United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Howdy.

For a long while, perhaps as long as a couple years, I have been in a period of discernment, pondering as to whether or not I should continue as a Southern Baptist or convert to Roman Catholicism (I say "convert" because I am not baptized). Then, earlier this year, I had a personal experience, it seemed like a revelation. This might sound crazy, as I used to not believe in such experiences, but it felt like there was a holy presence in this revelation, in the form of a dream. Perhaps I will describe the details later on, but in short, it seemed that this dream indicated that Catholicism would be the way to go to improve my relationship with God.

A couple or a few months after this experience, just doing my day-to-day routine as usual, and one day I found myself unable to leave the city that my school is in. I don't know how to describe this feeling, but I simply could not leave the city. Thus, I pulled over, made a phone call to the office of the Diocese, and then made my way to a parish near my school. I talked to one of the secretaries there (everyone else was gone, it's a very small parish with only one priest) and attempted to schedule an appointment with the priest for a couple weeks, mostly regarding some questions about faith and about RCIA.

Moving forward, every attempt to schedule an appointment has seemed to fail. Either he's too busy, or in the most recent case, no one was at the parish despite it being well within its hours of operation, or in another, I was unable to meet at the time that he was available.

So now I am left wondering, is this the direction that I should go in? At this point, I am starting to feel lost. Ultimately, I still feel that Catholicism is still the right direction, but I can't help but to feel some degree of doubt, perhaps it has to do with it being a parish that has only Novus Ordo mass, I don't know (I'm not here to question the validity of any style of mass or any denominations) -- another parish, albeit a bit farther away, has Tridentine mass and has some strict etiquette regarding attire (seems like a traditionalist parish), but the problem is that I don't feel particularly drawn to that parish either. Therefore, I am feeling quite lost.

I should also note that I still live at home, come from a lower income family and can't afford to move out just yet, we depend on one another. My family has no idea of my discernment nor that I went to that parish or made any form of contact with any Catholics. As far as they're concerned, I'm still, theologically speaking, a very conservative Southern Baptist.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,011,713.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
May just be God showing you that perseverance is very important. An important lesson for you.

Dont give up on your journey. Remember that the evil one will try all ways to get you off of the true path that God wants you to travel on.

God bless you my friend.

Upvote 0

Geoseogan

거서간.
Aug 24, 2018
Dixieland
✟8,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
May just be God showing you that perseverance is very important. An important lesson for you.

Dont give up on your journey. Remember that the evil one will try all ways to get you off of the true path that God wants you to travel on.

God bless you my friend.

That is my thought as well. Even now, with this slight doubt, I still feel too far inclined to accept the authority of the Church, such that I could not bring myself to reject its authority and teachings at this point.

Something that Catholicism has given me that Southern Baptism has failed to provide is answers and over two thousand years of wisdom.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Howdy.

For a long while, perhaps as long as a couple years, I have been in a period of discernment, pondering as to whether or not I should continue as a Southern Baptist or convert to Roman Catholicism (I say "convert" because I am not baptized). Then, earlier this year, I had a personal experience, it seemed like a revelation. This might sound crazy, as I used to not believe in such experiences, but it felt like there was a holy presence in this revelation, in the form of a dream. Perhaps I will describe the details later on, but in short, it seemed that this dream indicated that Catholicism would be the way to go to improve my relationship with God.

A couple or a few months after this experience, just doing my day-to-day routine as usual, and one day I found myself unable to leave the city that my school is in. I don't know how to describe this feeling, but I simply could not leave the city. Thus, I pulled over, made a phone call to the office of the Diocese, and then made my way to a parish near my school. I talked to one of the secretaries there (everyone else was gone, it's a very small parish with only one priest) and attempted to schedule an appointment with the priest for a couple weeks, mostly regarding some questions about faith and about RCIA.

Moving forward, every attempt to schedule an appointment has seemed to fail. Either he's too busy, or in the most recent case, no one was at the parish despite it being well within its hours of operation, or in another, I was unable to meet at the time that he was available.

So now I am left wondering, is this the direction that I should go in? At this point, I am starting to feel lost. Ultimately, I still feel that Catholicism is still the right direction, but I can't help but to feel some degree of doubt, perhaps it has to do with it being a parish that has only Novus Ordo mass, I don't know (I'm not here to question the validity of any style of mass or any denominations) -- another parish, albeit a bit farther away, has Tridentine mass and has some strict etiquette regarding attire (seems like a traditionalist parish), but the problem is that I don't feel particularly drawn to that parish either. Therefore, I am feeling quite lost.

I should also note that I still live at home, come from a lower income family and can't afford to move out just yet, we depend on one another. My family has no idea of my discernment nor that I went to that parish or made any form of contact with any Catholics. As far as they're concerned, I'm still, theologically speaking, a very conservative Southern Baptist.

Have you looked at all into Orthodoxy? I converted from Southern Baptist (in seminary) to Orthodoxy and have never once regretted it. If you go to an Antiochian or Russian Parish you will be very surprised to see how loving a congregation can be.

• Informative
Reactions: Geoseogan
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you looked at all into Orthodoxy? I converted from Southern Baptist (in seminary) to Orthodoxy and have never once regretted it. If you go to an Antiochian or Russian Parish you will be very surprised to see how loving a congregation can be.
I can attest personally that the OCA (Orthodox Church of America) is also a great choice. I wasn’t Baptist, but I was a Pentecostal. I found my home in Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For a long while, perhaps as long as a couple years, I have been in a period of discernment, pondering as to whether or not I should continue as a Southern Baptist or convert to Roman Catholicism (I say "convert" because I am not baptized). Then, earlier this year, I had a personal experience, it seemed like a revelation. This might sound crazy, as I used to not believe in such experiences, but it felt like there was a holy presence in this revelation, in the form of a dream.

Hi. You say that you've not been baptized in either the Roman Catholic or Baptist church and you are inclined to switch your allegiance on the basis of a feeling related to a dream.

So, it appears that you aren't very deeply into either of these churches and certainly are not contemplating making a personal commitment to either of them on the basis of what they believe. This is important because these two churches are about as far apart on matters of belief and practice as one can get when comparing the mainline, well-established Christian denominations.

I would recommend that you now do a very careful study into the differences between the Southern Baptist and Roman Catholic denominations. The forums of each one here on CF would probably help, as well as other internet sources.

These two churches are so different that it is hard to believe that any person who is familiar both of them would be 'on the horns of a dilemma,' finding it difficult to decide, or going back and forth between them in his mind.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Howdy.

I heard a story once from a rabbi about another rabbi who was ignoring the attempts of a guy to become Jewish. The guy tried and tried and tried and kept being put off and had meetings canceled and calls not returned. Finally the guy catches the rabbi and asks him why the rabbi continually put him off. The rabbi answered that he wanted to be sure the guy was serious.

I doubt the priest is doing that to you. Probably just circumstances. But if this goes on, do drop in on the other parish and check them out a bit more. Not all parishes are equal. While not in full Latin Mass more myself I do lean a bit in that direction.

Reactions: Geoseogan
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Even now, with this slight doubt, I still feel too far inclined to accept the authority of the Church, such that I could not bring myself to reject its authority and teachings at this point.

Something that Catholicism has given me that Southern Baptism has failed to provide is answers and over two thousand years of wisdom.

This issue of the authority of the church is one of the key components of Catholic Christianity, and one of the distinctions between Catholic Christianity and other branches of Christianity. Study it further. Also study the Eastern Orthodox view of authority in the church; and look at some of the Protestant groups who have roots deep into history and who value Christian tradition, such as the Lutherans, Episcopalians, and Presbyterians.

If, having done that, you believe that the Catholic Church is the continuation of the ancient church in a way that Orthodox and Protestant churches are not, and if you believe that the authority of the Catholic Church ought to be obeyed, and is infallible in some circumstances -- if that is your belief, then I think the Catholic Church will be a good home for you.

Upvote 0

Geoseogan

거서간.
Aug 24, 2018
Dixieland
✟8,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi. You say that you've not been baptized in either the Roman Catholic or Baptist church and you are inclined to switch your allegiance on the basis of a feeling related to a dream.

