Illinois
✟176,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That its basically watching a 4K HD TV rather than a 1080P HD TV. You get the same message but with a slightly deeper meaning. Is a response I got from a source to those wanting to learn Greek to read the Bible in Greek.

This sound accurate? Would this apply for other languages like Hebrew, or Aramaic, etc?

I've read a bunch of different type of Bibles and they all say the same thing, I don't know where this claim that Bibles are saying different things are coming from.
Example:
"5Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, "
or
"5Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers; 6"

This is ESV, and KJV some of the most popular Bible's. It proves that they are all God's Word and there is no monopoly. The English even gives the same message as the Greek, would it. And with the Holy Spirit it sure can help you give you the meaning, it's not limited to anything since its the Spirit of God.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,175.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Its not so much about "Septuagint vs English Bibles", but rather about "Septuagint vs Masoretic text". There are many differences, some are huge ones.

On the other hand, the Old Testament as such is not preserved well (Septuagint has also many readings or versions, some people even proposed its not one translation, but a common term for various independent Greek translations), but it does not matter, we are living under the New Covenant.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Its not so much about "Septuagint vs English Bibles", but rather about "Septuagint vs Masoretic text". There are many differences, some are huge ones.

On the other hand, the Old Testament as such is not preserved well (Septuagint has also many readings or versions, some people even proposed its not one translation, but a common term for various independent Greek translations), but it does not matter, we are living under the New Covenant.

It's not so much various Greek translations as it is a Greek translation of a single body of Hebrew texts. The Masoretic Text is a single text, even though it was distilled from numerous Hebrew originals. Prior to the Masoretic text there was no standard text of the Hebrew bible, but a number of texts here and there, none of which matched the others entirely.

It's something of a mistake to accept the Masoretic Text as authoritative, since it is actually no more authoritative than the Septuagint.

• Agree
Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,175.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not so much various Greek translations as it is a Greek translation of a single body of Hebrew texts. The Masoretic Text is a single text, even though it was distilled from numerous Hebrew originals. Prior to the Masoretic text there was no standard text of the Hebrew bible, but a number of texts here and there, none of which matched the others entirely.

It's something of a mistake to accept the Masoretic Text as authoritative, since it is actually no more authoritative than the Septuagint.
I personally also prefer Septuagint, even though I am a protestant. But we must realize that Septuagint as such is not preserved in some reliable way, either. Differences between Theodotion and Old Greek in for example Daniel are too many. Also, our primary sources of Septuagint are Codex Vaticanus, Sinaiticus and Alexandrinus. And these codeces differ from each other significantly...

So, when I want do know something from the Old testament, I go to the Brenton Septuagint first, then I check in the masoretic text, or in Ralph's edition, but I cannot build my life on any of it... the text is simply too old to know some random verse or word with certainity.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would say learning the original languages and then reading the text is like watching a black and white tv to watching a 4k tv. As to the LXX (Septuagint) I have not studied it to the extent as I have the Greek NT but I think it is useful to study. In places I believe it reflects an older reading of the OT and well as understanding. There does seem to be a renewed interest in the LXX from scholars as well.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I appreciate about the LXX is that it is a translation of Hebrew into Greek by Hebrew-speaking and Greek-speaking Jews who understood the historical context of Hebrew words and were able to convey the meaning into Greek. That is something that is lost to us today with respect to the ancient Hebrew. We may come across a word and may understand the etymology of the word, but we do not necessarily understand how the word was actually used. The translators of the LXX didn't have that particular handicap, at least not nearly to the extent that we have today. For example, I trust that the LXX translators knew what they were doing when they chose the Greek word for "virgin" ("the virgin shall conceive"); also with "they pierced my hands and my feet (as opposed to "like a lion my hands and my feet"); or "giant"; or "unicorn". Etc.

Upvote 0