Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember in science classes when it got too cold (no heaters), the teacher would just have us light up the bunsen burners for the duration.

Amazing how many things you can set fire too when the teacher's back is turned.

/good times

I once heard a story on the radio about prisoners smoking spinach swiped from the cafeteria and using the electrical outlets as an ignition source. I used that concept to light the carpet on fire when the teacher was out of the room. When she came back and asked what the burning smell was, we said someone down the hall had a birthday cake with a bunch of candles.

Upvote 0

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All schools are suffering from budget shortfalls after years of neglect and mismanagement under the previous administration. Winter comes every year; it is not a surprise, so these students should have jackets and gloves. The families also have the option of private schools or moving to either a better funded school that turns the heat on or a warmer location. It really just depends on how badly the parents want their children to get educated.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,557.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
All schools are suffering from budget shortfalls after years of neglect and mismanagement under the previous administration. Winter comes every year; it is not a surprise, so these students should have jackets and gloves. The families also have the option of private schools or moving to either a better funded school that turns the heat on or a warmer location. It really just depends on how badly the parents want their children to get educated.
Enlighten us, what has the current administration done for schools? It's been a year.

Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This strikes me as a bit odd - in the UK if there's a severe weather issue (to the extent that the students and staff cannot get safely to and from the school, or the school cannot be maintained above 16 degrees Celcius (about 61 F)) then the local authority is obliged to close the school for the day.
Usually this happens once a year or thereabouts either way (either the roads will be cleared, or the boiler will be given a sufficiently good kicking to get it to start up properly and heat the place up overnight).

In the cold snap we had just before Christmas there were of the order 3,000 schools closed for the day, it's basic health and safety. Does this not happen in the US?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
In the cold snap we had just before Christmas there were of the order 3,000 schools closed for the day, it's basic health and safety. Does this not happen in the US?

It's supposed to happen... the fact that it's not is what's making this newsworthy.

Upvote 0