So, it appears that you aren't very deeply into either of these churches and certainly are not contemplating making a personal commitment to either of them on the basis of what they believe. This is important because these two churches are about as far apart on matters of belief and practice as one can get when comparing the mainline, well-established Christian denominations.

I would recommend that you now do a very careful study into the differences between the Southern Baptist and Roman Catholic denominations. The forums of each one here on CF would probably help, as well as other internet sources.

These two churches are so different that it is hard to believe that any person who is familiar both of them would be 'on the horns of a dilemma,' finding it difficult to decide, or going back and forth between them in his mind.

I actually have been doing extensive research comparing the two for some time, though most of my knowledge has come with the assistance of a close friend of mine who is Catholic. I am very well familiar with the beliefs of the Southern Baptist Convention and always learning more about the Roman Catholic Church. They are indeed very different and at this point my beliefs align far more with Rome than with "Pastor Jim", so to speak.

I should clarify that my dilemma is not so much in regard to whether or not I feel Catholicism is the correct path, but rather it's the path within Catholicism itself that I have come to question. I must admit, I should have put this in the Catholic forum but at the time of writing, I did not notice where it was at until after I had posted and decided to leave the thread up to see what others may have to say (though I did make another thread in their section that links to this one).

I heard a story once from a rabbi about another rabbi who was ignoring the attempts of a guy to become Jewish. The guy tried and tried and tried and kept being put off and had meetings canceled and calls not returned. Finally the guy catches the rabbi and asks him why the rabbi continually put him off. The rabbi answered that he wanted to be sure the guy was serious.

I doubt the priest is doing that to you. Probably just circumstances. But if this goes on, do drop in on the other parish and check them out a bit more. Not all parishes are equal. While not in full Latin Mass more myself I do lean a bit in that direction.

I'll definitely drop in on the other parish this week, perhaps check in again with the other parish. I can understand why he's busy, especially since he's the only priest, but it has felt a bit discouraging I'll admit.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They are indeed very different and at this point my beliefs align far more with Rome than with "Pastor Jim", so to speak.
Could that be because your main source of Catholic information is from a friend who is unlikely to offer you any negative information about his church?

I should clarify that my dilemma is not so much in regard to whether or not I feel Catholicism is the correct path, but rather it's the path within Catholicism itself that I have come to question.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by that.

I must admit, I should have put this in the Catholic forum...
I absolutely do not think that would have been preferable. Why would you want only flattering things being said about one of your two possible choices? A much better course would be to gather a diversity of opinions and information such as you can get here where, as you have seen, Catholics are as free to post as are Baptists and others.

I'll definitely drop in on the other parish this week, perhaps check in again with the other parish. I can understand why he's busy, especially since he's the only priest, but it has felt a bit discouraging I'll admit.
Yes, he most likely was not meaning to snub you. As for visiting both (or more) churches and seeing worship, etc. first-hand, that's very important to do, yet many people in a situation similar to yours never bother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,418.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think you should just persevere till you get a chance to talk to a priest.

In any case, you'll still have to go through RCIA (Rite of Catholic Initiation of Adults) and you'll be able to ask all the questions you want then.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Howdy.

Hi Geoseogan,

Just so we get a better understanding of your situation I was curious about a couple of things:

The discernment about being a Southern Baptist and if you should continue. Why are you in doubt about staying with the southern Baptists?

Why do you believe that Catholicism is the right choice after leaving the Southern Baptists?

The answers to this could be very informative and allow us to help more. :)

Upvote 0

jisaiah6113

Oct 17, 2018
Arlington
✟16,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey there. I've been down the "which Christian path should I choose" rabbit hole for over five years now. I wouldn't say it's a rabbit hole because it actually does end in truth if you're diligent. I'm probably going to be Orthodox, but I still appreciate the hymns and old Protestant songs that draw me close to God. Probably the Orthodox priest wouldn't force me to give them up. It's really none of his business anyway, but I do respect his opinion. Just remember that Christ is the goal. If Catholicism takes you away from that path and fills you with excessive guilt or scrupulosity, I'd head straight out the door. Catholicism had a really heavy vibe for me. Even the supposed glory and majesty of the Mass couldn't make up for the lack of peace and love I felt in that tradition.

