Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
"The Genesis account of Eve being created from the rib of Adam has, throughout history, often been interpreted in negative ways. In this week’s broadcast, through a brief text by St. Irenaeus of Lyons, Archimandrite Irenei examines a patristic vision of this creation grounding the true intimacy and mutual responsibility of the human community, male and female as ‘helpers’ of one another in the work of salvation."

Podcast

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟738,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Archimandrite Irenei Steenberg is outstanding. All of the podcasts in the series this one comes from, "A Word From the Holy Fathers" are exceptional. He must be too busy anymore to keep doing the podcasts, since he was elevated to Archimandrite, but that series is my favorite out of all of AFRs podcasts.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Archimandrite Irenei Steenberg is outstanding. All of the podcasts in the series this one comes from, "A Word From the Holy Fathers" are exceptional. He must be too busy anymore to keep doing the podcasts, since he was elevated to Archimandrite, but that series is my favorite out of all of AFRs podcasts.
I've really liked and benefited spiritually from what I've listened to from him so far.

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
What a great broadcast! I'll have to listen to it again/print out the transcript to look at even more closely later, but one of my thoughts while listening was about how it also reflects God and our connection to to God. The same word for "helper" is used to describe God elsewhere in scripture, and God is the ultimate "helper" and therefore if we would be conformed to God, then we too, both male and female, need to be as such to one another. Loving God, loving neighbor.

It's so easy to see everything skewed when we look at scripture through a misogynistic lens, one that just assumes that male is superior to female, and therefore so much of scripture gets further and further from its original purpose and intended meaning.

Thanks for posting!

• Agree
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0