SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
From Cosmetics to NASCAR, Calls for Racial Justice Are Spreading
In just under three weeks since the killing of George Floyd set off widespread protests, what started as a renewed demand for police reform has now roiled seemingly every sphere of American life, prompting institutions and individuals around the country to confront enduring forms of racial discrimination.

Many black Americans have been inundated with testaments and queries from white friends about fighting racism. And anti-racist activists have watched with some amazement as powerful white leaders and corporations acknowledge concepts like “structural racism’’ and pledge to make sweeping changes in personal and institutional behavior.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As much as I can't stand people not being treated as equals I have to say taking away their free will to be jerks is the wrong move. The Bible tells us that a day will come when we are seen as the problem. Our lives and freedoms will be on the chopping block. Will we all be hypocrites and say it was OK to take their voice but not ours? God gave us that free will to make our own path and do as good or as bad as we see fit.

What makes me feel uneasy about all of this is that I'm not seeing a push for equality or even perceived equality. I don't have the answers just opinions and I sure do hope this works out not get worse.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, equality. Lower the standards and work performance requirements so the weaker sex will appear equal. Say that they are in "combat" when really and actually, NOT in any situation of duty assignment at risk or extremely low risk of any actual engagement as compared to others in their unit. Allow them to NOT be equal and weaker than men but "adjust" the grading curve to make them "equal" and get promoted with lower capacity output receiving a higher score counting towards promotion points (re:military APFT.) Making men wear blouses instead of men's shirts as an integral part of the BDU (Battle Dress Uniform.) Utility companies started allowing the actual DRAGGING of ladders and such when they started allowing women to be line"men." Equality.

Agreed. I should clarify that I believe in equal opportunity but not forced equality. We all deserve a chance but we won't all achieve the same results no matter what.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Agreed. I should clarify that I believe in equal opportunity but not forced equality. We all deserve a chance but we won't all achieve the same results no matter what.
Those that often crow about forced equality claim incorrectly that someone is superior to another. Most of the time these folks simply want to maintain the privilege they enjoy in the society.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those that often crow about forced equality claim incorrectly that someone is superior to another. Most of the time these folks simply want to maintain the privilege they enjoy in the society.

You might be more privileged than me. Should you sacrifice so that I can have what you have without earning it?

Surely you oppose racism. Nobody should advance based solely on skin color. What I see lately isn't a push for equal opportunity. Don't wish for my privilege, I've been on top and lost it all. Wealth and health. My white skin didn't save me. God is the only thing that saves. Just remember that old saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
You might be more privileged than me. Should you sacrifice so that I can have what you have without earning it?

Surely you oppose racism. Nobody should advance based solely on skin color. What I see lately isn't a push for equal opportunity. Don't wish for my privilege, I've been on top and lost it all. Wealth and health. My white skin didn't save me. God is the only thing that saves. Just remember that old saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".
The fact that you acknowledge, "I've been on top," demonstrates you know you live in an unequal system. When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The fact that you acknowledge, "I've been on top," demonstrates you know you live in an unequal system. When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

I achieved what I worked towards. I went in debt I worked the hours, I sacrificed my family and yes I got everything I deserved. It wasn't privilege it was a relentless work ethic. I've met countless black business owners that achieved more and they worked for it. They also sacrificed everything for the American dream. I didn't coast because of privilege while they worked. Not one of those black guys asked for a handout. They worked their rearends off as I did. Nobody stood in their way that didn't also stand in my way. Some people want to be victims and some people don't have time for nonsense. Life is hard and the work is hard. We often find out to late in life that we wasted our lives worrying about the wrong things and we miss out on what God gave us.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I achieved what I worked towards. I went in debt I worked the hours, I sacrificed my family and yes I got everything I deserved. It wasn't privilege it was a relentless work ethic. I've met countless black business owners that achieved more and they worked for it. They also sacrificed everything for the American dream. I didn't coast because of privilege while they worked. Not one of those black guys asked for a handout. They worked their rearends off as I did. Nobody stood in their way that didn't also stand in my way. Some people want to be victims and some people don't have time for nonsense. Life is hard and the work is hard. We often find out to late in life that we wasted our lives worrying about the wrong things and we miss out on what God gave us.
Privilege is not about whether one has worked hard or not, it's about how systemic prejudices in society put others ahead of others. It has nothing to do with work ethic.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Privilege is not about whether one has worked hard or not, it's about how systemic prejudices in society put others ahead of others. It has nothing to do with work ethic.
I haven't heard the term "systemic prejudice" before. What is that?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Those that often crow about forced equality

There's no such thing as "forced equality". If you give someone a job because of their race, sex, identity, etc....you're just committing an injustice to everyone else who had to earn their jobs.

• Agree
Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums