✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
roughly 60% of gas stations were still dry Friday morning

The fuel, the pipeline and the gas stations are all independent of government. It has always been their responsibility to keep their property secure. The vulnerability to a cyber attack is relatively new compared to physical defences like fencing and padlocks but it is not entirely out of the blue. I expect a lot of businesses have had a fright over this event and will be dashing about trying to protect their own backs.

It is not the President's fault if you leave your back door open and a burglar takes your jewellery.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The fuel, the pipeline and the gas stations are all independent of government. It has always been their responsibility to keep their property secure. The vulnerability to a cyber attack is relatively new compared to physical defences like fencing and padlocks but it is not entirely out of the blue. I expect a lot of businesses have had a fright over this event and will be dashing about trying to protect their own backs.

It is not the President's fault if you leave your back door open and a burglar takes your jewellery.
And you know that they failed to protect themselves from who exactly? Hard for a company to fight a group that exists in a foreign country; sounds like a job for the federal government.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
And you know that they failed to protect themselves from who exactly? Hard for a company to fight a group that exists in a foreign country; sounds like a job for the federal government.
That's the thing though, the company doesn't need to fight. All they need to do is make sure that their cyber defenses are solid, which protects them from domestic threats as well.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That's the thing though, the company doesn't need to fight. All they need to do is make sure that their cyber defenses are solid, which protects them from domestic threats as well.
And you know that they didn't do that how? Given time every defense can be breached......Every company that deals in anti-virus/malware will admit they can't stop everything.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

My employer does phishing attempts on us to make sure we pay attention. Our CEO admitted he got caught as the phishing email was "from" the CFO.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,107.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Every company that deals in anti-virus/malware will admit they can't stop everything.

So let's blame the President!

What happened was a crime. We could decide that every crime should be laid at the serving President's door. Or you know, we could keep a sense of proportion.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So let's blame the President!
Who's blaming him?......not me.....not anyone else that I can see......(unless he encouraged the company to pay the ransom)...... What he is being criticized for is listening to people wanting to shut down pipelines instead of expanding their use......maybe that way we can have other lines to keep fuel flowing instead of just one that supplies the deep south and southern coastal states ........that is what he is being criticized for IMO.....

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
'President Biden’s second 100 days are off to a woeful start, including a gas shortage for much of the East Coast ...'

Well, somebody is!
I don't see in there where anyone claimed it is Biden's fault. They are talking about his 2nd 100 days and the difficult times it is facing not accusing him of causing it. You read far too much into such a simple statement of fact.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Looking at the (lack of) lines at gas stations in my area yesterday, we can shift from blaming Biden to thanking him for fixing the problem. I mean, surely a thread blaming the guy for something will be corrected to give him all due credit for repairing the damage. Right? Surely the credit and praise will flow just as profusely as all the complaining from before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you know that they didn't do that how? Given time every defense can be breached......Every company that deals in anti-virus/malware will admit they can't stop everything.

Of course. But there's a lot you can do to protect systems. Like making sure they are as isolated as possible from outside networks. Perhaps critical infrastructure like gas pipelines, electrical grids, etc should have their own network that is physically separate from the outside world.

I don't know what sort of protection the gas pipeline had, but given the stories I've heard of the woeful lack of security in utility companies, as well as even other big companies that you'd think would prioritize security, I'm not exactly confident of that.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Of course. But there's a lot you can do to protect systems. Like making sure they are as isolated as possible from outside networks. Perhaps critical infrastructure like gas pipelines, electrical grids, etc should have their own network that is physically separate from the outside world.

I don't know what sort of protection the gas pipeline had, but given the stories I've heard of the woeful lack of security in utility companies, as well as even other big companies that you'd think would prioritize security, I'm not exactly confident of that.

This is far easier said than done as so many systems are managed remotely or are virtual.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is far easier said than done as so many systems are managed remotely or are virtual.

Oh of course. We need to question how we go about doing that managing. Threats from internet attacks on critical infrastructure are a major issue. We may need to do a drastic re-think of how we are managing them. Isolate as many systems as possible.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh of course. We need to question how we go about doing that managing. Threats from internet attacks on critical infrastructure are a major issue. We may need to do a drastic re-think of how we are managing them. Isolate as many systems as possible.

I've been in IT for 20 years. You'd be surprised how many ways you can hack a system. When Target was hacked in 2013, they got in through the HVAC system.

Target Hackers Broke in Via HVAC Company – Krebs on Security

Upvote 0