I will not speak of the Catholic church as a whole because many people have found a home there. It has everything I could want in a church except the two things I mentioned needing for Christianity to even be a consideration in my life: joy and peace.

I've been in RCIA several times. Keep searching young man, and don't forget to attend Mass often, along with Divine Liturgy and worship communally, in addition to keeping up your personal walk with the Lord. Don't just rely on books. Try to absorb the lived history and aura of the church. You'll feel it in Orthodoxy and Catholicism. You can feel the historical rootedness of each tradition. God is certainly not leading you blind. You have a lot of resources to help you. May God cause you to grow in your understanding.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would agree with what Albion has said.

Geosegan. As a former Catholic I would advise prayerful caution. The gospel as taught by the RCC, salvation by works, of purgatory, of penance, of indulgences, the revelations given through Marian apparitions....etc....is distinctly different from biblical Christianity.

As for a dream bringing you revelation, Matthew 24:24 could possibly shed a different interpretation on that.

Study the scriptures, 1st priority. If you can find your way to the RCC through the scriptures then Kudos to you. You would be the first to follow that path. God Bless :)

• Informative
Reactions: HardHead
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HardHead

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2019
GTA
✟84,378.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree totally.

I've heard this before. I'm not doubting it, but can you give some examples of what you mean by this? It would be informative, at least to me.

All the best to you.

Hello HardHead. I mean salvation by works in the sense of the OP thinking of joining the Roman Catholic Church- the RCC has a works based system of salvation, purgatory, penance, indulgences. I remember leading an old Catholic lady to the Lord, she had no assurance of salvation, she was insecure, hoping that her own religious observances, going to mass, confession, owning holy medals, statuettes, prayers to Mary etc would allow her into heaven. Her own works, she had no assurance of salvation because she was trusting in human works- rags and shrivelled leaves rather than the robe of righteousness that is God's gift.

But the work that God requires is to believe in the one he has sent. To believe in Jesus. The Lord Jesus has already done it all. Accept what the Lord has done and receive the assurance of salvation that only the true gospel can give. It is by grace we have been saved and not by works, it is the gift of God. Accept the Lord Jesus Christ and cross from death into life eternal. Grace v works.

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (John 5:24)

God Bless You :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I would agree with what Albion has said.

Geosegan. As a former Catholic I would advise prayerful caution. The gospel as taught by the RCC, salvation by works, of purgatory, of penance, of indulgences, the revelations given through Marian apparitions....etc....is distinctly different from biblical Christianity.

As for a dream bringing you revelation, Matthew 24:24 could possibly shed a different interpretation on that.

Study the scriptures, 1st priority. If you can find your way to the RCC through the scriptures then Kudos to you. You would be the first to follow that path. God Bless :)
Up until now this particular forum has been one where we do not run down other Christian beliefs. If we had positive things to say we would say them. Otherwise nobody was on the attack here. Has that changed now and is this particular forum now just one more battleground for the Reformation?

By the way, there are many who follow the Bible into the Catholic Church. I see it all the time where Bible reading praying people become Catholic.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,136.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Up until now this particular forum has been one where we do not run down other Christian beliefs. If we had positive things to say we would say them. Otherwise nobody was on the attack here. Has that changed now and is this particular forum now just one more battleground for the Reformation?

By the way, there are many who follow the Bible into the Catholic Church. I see it all the time where Bible reading praying people become Catholic.

Hello chevy. Eventually you're going to meet someone who disagrees with you, it's inevitable. I hope we can do this civilly. Let's talk about the gospel, the good news of Jesus. God Bless You :)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello chevy. Eventually you're going to meet someone who disagrees with you, it's inevitable. I hope we can do this civilly. Let's talk about the gospel, the good news of Jesus. God Bless You :)
You have turned this particular forum to your pleasure in talking down other Christian groups. This forum has been an attack free zone for the time I have been reading and commenting here these past two years. Now I see you can speak of civility but change the tenor of the whole forum into a place where attacks are the new norm. I'm not real happy about that, but maybe everyone else is.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0