HondaMan

Aug 24, 2015
✟11,947.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hello guys,

I was raised in an Eastern European Pentecostal Church. I was a hardcore Pentecostal while a teenager. I went to a Pentecostal Bible College. Later, I met my wife, who was from a Baptist church. We had no issue with our denominations. With more Bible study, I slowly started leaning towards a Baptist church. We started attending a local Baptist mega-church. Teaching and worship is great, but I'm thinking to join the Eastern European Baptist Church community. Smaller churches are a closer knit community, whereas in the large church, I feel like just a number.

My wife didn't convert me or anything. It was a personal choice. I'm not sure if I needed to create a thread about this, but wanted to let you guys know that I consider myself a Baptist now.

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hello guys,

I was raised in an Eastern European Pentecostal Church. I was a hardcore Pentecostal while a teenager. I went to a Pentecostal Bible College. Later, I met my wife, who was from a Baptist church. We had no issue with our denominations. With more Bible study, I slowly started leaning towards a Baptist church. We started attending a local Baptist mega-church. Teaching and worship is great, but I'm thinking to join the Eastern European Baptist Church community. Smaller churches are a closer knit community, whereas in the large church, I feel like just a number.

My wife didn't convert me or anything. It was a personal choice. I'm not sure if I needed to create a thread about this, but wanted to let you guys know that I consider myself a Baptist now.

Congratulations on considering yourself a Baptist now.

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
A community of Easter Europeans. Romanians, Moldovans, and Ukrainians that speak Romanian.

Interesting, I am a [Reformed] Baptist. Part of my family is Lithuanian, does that still count? :D

• Useful
Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, it does. Actually, my family and my wife's family were born in Europe. Our kids were born here.

Well, welcome! You have my right hand of fellowship to the Baptist community (if you become one again!)!

Reactions: HondaMan
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hello guys,

I did that. I went from a Pentecostal church to an Anglican and fellowshipped there for a couple of years, then moved to another city and met a great group of people in a home group and then joined their Baptist church and was there for four years while completing my university degree (as a 33 year old mature student), then went to another city and spent four years in a Baptist church there, and the pastor became a close life-time friend. When I got up to Auckland in 1996, the closest church was a Presbyterian church, and I have been there ever since, rising to the exalted position of elder (no glamorous, but more work for me). It has been a great journey and have met some wonderful people. Underneath surface in all these churches, there is a group of people who just love Jesus, and after leaving a Pentecostal church, it was a very pleasant surprise for me.

It has not diminished my faith in Christ, nor has it stopped me praying in tongues or having a committed belief in the gifts of the Spirit. In all the churches I have attended, I have been fully accepted as I am without having to change my theology or stopped me from praying for sick people wherever they came across my path. As an elder in the Presbyterian church, I had opportunity to preach regularly, and I was always able to preach what the Lord gave me, including supporting the gifts of the Spirit and telling them if they want their church to stay alive, they need them!

I didn't change my designation on CF because I still retain a Pentecostal theology and enjoy contributing and discussing on the Spirit-filled forums.

Reactions: HondaMan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Welcome from another Baptist.

I like your profile tagline - "You are saved - seek to be like your Savior." - Charles Spurgeon

Pretty simple but profound statement. Yes, becoming saved is the fundamental point of our life here, but after salvation comes transforming into the image of Christ - one of the main things a Christian should seek to do after salvation and a point someone should not neglect in their mind. I like his almost rebuke-like statement.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I would not worry about applying a man created denomination to yourself, which is the norm of the time.
But rather have you believed in The promised Messiah (Jesus) from the Old Testament prophecies. And have trusted in Him for His gift of His eternal life. If you have then you have correctly obeyed God and have Eternal Life to never be lost.

Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

Upvote 0

HondaMan

Aug 24, 2015
✟11,947.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I would not worry about applying a man created denomination to yourself, which is the norm of the time.

I very much agree with you. I'm a pretty flexible guy who won't seek to create drama or separate based on the interpretation of a verse or small theological difference. The Pentecostal church I grew up in believed that you had to speak in tongues to be saved. They were never really welcoming to my wife either.

In Europe, most Christians are Orthodox. Protestants had part of persecution from the Orthodox church. My argument with them was always, "We're both Christians. We both believe Jesus is the way to the Father." All I was told was that I wasn't part of the true faith... Thankfully, in United States people don't make a big deal out of your denomination. At the core, it's Jesus. Denominations come from interpretation differences.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I very much agree with you. I'm a pretty flexible guy who won't seek to create drama or separate based on the interpretation of a verse or small theological difference. The Pentecostal church I grew up in believed that you had to speak in tongues to be saved. They were never really welcoming to my wife either.

In Europe, most Christians are Orthodox. Protestants had part of persecution from the Orthodox church. My argument with them was always, "We're both Christians. We both believe Jesus is the way to the Father." All I was told was that I wasn't part of the true faith... Thankfully, in United States people don't make a big deal out of your denomination. At the core, it's Jesus. Denominations come from interpretation differences.

Glad to hear that, you are on the right way and understand, and i do not want to come of as anti church. But like try to keep church where it belongs behind The Messiah. And subject to close watch when they do not agree with the free gift of eternal life.

There is a place for works in the life of a believer but for the believers growth and eventual rewards but not to gain eternal life.
All the best.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟452,402.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like how in baptist churches things are more orderly and quiet than in a pentecostal one, at least in my country, but i like pentecostals because they seem to seek more actively the help of the Holy spirit.
That is just my impression on the matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't change my designation on CF because I still retain a Pentecostal theology and enjoy contributing and discussing on the Spirit-filled forums.

Just heard for the first time a visiting preacher Lisa Harper this morning, she said she's a "Bapticostal"... I remembered your post here, does that sound like you? :)

As for me, Presbyterian -> Baptist-> Spreydon Baptist (charismatic) -> other (brethren-like) ->Pentecostal

OP: There will be differences... but in the end what is important? certainly not denomination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HondaMan

Aug 24, 2015
✟11,947.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Just heard for the first time a visiting preacher Lisa Harper this morning, she said she's a "Bapticostal"... I remembered your post here, does that sound like you? :)

As for me, Presbyterian -> Baptist-> Spreydon Baptist (charismatic) -> other (brethren-like) ->Pentecostal

OP: There will be differences... but in the end what is important? certainly not denomination.
I have heard the term Bapticostal before. The Pentecostal church I grew up in believed the following:

You need to speak in tongues to be saved
You must wash each other's feet before communion
No earring or any kind of jewelry allowed
Head must always be covered
No coming to church if you had a baby and have not dedicated him to the Lord yet
If babies die, their eternity depends on the parents' salvation

These are some of the strange beliefs they had, which I didn't agree with.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

The important thing for me is having constant fellowship with God. I was a Pentecostal for two years and did all the right things, probably to excess, but I had never really met the Lord and no one in the church was able to introduce me to Him. They were able to introduce me to all the religious stuff, including tongues and prophecy, but I didn't know Jesus personally.

So when I went back to my parents' home in another city, I went out into the middle of a golf course in the late evening and introduced myself directly to God. I got all lit up inside like Times Square, and Jesus became very real to me, and I heard His voice for the first time. It is significant to me that I had to get away from that church environment to actually meet Jesus in person. This showed me that God is not the church, whatever denomination, and the denomination isn't God.

In some ways, I got into strife with some in the Charismatic church because of the way I saw God as being separate from the church. Just because a church teaches something, doesn't mean that God is automatically agreeing with it. I got accused of not cooperating with "the body of Christ" because I didn't toe the party line.

After 12 years with Pentecostal and Charismatic churches, I became disillusioned because what my last church taught and those in it conducted themselves did not match with what God was showing me in His Word. So I departed for "greener pastures", and that's when I discovered that no matter what denomination church I found myself in, Jesus was there waiting for me.

The interesting thing that happened to me when I left the Charismatic church was that I couldn't stop praying in tongues. I realised that it was a integral part of my personal fellowship with God and was not just an extension of the Charismatic church. If it was just part of being a member of a Charismatic church, the tongues would have ceased. It was also interesting that because one cannot pray out loud with tongues in Anglican, Baptist or Presbyterian churches, I found that it really enhanced my personal and private prayer life, and I discovered that a lot of public tongues praying in Pentecostal churches was for show to show others that one is a truly Spirit-filled believer. But when one is alone with God, there is no one else to impress, and putting on a religious show simply doesn't wash with Him. He told me so!

He encouraged me to be the real me, not a Pentecostal caricature of myself. He loves fellowshiping with real people, regardless of their shortcomings and faults. When I questioned Him about my shortcomings and faults, He told me to be just myself and what He didn't like about me, He would change me! So I just relaxed and put off all the religious show and carried on just being the real me. That was 1969, and ever since then, wherever my church wanderings have taken me, I have found the reality of Jesus always there.

Of course, I discovered that it is the Holy Spirit living in me, and this made it that wherever I went, I took the indwelling Jesus with me. That's what I told my Presbyterian church when I preached to them, that they didn't have to work up a worshipful atmosphere, because as soon as they walked in on a Sunday morning they brought the atmosphere with them. In fact, they were the atmosphere! I think that is what some Charismatics miss when they try to work up an atmosphere for God to move in their midst.

• Informative
Reactions: NBB
Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You need to speak in tongues to be saved
You must wash each other's feet before communion
No earring or any kind of jewelry allowed
Head must always be covered
No coming to church if you had a baby and have not dedicated him to the Lord yet
If babies die, their eternity depends on the parents' salvation

These are some of the strange beliefs they had, which I didn't agree with.

Bar the first one on the list, it almost sound like a Brethren church but yeah I'd run away from these Pharisees as well.

Upvote 0

SinoBen

May 23, 2018
Brisbane
✟21,698.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The important thing for me is having constant fellowship with God.
Bless you, thanks for your testimony Oscarr, valuable insights from your experiences. I'm totally with you on all points.

Upvote 0