From Bush, Unprecedented Negativity

DaveSZ

Jan 17, 2004
✟1,173.00
Faith
Deist
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1802&e=10&u=/washpost/a3222_2004may30

From Bush, Unprecedented Negativity

Mon May 31, 3:09 AM ET Add Top Stories - washingtonpost.com to My Yahoo!

By Dana Milbank and Jim VandeHei, Washington Post Staff Writers

It was a typical week in the life of the Bush reelection machine.

Last Monday in Little Rock, Vice President Cheney said Democratic presidential candidate John F. Kerry "has questioned whether the war on terror is really a war at all" and said the senator from Massachusetts "promised to repeal most of the Bush tax cuts within his first 100 days in office."

On Tuesday, President Bush (news - web sites)'s campaign began airing an ad saying Kerry would scrap wiretaps that are needed to hunt terrorists.

The same day, the Bush campaign charged in a memo sent to reporters and through surrogates that Kerry wants to raise the gasoline tax by 50 cents.

On Wednesday and Thursday, as Kerry campaigned in Seattle, he was greeted by another Bush ad alleging that Kerry now opposes education changes that he supported in 2001.

The charges were all tough, serious -- and wrong, or at least highly misleading. Kerry did not question the war on terrorism, has proposed repealing tax cuts only for those earning more than $200,000, supports wiretaps, has not endorsed a 50-cent gasoline tax increase in 10 years, and continues to support the education changes, albeit with modifications.

-continued

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
From the article:
[size=-1] Three-quarters of the ads aired by Bush's campaign have been attacks on Kerry. Bush so far has aired 49,050 negative ads in the top 100 markets, or 75 percent of his advertising. Kerry has run 13,336 negative ads -- or 27 percent of his total.
Bush must be awfully nervous about the election if he's so willing to endanger his own numbers just to sink Kerry's (it's well known that negative ads lead to drops in both the advertiser's and target's numbers - the hope of the negative campaigner is that the target's will drop more).
[/size]

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Billnew said:
Gores speech made Deans look like he was on tranquilizers.

KERRY=yes/no=no stand on anything

I had a different take on Gore's speech. I thought it was thrilling in those "emotional" spots. And the rest of it was well-worded and well-delivered. Solid, I say.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
SFBay said:
These negative ads(on both sides) is why I am sooo disgusted with politicians.
You make it sound as if there's no difference in negativity from the two, when Kerry, in terms of ads, is at least twice as positive.
I have to say, Gore's "speech" was just hilarious. He and Dean need to start a Scream Party.
Yeah, like, caring about stuff and stuff is, like, so lame. [/15-year old]

Upvote 0

2001MustangGT

FORD lover
May 27, 2004
reality
✟3,614.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Billnew said:
Why should Kerry use negitives.

Gore and the rest of the Democrats are throwing every rediculus charge they can must.

Gores speech made Deans look like he was on tranquilizers.

KERRY=yes/no=no stand on anything
And Bush’s press conferences make him look like he is in a “developmentally disabled” class.

Bush: “gee, I wish I had an answer for you, uhhhh…. ::deer in headlights:: I know something should pop in my head here…”

At least something did pop in Gore's head. Bush had to have done some very bad things to make boring old Gore get riled up like that!

And Bush’s actions before becoming president make him look like the evil Mongomery Burns. When Bush was in charge of Texas, he took the “most polluted city” crown from Los Angeles and put it smack in Houston.

Not only that, but remember that Bush lots the popular vote by over 500,000 votes.

So that means that in November, Bush will become the only president to have served one term while never winning the popular vote! ;)

Upvote 0

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
burrow_owl said:
From the article: Bush must be awfully nervous about the election if he's so willing to endanger his own numbers just to sink Kerry's (it's well known that negative ads lead to drops in both the advertiser's and target's numbers - the hope of the negative campaigner is that the target's will drop more).
[/size][/font]
Kerry doesn't need to air ANY negative ads... the news media is doing that for him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arnegrim

Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
2001MustangGT said:
At least something did pop in Gore's head.

Not only that, but remember that Bush lots the popular vote by over 500,000 votes.

So that means that in November, Bush will become the only president to have served one term while never winning the popular vote! ;)
Maybe Gore was thinking of how when he was Vice President, they were offered Bin Laden on a plate and refused... maybe he was thinking of improving the internet.

The presidency is not an issue of popular vote. GWB won.

By the way, Rutherford Hayes, Benjamin Harrison and John Quincy Adams did not win the popular vote but still won the presidency.

Upvote 0

Алексей

Jun 2, 2004
✟415.00
Faith
Christian
arnegrim said:
Maybe Gore was thinking of how when he was Vice President, they were offered Bin Laden on a plate and refused... maybe he was thinking of improving the internet.

The presidency is not an issue of popular vote. GWB won.

By the way, Rutherford Hayes, Benjamin Harrison and John Quincy Adams did not win the popular vote but still won the presidency.

Nope. Herr Bush lost Florida.

I suggest reading "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" by Greg Palast. I doubt you will read it, though, because the "liberal" media constantly reassure you that Bush is a nice (remember when he mocked Karla Faye Tucker, a Christian on death row, whimpering his lips saying "don't kill me?" And BTW, she never did this on Larry King as Bush claimed - how nice) honest man and he won fair and square!

Upvote 0

arnegrim

Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No... The Supreme Court ruled that GWB won Florida.

Interestingly, all the 'unofficial' recounts since the ruling show that GWB did win... not by much, but that doesn't matter.

And the 'liberal' media has been campaigning for Kerry for months now... they did nothing to quell the election results furor.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
arnegrim said:
And the 'liberal' media has been campaigning for Kerry for months now...

The what? Oh, you're "one of those."

Anyway, your statement reminded me of a comment I was going to make to this thread the other day. Rove and the other minions of the neo-Cons unleashed their dogs of war on talk radio as soon as it looked like Kerry would be the nominee. Every time I tune into knee jerk radio shows, it's nothing but attack after attack on Kerry. Twenty four hours a day the virtual propaganda machine of the far right makes any supposed "liberal" bias on the Evening News laughable. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums