolith. Perceptive adults were likely perceptive children, and vice versa. Age doesn't really confer much except a fuller understanding of social expectations. While adults generally have more experience and information, not all adults can actually learn from their mistakes and gain knowledge. Most adults seen to be large children.

Children seem exceptionally insightful at times because we expect so little of them generally speaking.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are kids really wiser than us adults?

Nope.

My question is, am I being correct in my assessment about the wisdom of children

Nope.

or am I far reaching?

Yep.

I work in a pediatric hospital and am involved in a number of studies concerning child development. I also get to meet and see alot of kids.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think children have more thinking capacity then adults given them credit, the thing they lack is experience, wisdom and knowledge. Just have to watch kids try to figure out something like why the sky is blue or such, their ideas are pretty good thinking, but they lack the experience and knowledge to make it true.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

You're far reaching. I say that as a teacher.

• Informative
Upvote 0